Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The news media has been mostly liberal at least since:
before the 1930s 2 5.00%
the 1930s 1 2.50%
the 1940s 0 0%
the 1950s 0 0%
the 1960s 12 30.00%
the 1970s 9 22.50%
the 1980s 4 10.00%
no decade, since the news media is not actually liberal. 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

It went back very far, not just the Vietnam war. My husband just finished reading a very comprehensive book about Churchill, a lot base on facts and research, and back then before England was entering the war with Hitler, the British paper had a print with the word PEACE, can you believe it, Peace with Hitler would have made zero difference, it’s just a temporary state until Hitler get ready to swallow you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
The news media has been mostly liberal ever since they kept trying to say Obama was born in America even though those of us on the right know he was born in Kenya.
You should know better than to bring the conspiracy up here

Old 02-05-2019, 04:09 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Since the 80's when Fox News decided to become partisan news for the right. Took CNN a while to come around, they acted like democrats and tried to play fair but it was futile effort.

There are still non-partisan news sources despite the whining to the contrary by people who use terms like lame stream media. The sad fact, though, is they actually call politicians to task from both parties and while the left deals with their miscreants when they're exposed the right complains continually about it being unfair and blames the messenger.
Fox didn't go on the air until 1996.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:12 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
The media has been continuously liberal at least since the Kennedy election in 1960. Nixon would not have resigned if there had been a conservative media like Fox news at that time but liberals controlled all speech at that time. Fortunately now, there is an alternative media that is more balanced such as Fox News.

Fun fact, I say some magazines from the 1960's at an antique store and it was obvious that they were very liberal even then.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:13 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The Fox network started in '86. They had news.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:16 PM

45,367 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Oops. There goes his theory.

As with every discussion about the news media many can't distinguish between "Editorial" and "Reporting". Unfortunately many of those assigned to " Reporting" think they're "Editorial". I include the print media in that.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:16 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
ooold quote:
“Th’ newspaper does ivrything f’r us. It runs th’ polis foorce an’ th’ banks, commands th’ milishy, controls th’ ligislachure, baptizes th’ young, marries th’ foolish, comforts th’ afflicted, afflicts th’ comfortable, buries th’ dead an’ roasts thim aftherward.”

liberal? conservative?
(i abhore the progressive appellation)

Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM

45,367 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
The Fox network started in '86. They had news.
They didn't even have a full schedule. Any news that was on Fox affiliates at that time was local.

Stop making **** up.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:29 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The media has been continuously liberal at least since the Kennedy election in 1960. Nixon would not have resigned if there had been a conservative media like Fox news at that time but liberals controlled all speech at that time. Fortunately now, there is an alternative media that is more balanced such as Fox News.

Fun fact, I say some magazines from the 1060's at an antique store and it was obvious that they were very liberal even then.
Just curious - were you around and old enough to comprehend what was happening (i.e., in your early teens or so, old enough to understand that Kennedy had defeated Nixon in the presidential election) in 1960?

Do you really believe liberals "controlled all speech" in 1974, when Nixon resigned as a result of the Watergate break-in and resulting scandal? That was 14 years after 1960, and it's unclear which date you are referring to in your post above.

"U.S. News and World Report" was one of the big three American weekly news magazines in both 1960 and 1974, the other two being "Time" and "Newsweek". It was distinctly conservative. My parents subscribed to all three, and I started reading all three regularly in my early teens (i.e., the early 1960s). It was interesting to compare each magazine's coverage of the same events, and also to watch network news coverage each evening (my family generally watched NBC Nightly News, then named the Huntley-Brinkley report, for Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, iconic newscasters who did their jobs with great panache, knowledge, and dignity.)

It was considerably later, after the Fairness Doctrine was overturned, that right-wing radio became unavoidable without considerable effort, and local radio stations dwindled. There seemed to be no governor on their wild accusations and claims, usually delivered in highly dramatic tones and terms. Callers who offered other points of view were routinely rudely treated and cut off. Scare tactics were common. Later the Internet boomed, and political websites of all kinds popped up - something for everyone. Many came to follow only those individuals and sites which confirmed their own previous beliefs and affiliations - confirmation bias.

And the people of our wonderful country became more and more divided, and those who saw the opportunity for wealth and power and control took full advantage of that opportunity. It is only now, after things reached the current level of dysfunction and division, that most folks started saying, "Hey, wait a minute!" and took a closer look at what has resulted. I pray they are not too late.

(p.s. I did have to smile at your original typo - 1060s - in your "fun fact" above - you really should donate those "magazines from the 1060s" to your nearest museum, library, or university - especially if they covered the Magna Carta.)

Old 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
The only reason CNN even really became successful is because of that girl(baby Jessica) that fell in the well in the backyard of a house in Texas.

Now they are just liberal propaganda so yea this has been since the 80s or so. Turner screwed it up since just like he screwed up the WCW when he bought out Jim Crockett Promotions in the late 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies