Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,746,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Do you think if the dems are given a pass on this one that they'll return the favor if the situation comes up again in the reverse? No, they will simply say "well this time it's different" and continue on with their crusade. At some point they've got to realize that all this tactic of digging 30 years in to people's past for dirt is doing is tearing apart the cohesion of our society. It's time for them to back off on this crap. Maybe making them realize that they're wielding a double edged sword will help them realize it more quickly.

But you're not entirely wrong. If Northam goes down we get to eat popcorn and watch dems get hoisted by their own petard, and if he gets away with it we'll have a precedent to point to next time they try this on another republican. It looks like a win/win from my seat in the bleachers.
The problem with this line of thinking is that the wacky left will ignore any precedent that may have been set. They still put forth the notion that a vicious teenager in a red hate attacked a Vietnam vet Indian Elder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This blackface business is part of southern culture like the stars and bars. It's what they do when they party. We can't kick people out in VA for doing this when they were kids. Won't be anyone left.
No it's not. Born and raised in the South - far deeper than VA and blackface is not part of southern culture anytime in the modern era. The few who donned blackface were not average everyday Southerners and thus not the culture. You see people like Kimmel or Robert Downey Jr do it for sketches and whatnot but again, has nothing to do with Southern culture. When they politicians donned blackface, it was, like today, considered racist and very, very poor taste in the South.

And no, it's not what Southerners do when they party. This has to be one of the most bizarre claims I've seen here on CD.

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Apparently it is just as bad. Besides the photo or Northam, people are outraged about his dressing up like Michael Jackson for a dance competition. It doesn't matter your intent--like if you are honoring an entertainer because you like them so much. It just cannot be done.

Unfortunately college kids in the 80s didn't think much about that. There were tons of white kids dressing up as Michael Jackson and Prince in the 1980s.
It wasn't a crime in the 80s to imitate and make yourself appear like someone you admired. In some ways, the 80s were less racist than today.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean, is it a Virginia thing? I was in college in the 80's and I never heard of anyone doing it; never thought about it; and I never saw anyone do it.

What is the attraction?
Wasn't a Georgia thing, I can tell you that. I was in middle school to high school in the 80s and my sister was in college then. Never ever saw anyone do it there or even think of doing so. And I was in deep, deep, deep South Georgia.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,746,243 times
It's horse **** to say its a southern thing...google up wacky leftists like jimmy kimmel or ted damson blackface and get back to us.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
The problem with this line of thinking is that the wacky left will ignore any precedent that may have been set. They still put forth the notion that a vicious teenager in a red hate attacked a Vietnam vet Indian Elder.
I think there's a good chance you're right which is why my first choice is hoisting them by their own petard. If it goes the other way though I'd like to have a silver lining. They will be complete hypocrites about it but the alt media does have a bigger voice than it had before.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I think that all 15 year olds should enter a time machine and go forward about 15 years, to find out if the future them is interested in a career in politics. If so, they should go forward another 25 years to find out what is and is not socially acceptable, according to the SJWs of the world (or whatever they'll be called in the future), so that they can then return to their 15-year-old selves and make sure that they do or don't do whatever is necessary to avoid offending anybody when they are in their mid-50s and entering the heights of their political careers.

Not that it'll matter. Using a time machine will probably be considered "racist" by then.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean, is it a Virginia thing? I was in college in the 80's and I never heard of anyone doing it; never thought about it; and I never saw anyone do it.

What is the attraction?
That's my question, too. I, too, was in college in the 80's and I never heard of anyone doing it; never thought about it; and I never saw anyone do it.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Wasn't a Georgia thing, I can tell you that. I was in middle school to high school in the 80s and my sister was in college then. Never ever saw anyone do it there or even think of doing so. And I was in deep, deep, deep South Georgia.
And I grew up in Alabama and West Virginia! I didn't see anyone in blackface either!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think that all 15 year olds should enter a time machine and go forward about 15 years, to find out if the future them is interested in a career in politics. If so, they should go forward another 25 years to find out what is and is not socially acceptable, according to the SJWs of the world (or whatever they'll be called in the future), so that they can then return to their 15-year-old selves and make sure that they do or don't do whatever is necessary to avoid offending anybody when they are in their mid-50s and entering the heights of their political careers.

Not that it'll matter. Using a time machine will probably be considered "racist" by then.
sad but true.

odd that drudgereport still hasn't picked up on this now-hours-old news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies