Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Trump 63 56.76%
Reparations Democrat Nominee 28 25.23%
Third Party 12 10.81%
Not vote at all 8 7.21%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

I vote we ban polls on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
American Blacks shouldn't blame Republicans because the Democrat party panders to them. Democrats tel them they are a "victim" then walks away from them after the elections are over.

Do any of you honestly think that Hillary Clinton will ever be seen again in a Black owned BBQ in SC, or anywhere of the South? This while talking with her Aunt Jemima accent and bottle of hot sauce in tow. No. It's was a show, which the CBC put on to keep their voters on the "script".

They don't call them it the Democrat Plantation for nothing.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bank bailouts were of the order of $1 trillion in an attempt to stabilize a global economy that was teetering on failure. While I disagree with the measure (should have let the banks fail), such a measure "benefitted" all citizens- black and white.

Blacks make up 12% of the population. Why do you think the other 88% would support giving a large fraction of their paycheck to you?

Who "built the nation"? It certainly was not black slaves. The bulk of the nation was built and expanded by white northern European settlers, not slaves.

Who continues to build the nation? Certainly the nation is not fueled by the 12% of blacks. In fact, with large percentages receiving federal support, one would consider them to be a liability, not a driver of industry.

Why do you feel entitled to steal the inheritance of a parent to their children?

Do you understand that most inherited wealth is gone after 3 generations? Do you know what happened to the Vanderbilts?

My ancestors fought for the Union to free slaves. Should that not be rewarded with greater "reparations"?

My ancestors helped to "sod bust" and introduce agriculture to the Midwest. Why are we not entitled to "reparations" for those efforts?

If blacks received "reparations", should they not have to reimburse the federal government for all the support given to blacks prior to that? If so, blacks would owe the federal treasury far more than the cost of reparations. Why not do an accounting of past benefits and see who is owed what?
Black people as a group didn't benefit from the bailouts. Actually, we are the only group who still haven't begun to recover from the 2007 recession. White wealth has bounced back, yet for us, by 2053 or earlier, our median wealth will drop to zero.

Slaves built the wealth of this nation. That wealth was then used to create more wealth for others. Black people had their wealth stolen in racial violence, long after the end of slavery. So we were the free labor, and cheap labor that built the wealthy class of this nation. That is the foundation of America.

Stop it with all the "my ancestors fought for the Union" stuff. They didn't fight to end slavery. They fought, and got their pensions. Of course if what you say is true, in that they fought for black people, why did they let the South re-enslave black people with the installation of Jim Crow laws? If you can answer that question for me, that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Obama was a great success given the fact that he inherited a plummeting economy. President Obama and Clinton's approval rating has been high among black folks throughout their term. Most black Americans don't feel the way you do about President Obama but they feel that way about Individual 1. So I disagree there. If anyone expects any president to be a savior for one group, they need to re-examine history and US politics. The issue of reparations is non-existent and irrelevant.

I would vote for any Republican or Democrat over Individual 1 except his own family and corrupt administration. It has nothing to do with the irrelevant subject of reparations. It has to do with the lies, corruption, foreign adversity financial ties, his failed attention to social injustices, climate change, no health care, gun or immigration reform, a failed tax plan etc.
So you would be on board with the reparations candidate here if this was the scenario?

Old 02-06-2019, 09:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Almost every election for black Americans, we have to choose between the candidate who will do the least amount of harm to our community. In spite Democratic candidates needing black Americans vote in a block to win elections, and most certainly to win primaries, we are the most ignored group in America. The data points this out magnificently! Now, we thought things would change when Obama came on the scene. He was a massive failure to say the least. Not only was he a failure, he then endorsed Ms. Super Predator herself to be the next president. Which once again it became voting between the lesser of two evils in Hillary vs. Trump.

So I've been thinking about something. I've been thinking when have white Americans (who are the majority in this nation) had to choose between the lesser of two evils? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of white Americans saw Hillary as evil, and had to hold their nose when voting for her. I'm sure a lot of white Republicans thought the same way about Trump. However, I just don't think they fully felt the same way as black Americans felt, particularly after Obama. It was then I had an "AH HA!" scenario....

Let's say we now have a Democrat nominee for the 2020 election. This candidate who will be going up against Trump, has a policy for reparations given to the American descendants of slaves. It will be a 14 trillion dollar investment over the span of many years. My question to everyone is if this were the scenario, for those who can't stand Trump and think anyone would be better, would you vote for this Democrat nominee? Or would you go third party or not vote at all?

let me clue you into something here, EVERY election is a choice between the lesser of two evils. there is no politician that is going to be a perfect match for your personal beliefs, and no politician is going to do everything they promise, though many try, things get in the way, like other politicians.

as for me i will not vote for the pansy "social justice warriors" types of politicians, as they end up screwing everyone. i would rather vote for someone that will encourage freedom.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
Quote:
Black people as a group didn't benefit from the bailouts. Actually, we are the only group who still haven't begun to recover from the 2007 recession. White wealth has bounced back, yet for us, by 2053 or earlier, our median wealth will drop to zero.

Slaves built the wealth of this nation. That wealth was then used to create more wealth for others. Black people had their wealth stolen in racial violence, long after the end of slavery. So we were the free labor, and cheap labor that built the wealthy class of this nation. That is the foundation of America.

Stop it with all the "my ancestors fought for the Union" stuff. They didn't fight to end slavery. They fought, and got their pensions. Of course if what you say is true, in that they fought for black people, why did they let the South re-enslave black people with the installation of Jim Crow laws? If you can answer that question for me, that would be great.

So you would be on board with the reparations candidate here if this was the scenario?
What you believe is nonsense. How did slaves 'build the wealth of this nation' when only a small % even owned slaves? You are buying into a victimhood narrative that is completely fabricated.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Almost every election for black Americans, we have to choose between the candidate who will do the least amount of harm to our community. In spite Democratic candidates needing black Americans vote in a block to win elections, and most certainly to win primaries, we are the most ignored group in America. The data points this out magnificently! Now, we thought things would change when Obama came on the scene. He was a massive failure to say the least. Not only was he a failure, he then endorsed Ms. Super Predator herself to be the next president. Which once again it became voting between the lesser of two evils in Hillary vs. Trump.

So I've been thinking about something. I've been thinking when have white Americans (who are the majority in this nation) had to choose between the lesser of two evils? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of white Americans saw Hillary as evil, and had to hold their nose when voting for her. I'm sure a lot of white Republicans thought the same way about Trump. However, I just don't think they fully felt the same way as black Americans felt, particularly after Obama. It was then I had an "AH HA!" scenario....

Let's say we now have a Democrat nominee for the 2020 election. This candidate who will be going up against Trump, has a policy for reparations given to the American descendants of slaves. It will be a 14 trillion dollar investment over the span of many years. My question to everyone is if this were the scenario, for those who can't stand Trump and think anyone would be better, would you vote for this Democrat nominee? Or would you go third party or not vote at all?
I can tell you that I would never vote for anyone, (R or D) who had a platform for "reparations" for any group, be it blacks, browns, yellows, reds, etc.
Our country and culture (unlike many others) does not attribute sins of the parents to the children. Obviously in this case it would be the sins of at least the great great grandparents to the great great grandchildren.
You go down that path, and everyone will have a grievance, claiming their ancestors were held back, abused, and they need to get a piece of the free money.
If you want to talk about a divisive way to break this constitutional republic apart, that would be a blueprint for it.
Hence the reason the Alinsky/Soros leftist types would be in support of it.

That of course does not even cover which white people are descendants of slave owners and which ones are not. Nor does it presumably differentiate which blacks are actual descendants of slaves, and which ones are not.
So how can you collectively say who pays and who receives such "reparations" with any certainty?

Also, should there be compensation to all the white folks whose decadents fought and died in the civil war trying to free the slaves?
Or should they just not be required to pay?
What about the black folks descendants who were involved in owning and/or selling slaves. Do they pay, or even worse, get compensation for something their ancestors were actually guilty of themselves?
All just because the color of their skin is black?

I understand the simplistic notion of saying group XYZ is collectively guilty by association (in this case skin color), and another XYZ group is the victim by the same parameter. Fortunately our country/culture does not believe in that, but if we ever do, Pandora's Box will forever be open to perpetual grievance and resentment.

`

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
What you believe is nonsense. How did slaves 'build the wealth of this nation' when only a small % even owned slaves? You are buying into a victimhood narrative that is completely fabricated.
It's funny you say slaves didn't build the wealth of this nation, but in your own quotes you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
"The great majority of Southern farmers owned no slaves or owned fewer than five slaves. Slaves were much more expensive than land."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planta...American_South

Slaves were worth more than all other industry in this nation combined back in the 1800s. The North benefited from slavery with textile industry, insurance companies, they also exported cotton to Europe and other nations. Schools like Georgetown University exists solely because of the selling of their slaves to pay their debt. Some used the selling of slaves to pay off school TUITION. Everyone was involved in this, and the wealth slavery created is still here.

Think about this, if the former slaves got their reparations in land, that would have prevented some of these European immigrants from getting the land they got. Like Jeff Bezos's family for example. What if the land his family owned, went to the slaves and their descendants? All that opportunity that white immigrants got, should have went to black Americans, who deserved it! We can't get those times back in this day and age. Only reparations will save us.

Last edited by Heavenese; 02-06-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:

I will NEVER vote for H. Clinton. I also won't vote for someone who leans far left on the spectrum.

But even if there's a moderate Dem running - if they're running on a platform that includes reparations - you can count on me voting against them.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I can tell you that I would never vote for anyone, (R or D) who had a platform for "reparations" for any group, be it blacks, browns, yellows, reds, etc.
Our country and culture (unlike many others) does not attribute sins of the parents to the children. Obviously in this case it would be the sins of at least the great great grandparents to the great great grandchildren.
You go down that path, and everyone will have a grievance, claiming their ancestors were held back, abused, and they need to get a piece of the free money.
If you want to talk about a divisive way to break this constitutional republic apart, that would be a blueprint for it.
Hence the reason the Alinsky/Soros leftist types would be in support of it.

That of course does not even cover which white people are descendants of slave owners and which ones are not. Nor does it presumably differentiate which blacks are actual descendants of slaves, and which ones are not.
So how can you collectively say who pays and who receives such "reparations" with any certainty?

Also, should there be compensation to all the white folks whose decadents fought and died in the civil war trying to free the slaves?
Or should they just not be required to pay?
What about the black folks descendants who were involved in owning and/or selling slaves. Do they pay, or even worse, get compensation for something their ancestors were actually guilty of themselves?
All just because the color of their skin is black?

I understand the simplistic notion of saying group XYZ is collectively guilty by association (in this case skin color), and another XYZ group is the victim by the same parameter. Fortunately our country/culture does not believe in that, but if we ever do, Pandora's Box will forever be open to perpetual grievance and resentment.

`
The reason why you say these things is because you don't fully know the entire scope of our existence in this country. The funny thing is, reparations given to American descendants of slaves, would be the one thing that would save this country.

You just don't understand the times we are living in. You don't understand how well black Americans have been locked out of this country. How much was stolen from them, to this day. It's because you ignore all of that, you make these statements.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
Quote:

When is this idea going to stop, there is not a person alive today that was a "Slave", you want reparations for something that was inflicted upon your great grand parents, get over it. It's time to put the past where it belongs, in the past. How can you build a better future when your only direction of view in behind you. I'm not saying we forget the past, but we need to stop making people in this country pay for the past mistakes of others just because of their skin color.

How about we pay reparations to the Natives Americans in this country, they were treated far worse than slaves. The Blacks got the right to vote in 1870, hell, the Native Americans were not even granted citizenship until 1927, and this was their country in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies