Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM

958 posts, read 304,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
That explains why today's NFL punters and kickers seem so much better than they did in the '70s and '80s.
Exactly right. In the 60s and early 70s, the kickers made half of their field goals. Maybe a little higher. If you watch a game from the early 70s, and they miss a field goal, it's no big deal. Today, it's a huge deal if they miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 AM

958 posts, read 304,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So just another opportunity to ignore science?
Political scams aren't science. They're political scams.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:28 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My mom would not let me play. I turned to drugs and alcohol to be popular.
Pretty much every football player I knew in high school did drugs and alcohol. They were also extremely narcissistic. I'm pretty sure football was not going to stop you from getting high whenever you felt like it.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Pretty much every football player I knew in high school did drugs and alcohol. They were also extremely narcissistic. I'm pretty sure football was not going to stop you from getting high whenever you felt like it.
I call BS on your post. You knew / know what every single one of them did? You have no idea what a teammate might have be able to do to help someone .Speak for yourself not for people you have no clue about.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:54 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
My boys play. They want to, and I'm not going to tell them no. They're not sitting at home with Xbox, they're active, they're learning how to work as a team; overall it's a positive experience. There has been one kid in three years get a concussion. Guess what? Our scout leader's daughter got a concussion from basketball, and a pitcher in baseball got a serious concussion when he got hit in the head by a ball that came straight at him at about 90 mph. Our friend's son missed three weeks of college because he lost his balance during training for track, and hit his head on the wall beside him.

Not saying there's no reason for concern, but it seems like it's been blown a bit out of proportion. They also teach HEADS UP tackling now, and there are serious consequences for hitting another player when you lead with the helmet. I've seen a boy suspended from two games. These younger boys are learning differently, and until you get college (or maybe varsity, depending on how good area teams are), the risks don't seem bad enough to outweigh the positives for us.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
My boys play. They want to, and I'm not going to tell them no. They're not sitting at home with Xbox, they're active, they're learning how to work as a team; overall it's a positive experience. There has been one kid in three years get a concussion. Guess what? Our scout leader's daughter got a concussion from basketball, and a pitcher in baseball got a serious concussion when he got hit in the head by a ball that came straight at him at about 90 mph. Our friend's son missed three weeks of college because he lost his balance during training for track, and hit his head on the wall beside him.

Not saying there's no reason for concern, but it seems like it's been blown a bit out of proportion. They also teach HEADS UP tackling now, and there are serious consequences for hitting another player when you lead with the helmet. I've seen a boy suspended from two games. These younger boys are learning differently, and until you get college (or maybe varsity, depending on how good area teams are), the risks don't seem bad enough to outweigh the positives for us.
Besides the fitness aspect of playing sports, sports also without question builds character. I am sad to say, that youth participation in sports is in somewhat of a decline. However the good news is those that do participate are more competitive then ever.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Come on now? Yea some may of put down some beer at a party, or smoked a joint on occasion, but to say everyone on the Football team did drugs and alcohol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies