Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

No Democrat is suddenly going to become a conservative.

Some of us who were once considered more liberal have moved closer to a moderate Dem position because of the loons on the left, but that's not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Some of us who were once considered more liberal have moved closer to a moderate Dem position because of the loons on the left, but that's not the same thing.
I can agree with this, Op premised the thread incorrectly.

But, the Walk Away Movement is a 'thing', and classically liberal Democrats should wake up to that fact before it is too late.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:59 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
The old Democrat guard has to be ashamed vof what their party has turned into.

Hell, look at these crazies running for 2020. The only sane person is Biden
Biden? He's a perv. Google Joe Biden being creepy...

Old 02-06-2019, 01:01 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Me. I voted for Obama twice and every president Democratic before that. Then I finally wised up.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm a liberal Republican - right to life, 2nd amendment, DACA reform and maybe a few other things find me at odds with the Republican platform. I'm pro choice, wish there were fewer guns available, and want a pathway to citizenship for long-time residents, and want legal entry for a 'great number' of guest workers.

But I would never vote for a Democrat. It's the company they keep and the tactics they use. Now it's a 29 year old woman, who received only 110,000 votes in her district, who has been allowed to run away with the narrative. I won't be associated with that party.
She got 110,000 out of 141,000 votes.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,283 times
I used to be a Conservative until the disastrous Iraq war....been liberal ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
”If you’re not a liberal at 25, you have no heart. If you’re not conservative at 35 you have no brain”~ Winston Churchill
I think it’s both for modern day conservatives.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:18 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Good friend of mine, once a Democrat, now calls himself Libertarian for exactly the same reasons you mention....

Old 02-06-2019, 01:18 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
There always have been conservative Democrats. They call them Blue Dog Democrats. Liberal Republicans exist too. They used to be called Rockefeller Republicans (now they are called RINOs). That said, both parties seem to be polarizing around liberal and conservative. I think most people who were Blue Dogs (or Rockefellers) go "Independent" based on my observations.
I was an Independent for a long time and would even vote republican on some issues. Alas, those times are long gone, and I wouldn't dream of voting republican today - and not ever now that the republican party has become the party of Trump.

Minor point - it's YELLOW dog democrats, not blue. From Wikipedia:

In the 1900 Kentucky gubernatorial contest involving Kentucky Governor William Goebel, Theodore Hallam was criticized at a Democratic Party meeting for first supporting Goebel, then campaigning against him. The critic pointed out that Hallam earlier had said "if the Democrats of Kentucky, in convention assembled, nominated a yaller dog for governor you would vote for him" and asked "why do you now repudiate the nominee of that convention, the Honorable William Goebel?" Hallam responded:

"I admit," he stated blandly, "that I said then what I now repeat, namely, that when the Democratic Party of Kentucky, in convention assembled, sees fit in its wisdom to nominate a yaller dog for the governorship of this great state, I will support him — but lower than that ye shall not drag me!"

These days I'm with the Kentucky governor. I'll vote republican when hell freezes over or when every political office in this land is filled by a "yaller dog" - whichever comes first. The republican party is already coming to regret its support for Trump. Too bad. Meanwhile, my own yaller hound could do a better job of governing than any republican out there.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Seems like you forgot about all the crazies that ran for the GOP in 2016! Talk about a clown show.
I was hoping the democrats would have learned from that fiasco...…...

Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM

1,874 posts, read 817,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As a lifelong lliberal Democrat my dream ticket would be Maxine Waters for President, Ralph Northam for Vice-President.
ralph can wear the hood again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies