Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Has anybody stopped to think that rich folks can afford to pack up and leave if the taxation gets overly punitive?
If I was a millionaire or billionaire, I would certainly take up residence someplace where they were aware that my money is MINE, even if I had to buy my own country!
Surely, there are tax havens somewhere on this planet...
I've already commented on that. It's why Warren Buffett did the Burger King tax inversion and BK corporate HQ left the US. Expect a similar albeit large scale exodus if overly punitive tax rates are implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Impossible to answer without having more information. We need to do something to close the budget deficit however. Trump never should have cut taxes to begin with. He has proven to be just as bad as George W, and the "King Of All Debt"....Barak Obama.
So true..

Who was the last branch in the federal government who sent a proposed spending cut anywhere.. By that I mean house, senate or president that introduced a bill or mission to cut spending.

We also rarely see tax increases.

My issue is both parties run on increasing the taxes on the super wealthy (Democrats) and never do when in charge..

And the other runs on "fiscal responsibility" "cutting expenses (Republicans) and never do when they are in charge..

Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
As a society we've got to do everything possible to take money from rich folks and give it to poor folks. Like Obama. All those millions of dollars that Netflix is paying him. He doesn't need it. These folks should be forced into sharing that largess. Seriously. If you have a million dollars in the bank, a house and car already paid for then you really don't need more money. Lots of folks that never had anything but a minimum wage job need a shot at having a little bit of that luxury.
Umm isn't Trump a billionaire? Why are you so worried about $ Obama is making now, Especially since he is out of office for over 2 years

Old 02-04-2019, 03:06 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've already commented on that. It's why Warren Buffett did the Burger King tax inversion and BK corporate HQ left the US. Expect a similar albeit large scale exodus if overly punitive tax rates are implemented.
Those are examples of business taxation, not personal liabilities (which this thread is about). I was waiting for someone to drop the "it will cost jobs" card...

Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Well you make a good argument for a flat tax rate.
I agree. There should be a flat tax rate. Every earner pays. Everyone. Earn little; pay little. Earn a lot; pay a lot. It would be more fair because it would be directly proportional to income.

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Taxes need to go up but 70% is ridiculous. Nobody should be forking over 70% of their income to the feds -- let's not also forget that these people have to pay state, sales, and property taxes as well.
Its marginal so nobody would be paying 70%. It would encourage investment in the company, higher salaries for employees, capital etc.

What is clear is the current trajectory of wealth inequality is unsustainable.

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
I agree. There should be a flat tax rate. Every earner pays. Everyone. Earn little; pay little. Earn a lot; pay a lot. It would be more fair because it would be directly proportional to income.
Agreed.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:11 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So corporate executives don't rob capital from the labor class.

Do you hate Robin Hood?

Do you think voting against the aristocracy was stealing their power?
Are you seriously comparing the federal government to Robin Hood? More like the Sherrif of Nottingham.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 PM

638 posts, read 240,596 times
I am all for this 70% tax bracket if the Democrats also agree that ALL Americans pay a minimum 15%, no more of half the country paying $0 in income tax..

Old 02-04-2019, 03:15 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Agreed.
70% flat tax?? Just kidding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies