Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM

37,940 posts, read 17,754,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't support you stating something that you have no idea whether or not it's true.
You're complaint about me is the same thing I'm complaining about concerning 10 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 03:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,935,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You're complaint about me is the same thing I'm complaining about concerning 10 year olds.
So a 10 year old should not say any sort of pledge as they are not capable of fully understanding it? Or just ones you don't like?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,070,437 times
I'm not going to rule out that this 10 year old was unduly influenced to make a political statement that he didn't understand. But I'm also not going to rule out that this 10 year old did make an actual statement on his beliefs about justice.

Example: My son, at the age of 5 and in kindergarten, saw an incident on the playground (the usual stuff; hitting, etc.) and saw that the teacher disciplined the wrong kid. Despite my son's protestations that she misread the situation, the teacher insisted on the punishing the wrong child. My son then proceeded, with tears, to spend the rest of the school day under the teacher's desk. When I came to pick him up after school, he said that he couldn't participate in class because the teacher was unfair, refused to listen to the truth, and didn't believe in justice. That was a 5 year old with an extremely developed sense of justice, and a willingness to protest in his own way. So I would not rule out that a 10 year old with a similarly developed sense of justice could be genuinely protesting injustice in his world. Children can sometimes see very clearly what is happening.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
So a 10 year old should not say any sort of pledge as they are not capable of fully understanding it? Or just ones you don't like?
Keep making things up.
No matter what age, people shouldn't right checks with their mouth. Get it?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I'm not going to rule out that this 10 year old was unduly influenced to make a political statement that he didn't understand. But I'm also not going to rule out that this 10 year old did make an actual statement on his beliefs about justice.

Example: My son, at the age of 5 and in kindergarten, saw an incident on the playground (the usual stuff; hitting, etc.) and saw that the teacher disciplined the wrong kid. Despite my son's protestations that she misread the situation, the teacher insisted on the punishing the wrong child. My son then proceeded, with tears, to spend the rest of the school day under the teacher's desk. When I came to pick him up after school, he said that he couldn't participate in class because the teacher was unfair, refused to listen to the truth, and didn't believe in justice. That was a 5 year old with an extremely developed sense of justice, and a willingness to protest in his own way. So I would not rule out that a 10 year old with a similarly developed sense of justice could be genuinely protesting injustice in his world. Children can sometimes see very clearly what is happening.
A 10 year old kneeled because he saw others kneeling. Do you actually think he put any thought into what he was doing and why?

Adults falsely play the race often, especially when it comes to law enforcement. Not a fan of law enforcement and Ive often called it the biggest organized crime unit in America but it's not racist. They go where the crime is. Inner city, minority, neighborhoods. That's just a fact. That is where the children have little guidance and don't get the life lessons they need. Because of the extremely high rate of single parenthood. When they grow up, they are less educated, earn less money, and commit a higher rate of crime.

Bank robbers rob banks because that's where the money is. Surfers go to the beach because that's where the waves are.

What are people afraid of? The truth? Blacks commit a high rate of crime isn't racist. To say they do because of genetics is racist. Like I said, reasons matter. Adults refuse to get it, why would you think a 10 year old would?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Keep making things up.
No matter what age, people shouldn't right checks with their mouth. Get it?
No. I asked you a question. That's not making anything up. You can answer or not, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

If a 10 year old doesn't understand, why should they be saying any pledge?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,206,858 times
Quote:
I support what the kid did so...........
You mean what his DAD said to do.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You mean what his DAD said to do.
I meant exactly what I said.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 PM

5,034 posts, read 2,238,260 times
Quote:
No. I asked you a question. That's not making anything up. You can answer or not, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

If a 10 year old doesn't understand, why should they be saying any pledge?
As for pledges (and this isn't directed at you, but it answers some of the question about understanding), the scouts say the pledge of allegiance, the scout oath, and the scout law. I can't speak for other troops, but in ours, when the scouts come up for their Board of Review, they need to be able to tell the board members what these mean to them. The focus is more on the scout-specific pledges, but I'm pretty sure nearly every scout in our troop could tell you what it is they're saying. These are also Boy Scouts, not Cub Scouts like this kid, but when this boy joins a troop, he will be asked to define scout spirit and show understanding of what it means when scouts repeat these things at the beginning of each meeting.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty passionate about scouting.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
As for pledges (and this isn't directed at you, but it answers some of the question about understanding), the scouts say the pledge of allegiance, the scout oath, and the scout law. I can't speak for other troops, but in ours, when the scouts come up for their Board of Review, they need to be able to tell the board members what these mean to them. The focus is more on the scout-specific pledges, but I'm pretty sure nearly every scout in our troop could tell you what it is they're saying. These are also Boy Scouts, not Cub Scouts like this kid, but when this boy joins a troop, he will be asked to define scout spirit and show understanding of what it means when scouts repeat these things at the beginning of each meeting.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty passionate about scouting.
I have no problem with any of that but if they can relay what it means to say a pledge to the United States at 10, they can understand other things also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies