Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm ashamed to say that in the 5th grade I went trick or treating as an Indian (female). I loved that costume. My mom handmade the dress. I had fringe all over the hem and a headdress and everything.
Why are you ashamed? When I was nine, or ten years old, I went trick or treating as an Indian Chief. My Mom also made the costume. And guess what, at four years old (almost five) I went to my Kindergarten's Halloween day as a Confederate Soldier. There had been a TV show at the time with Nick Adams called "The Rebel" so it was a popular theme of the day. Complete with gray uniform, Confederate Flag, sidearm, and trailing a cannon. I am not ashamed of that at all.

Of course, today I would have been arrested, or at least suspended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why be ashamed that how it was, remember the Pocahontas costume after the Disney film that is far more recent. Only with a costume for Disney's Moana did someone raise the cultural insensitivity flag.

When I grew up Cowboy & Indian costumes were the norm today kids wouldn't bother because there's not an app for that.....
I'm not really ashamed, it was more sarcasm and to show that for us "older" folks (I'm in my 50s), it's going to be hard to run for office when you start sorting through our pasts.

We probably grew up around the same time and we were ALWAYS outside. Cowboys and Indians were a big game for us too. I always preferred to be an Indian. I thought they were just so cool (in my elementary school brain).

Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I'm also in the same age bracket and most of our upbringing would be denounced in this under the microscope world today. I always like to point out how National Geographic helped permeate the stereotypes we developed about the world beyond our street.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
What gives with these democrats? 2 are hypocrites beyond belief and one is some kind of sexual predator, yet they throw feces at everyone else like it's going out of style. You guys are screwed and screwed up.
What is the deal in Virginia? Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it does. Was going black face a local Virginia phenomenon back in the day?

I personally think it's silly to go ape-****e about what college kids did as a prank or for Halloween but it's a case of Demonic's eating their own due to their hypocrisy so that part I enjoy.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

I personally think it's silly to go ape-****e about what college kids did as a prank or for Halloween but it's a case of Demonic's eating their own due to their hypocrisy so that part I enjoy.
Well, at least they aren't hypocrites about it. You pointed out the hypocrisy. It's not hypocrisy, it's irony. hey make "their own" play by their own rules versus just making them about one side. They are anything but hypocrites.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Virginia isn't "the South".

I'm originally from upstate New York.

Lived for over twenty years in North Carolina and recently moved to Virginia.

And I can tell you that Virginia is in many ways more "Southern" than North Carolina even though it's geographically farther north.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
What is the deal in Virginia? Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it does. Was going black face a local Virginia phenomenon back in the day?

It's interesting, enjoyable and ultimately, kind of sad that in some cases, good people are being destroyed over allegations of racism that were likely stupid kid events.

Too bad they wasted this kind of activity on Brett Kavanaugh first. It would have been so simple, so logical, so just to simply avoid this completely.

Reap/sow. Goes around/comes around.

Somewhere, someone is going through every leading politician's high school and college yearbooks looking for old, incriminating photographs.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm originally from upstate New York.

Lived for over twenty years in North Carolina and recently moved to Virginia.

And I can tell you that Virginia is in many ways more "Southern" than North Carolina even though it's geographically farther north.
Have to agree. Once you get down past Richmond, it's very southern. Then when you get into southwestern VA, that in itself is more like rural Kentucky or Tennessee and also has a different vibe than say Lexington.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
We trusted you democrats in Va. and now we learn # 1 blackfaced #2 sexual assault #3 blackfaced.

The party of racism and misogyny is what we voted for.
We were duped with cookies and poop as one pundit likes to say. Hopefully Pelosi will loan us a pressure washer and we can clean this all up.
Paladin, Paladin where do you roam > Have Pressure Washer Will Travel !!!

Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I have seen Senator Kaine speaking on the news, not making any sense but still speaking, where is our other senator? once again he seems to be MIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies