Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not to mention I've seen guys who after doing their own oil changes, dump the used oil down the sewer drain. Same for flushing radiators, winterizing lawn mowers, etc.
Correct. I mean, there’s a such thing about being vigilant about taxes, and then there’s just being stupid. This tax is probably half the cost of a Netflix subscription.

A tax for clean water that I surely helped pollute hardly seems irrational. The reaction to it by some of these posters is beyond irrational and has went over the line to retarded.

Hey fellas...take your cup down to the local river and have a swig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:34 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I think it's the absurdity of trying to blame the miles and miles and miles of road salt on 30 foot driveways!

NJ should be taxing everyone that use the roads, not just homeowners and businesses they think have deep pockets.
I think they are have you seen the tolls for the Parkway or Turnpike.....

My bigger concern as I saw here was are they really using the collected monies for runoff related projects or is it just another cash grab for the black hole better known as the general fund....

Old 02-07-2019, 07:37 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think they are have you seen the tolls for the Parkway or Turnpike.....
IL (Chicago area, in particular) is big on tolls, and you know... I've never had a problem with that. User pays. How is that not fair?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I was paying that tax in NC over a decade ago. The most ridiculous part was that it was strictly based on on the impervious surface area on your property, with no regard for the amount of property, so a 2000 sq ft house on a 5000 sq ft lot was taxed the same as a 2000 sq ft house on ten acres of woodland.
The impenetrable surface is usually where a lot of the nasty stuff gets washed right down into the drains from.

I’ve been in the desert most of my life so I’m not familiar with all the lawn care stuff or what might get washed into the woodlands. Out here, the big thing is Roundup, and I try to spray it directly on the weeds that sprout up unlike a lot of people around Arizona that SOAK their yards in it. There oughta be a prohibition on doing that because during monsoon season, all that crap gets washed into the system. And Roundup is extremely nasty stuff.

I probably have a greater appreciation for water than most people because we have so little of it around here. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t even allow private swimming pools in this state and I’d cut way down on golf courses by half. Decorative Water fountains would be banned.

But that’s just me. Lol

Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
There's reasons that NC & GA now have higher populations than NJ. Here's another one.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Will Democratic NJ Gov. Phil Murphy sign the rain tax ? No kidding its a real thing.

How sick is this ? Tax fever !!! Rain, rain go away. They will have everyone in the state praying.

New Jersey residents face possible 'rain tax'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...-with-rain-tax

The bill, approved by the New Jersey Assembly and the Senate, would allow municipalities to create utilities that can collect fees from homeowners and business owners that have large paved surfaces, like driveways and parking lots. During storms, rainwater mixes with pollutants on those surfaces before running into sewers and drains.
This is standard utility practice here. Just an added fee to our water bill for water runoff regardless of surface area....I ran a drain from each of my downspouts to the street as well as the sump pump. If I'm paying they are getting every drop.....

Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Wow, you 'pubs will not give up on poisoning air and water and ruining the environment.

Funny how the Left's answer to every problem is to tax it......:rolleyes

Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 AM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
IL (Chicago area, in particular) is big on tolls, and you know... I've never had a problem with that. User pays. How is that not fair?
Ownership;
Roads- If privately owned, ownership would be responsible for any negative outcomes related to them. In this case environmental damage from runoff into the sewer system.
Sewers-If privately owned, ownership would be responsible for what flowed through the sewer pipes and any negative outcomes related to them. It would behoove ownership to pay attention as to what went in as well as what flowed out or suffer the consequences. In this case contamination of the water supply.
Water supply-if privately owned and especially given if used as a supply for drinking water, cleanliness standards would apply as demanded and monitored by its customers and ownership responsible for adhering to said standards or suffer the consequence.
Each responsible party would necessarily pass costs along to the end user or go out of business.
What we have here in NJ (and all govt managed resources) is the natural outcome of public/govt ownership, where in reality no one owns the resource,but temporary politicians and bureaucrats with no skin in the game are responsible for its stewardship, therefore the resource is abused, taken for granted, spoiled, ruined,etc.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 02-07-2019 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-07-2019, 08:17 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Correct. I mean, there’s a such thing about being vigilant about taxes, and then there’s just being stupid. This tax is probably half the cost of a Netflix subscription.

A tax for clean water that I surely helped pollute hardly seems irrational. The reaction to it by some of these posters is beyond irrational and has went over the line to retarded.

Hey fellas...take your cup down to the local river and have a swig.

Little known fact:

New York City has some of the best water any place in the world.

Do you know why?

Because they pipe it in from the countryside of upstate New York.

Should upstate New York tax New York City for the privilege?

Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Here in Florida we have a storm water tax. The summer months it rains here in the afternoon just about every day with a down pour. It is figured in our property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies