Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:58 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
national statistic that fails to acknowledge that half of americans don't live in high col areas... $18/hr is decent outside of high col areas
Exactly.

$18/hour is $37,440 annually for a full time employee. In my area, that's pretty decent money. Many jobs at that level are going to require a college degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unions peaked in the 50’s, when McJob type functions were often a part of collective bargaining agreements. They paid enough and provided benefits and pensions.

Since the 70’s, technology substitution/ industrial robotics has eliminated more job functions than jobs outsourced. It has allowed for increased productivity with substantially fewer people. Middle management has been hollowed out.

Anyone remember the old guy in Vermont who left $8 million to his local library? Prior to retirement he worked as a janitor and then gas station attendant. He lived within his means.

A very generalized statement that doesn't completely tell the truth.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You don't have to outrun the Bear, you just need to outrun the other hikers.

Boeing can choose to employ only the top few engineers.
And gets to make big WHOOOOSH noises while they do it.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And, of course, never mind those unworthies who weren't good enough. I know. Darwin rulz.

The only flaw in the OP is nailing the discussion down to a particular hourly rate. A McJob is a McJob, regardless of any specific number out of context from a COL/QOL matrix. I'm sure there are McDonald's workers in Manhattan making $25 an hour.
Minimum wage in NYC increased to $15/ hr on 1/1/2019.

McDonalds was typically paying $10+/- hr before this for counter service.

Most McDonalds are converting to self- order/ pay machines and reducing order takers/ cashiers to a minimum.

I have been inside McDonalds with only one register/ cashier and several kiosks.

Someone bags your order, calls your number and hand hands you a cup to fill with your beverage of choice.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
... I think families and communities need to pull together
to ensure that no members of their families are put in a situation that compels them to take such jobs.
And the #1 item on that list? Create fewer children and grands.
However much you have, time or cash, divided by few will go a LOT farther than divided by more.

If the low end of employment world had accepted that message back in the early 70's...
in much the way that those who do raise their kids for better lives did...
then they too c/would have prevented almost every bit of what they face today.
Attached Thumbnails
The rise of the McJob-life-magazine-cover-april-1970.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 02-06-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And the #1 item on that list? Create fewer children and grands.
However much you have, time or cash, divided by few will go a LOT farther than divided by more.

If the low end of employment world had accepted that message back in the early 70's...
in much the way that those who do raise their kids for better lives did...
then they too c/would have prevented almost every bit of what they face today.
I agree, never to late to start

The ironic thing is the millennial shaming of living with parents, even married couples living in the family home to insulate themselves from vultures and undesirable circumstance that drives people to take McJobs.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:38 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how to generate graphs on the dept of labor web site to show what percentage of americans in the work force are making $18/hr or less at 40 hours a week

Is there a way to sort over 18 under 18 and then sort by part time full time while keeping the hourly dollar amount in the sort?

I was reading an article that stated over half of americans in the work force are making at or under $18/hr which I would constitute as a McJob.

People like to tout all this jobs growth but then people get offended (someone at work got upset when I said we should be teaching kids to avoid McJobs at all costs once they pass 20 years old even if they have to live at home or in a van and work on building skills and get an education).

Should americans take a stand against the McJob economy and families pull together and tell crap companies to take a hike we are not working here. Or if you dont have family just opt to live out of your car and be homeless instead of working like a slave in a McJob.

If it is in fact true that over half of working americans are making less than 18 hr then we truely are one of the dumbest populations on earth if we keep voting GOP.

BUT I dont know if it is true ....
if I was a loser, I'd choose to live in a car. Get a station wagon, spread out.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...insulate themselves from vultures and undesirable circumstance that drives people to take McJobs.
what drives them to McJobs is not having the practical and useful skills to be able to earn more or do better.
Something that would set them apart from the 200 other slack jawed applicants that show up....
and allow them to not even have to consider the McJob category whatsoever.

Anecdote: 24yo College grad who can't do better than be a SBUX barista at $8/hr whines
while preparing the latte for the 19yo electrician apprentice earning $18/hr + benefits.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-06-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 06:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I wouldn't want my kids to work past high school graduation for something like fast food. I don't think it teaches anything beyond being on time and following rules in a non-school environment. After that , it's settling for something demeaning and un-challenging. Unpaid internships in fields of interest are far more beneficial. Spoken from experience not from an ivory tower. I had any manner of crap jobs into my 20's before I started going in the right direction.
Does this mean that McDonalds or WalMart shouldn't be open during school hours?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how to generate graphs on the dept of labor web site to show what percentage of americans in the work force are making $18/hr or less at 40 hours a week

Is there a way to sort over 18 under 18 and then sort by part time full time while keeping the hourly dollar amount in the sort?

I was reading an article that stated over half of americans in the work force are making at or under $18/hr which I would constitute as a McJob.

People like to tout all this jobs growth but then people get offended (someone at work got upset when I said we should be teaching kids to avoid McJobs at all costs once they pass 20 years old even if they have to live at home or in a van and work on building skills and get an education).

Should americans take a stand against the McJob economy and families pull together and tell crap companies to take a hike we are not working here. Or if you dont have family just opt to live out of your car and be homeless instead of working like a slave in a McJob.

If it is in fact true that over half of working americans are making less than 18 hr then we truely are one of the dumbest populations on earth if we keep voting GOP.

BUT I dont know if it is true ....
Wait - are you considering $18 an hour to be a bad salary? There are a lot of people that are pretty excited to be getting $14. I don't think the issue is to teach kids to "avoid" a McJob but rather to convince them of the importance of education.

Meanwhile, did you try calling the Department of Labor to ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies