Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

This 7 second video explains all the GOP has accomplished for their anti-life plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3Px11xN-0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 01:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
It's more subtle than that.

If you're going to force obviously unfit and/or unwilling mothers to carry to term, then how will you force them to actually parent that child once they are born? You can't legislate that.

So if you are staunchly pro-life, then that's fine - but you need to also be pro-social services and safety net so that the children can thrive in the right foster arrangements as they grow up.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Pro life until they exit womb. Then we will cut any type of program for children's healthcare, food stamps etc.

Pro life and doing God's will until it comes to the death penalty where holier than you Christians think mortals can make and dish out final judgment
I only wish the pro-life crowd had any interest in the death penalty. Most are apathetic about it which is one reason it has all but disappeared. Plus you have the rise of the Christian left which is anti-death penalty. I wish there was a pro death penalty group I could join that do protests etc. Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face than a killer getting executed and nothing makes me sadder than thinking of all the killers that are alive right now.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:34 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If the GOP were truly pro-life, they would be fighting and legislating to help save the lives of these people.
Conservatives think abortion is murder. Is not supporting universal healthcare the same as murder?

Old 02-09-2019, 04:50 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Many Republicans also want a ban on birth control or at least contraceptives. It seems they want to declare war on sex. What next? Make it a felony to engage in sexual intercourse without being married?
That's the way it used to be. They want to force us to return to the medieval times they cherish.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's the way it used to be. They want to force us to return to the medieval times they cherish.
What is this obsession with the word "medieval" lately? Like it is some kind of pejorative.

Should we not do anything they did in the middle-ages? Was everything terrible in the middle-ages? And do you think it is right-wingers who are going to the Renaissance Fair?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:53 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Conservatives think abortion is murder. Is not supporting universal healthcare the same as murder?
I'm a pro-choice conservative. I disagree with your equation that not supporting universal healthcare is equal to murder.

Everyone dies eventually. And not everyone is meant to live until they are 90 years old. And why should the government or insurance pool pick up the tab for those who live an unhealthy lifestyle? Or the tab for those with bad genes who gave them health issues. Not every sick person can be saved by medicine. And when we spend a lot on the really sick, it takes away funds for those with a better prognosis.

Otherwise, because we have almost 8 billion people on this planet, why are infertile couples spending so much on fertility treatments or using surrogates? Shouldn't the pro-lifers just matchmake women with unwanted pregnancies with those infertile couples? Of course, some of those women are unfit for motherhood and are drug and alcohol addicts, so their babies most likely will have mental and physical health issues... and most wouldn't want to adopt a baby with health issues.

Anyway, in order to have universal healthcare, we need to remove the ability to sue doctors for malpractice and rein in medical and big pharma costs. It's not as simple as forcing our government (or in the case of Obamacare, insurance companies) to pick up the tab for all medical care, including the ultra expensive and experimental procedures and drugs.

Again, we are all going to die eventually. And my priority is that I would like to die gracefully, quickly and without any pain. Having been lucky to live so far in good health, I wouldn't want my life prolonged if I was physically or mentally impaired, or in chronic pain.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Some are Pro life except in the case of rape or incest why is a pregnancy resulting from consensual sex any different than one by force?
Rapists have parental rights most of the time. As I learned the hard way, the family courts do not care if the baby was conceived via rape and thus the rapist can legally control the mother's life. I was even court ordered at one point to live within so many miles of my rapist so that he could have visitation rights. And if the mother tries to stay away from her rapist, the courts punish her and will even give the rapist custody and make her pay him child support. Thus, the only way for a rape victim to get away from the rapist legally, if she becomes pregnant, is to abort the baby.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The US has the "highest rate of maternal mortality in the industrialized world.

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...th%2Fpmss.html

Any comparisons of health care between the US and other countries needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Does the US have more maternal deaths or is it just better at counting them?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Pro-life people are basically pro-baby people. They treasure them like those who love puppies, kittens and chicks, but don't care about all the unwanted dogs and cats in the shelters, and eat chicken meat.
Chicken tastes good. The others... not so much.

Did you actually compare human life to that of an animal? You're lost. But if you want to marry a dog or a cat more power to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies