Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 AM

958 posts, read 303,893 times

Advertisements

As long as you have takers voting, we'll always have problems. I wish we could go back to the days when only male landowners could vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You already are and that isn't going to stop.
I’m not.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:43 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I’m not.
No one takes posts like this seriously.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:13 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Health care is obviously not the only difference in our systems.

31% + the average medical costs(premium, deductible, employer contribution, all out of pockets) would be the number to compare with against their tax burden on an equivalent level of services for an apples to apples comparison. I'd imagine it's pretty similar.
The US average income earner does NOT pay a 31% effective federal income tax rate. It's actually only 3%, and around 10-11% when SS and Medicare taxes are added. Source for the 3% effective federal income tax rate data, chart on page 10: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf

Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I find it pretty ironic that you are talking about apples to apples since you NEVER do that.

Your "European equivalent" includes everything - all types of taxes including those paid by the employer. In addition to that, what those taxes cover is vastly different - healthcare, education, large portions of childcare, family leaves, pensions, and what not. Many of those items here are either not covered at all, and are huge out of pocket expenses, or in some cases (like K-12) paid via property taxes, or state taxes, or sales taxes.

Now, there is no question that something like Medicare for all would cost in grand total less than the current health system if for no other reason than drastically cutting the overhead. What I suspect your real issue is that a program like this would be paid by a payroll tax, like current Medicare, and it could very well be on the whole income without a limit.
That's the point. For all of those who think the Fed Gov should provide such things, be prepared for the average income US worker to have to pay an effective federal tax rate of about 45%, like those in European countries do.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
As long as you have takers voting, we'll always have problems. I wish we could go back to the days when only male landowners could vote.
Wtf?...

You definitely fit in with the trump clan...

Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The US average income earner does NOT pay a 31% effective federal income tax rate. It's actually only 3%, and around 10-11% when SS and Medicare taxes are added. Source for the 3% effective federal income tax rate data, chart on page 10: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45145.pdf
The 31% is the total income/payroll tax burden, not just the fed tax rate. See my tax foundation link.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

I would prefer someone in Washington that I can vote against than some guy on Wall Street demanding better returns.

Let us know how that whole "voting out the bureaucrats" works out for you, Ace.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 PM

8,116 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's the point. For all of those who think the Fed Gov should provide such things, be prepared for the average income US worker to have to pay an effective federal tax rate of about 45%, like those in European countries do.
Look, I know I'm wasting my time, but:
The "average US worker" already pays a lot in taxes: federal, payroll, sales, property, state. And then come the extra items: healthcare, retirement, daycare, college, family leaves. When you sum all of this up, it can easily exceed your magic 45% number for many in the middle class as of today.

Things need to be paid for, there is no free lunch.
BUT, as I also said, for somebody making millions, or 10s of millions, or more, it is much better to have all of these stay as extra items, because they would be negligible compared to income.

20k in daycare on a 100k income is 20% effective tax on this income.
15k in insurance is 15% effective tax.
2.5% property tax on a 300k house is equivalent to 7.5% tax on the income.
Payroll taxes - about 8%
Retirement ....

I even didn't have to include federal income tax..

Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The 31% is the total income/payroll tax burden, not just the fed tax rate. See my tax foundation link.
Not possible. The entire (employee plus employer) SS and Medicare tax is 15.3%. Add that to the average US household's effective federal income tax rate of 3%, and it totals only 18.3%.

To confirm that 3% effective tax rate, I posted a FAS/CSR link, and here's another:

CHART
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies