Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM

22,310 posts, read 11,815,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm really trying here. I understood your point (the words). We both agree turning children over to anyone who claimed them or even (I'm going further here) not verifying that children crossing the border are with parents or guardians. This is what I said in my first response: "Whatever I may think of how Trump has handled matters, there are good-faith efforts by CBP-ICE to monitor this [child trafficking] with a system in place. Certainly, it needs to be done."

Unless I missed it, no one on this thread said don't worry about possible trafficking. That's only a claim that you've made. No one is criticizing Trump-ICE policies concerning trafficked children.

The thread title is "Why are so many asylum seekers still separated from their children" with the original post: "Trump had no plans to reunite families and it’s extremely sad!" I read that to mean that good records were not kept so families are not yet found (there's been some current press about that). The thread then devolved into a discussion of the past separation practice that Trump later changed with the executive order. The comments about how "cruel" the practice was referred to his original policy.

Are you saying that ICE will separate children from accompanying adults if there are concerns about trafficking - that and concerns about parental abuse or criminal parents (other than crossing the border)? This has been policy all along and remains in place. That's a good thing, yes, with again no complaints about it on this thread.

This takes me back to my original question: It's not clear what you are advocating. What would you do differently? It comes across like you've set up a "hypothetical" (immediately, no questions asked) - connected that to trafficking that does exist - then used that to attack posters who were discussing an entirely separate issue.
I don't know what you are trying to say. I'm not "attacking" anyone by asking if children should be returned to the adults who brought them over with no questions asked.

Once again---sigh---no one in this thread said don't worry about possible trafficking. Read between the lines, they blow off any concerns about trafficking minors.

Why are you splitting hairs here? I would much rather have thorough checking being done to insure that the adults with the child are indeed their parents.

If it were my child who was being trafficked, I would be horrified if someone just allowed her to continue on her journey with her trafficker. And you better believe I would be raising h*ll about that.

What more do you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 PM

1,663 posts, read 866,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I can’t believe that a president would want to separate children from their parents, but the worst thing is, trump had no plans to reunite families and it’s extremely sad! Will some of these young kids and babies ever see their families again?
You need to ask Nancey Pelosi why she refuses to secure our border. If the border was secure that would stop this.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM

8,480 posts, read 3,286,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I don't know what you are trying to say. I'm not "attacking" anyone by asking if children should be returned to the adults who brought them over with no questions asked.

Once again---sigh---no one in this thread said don't worry about possible trafficking. Read between the lines, they blow off any concerns about trafficking minors.

Why are you splitting hairs here? I would much rather have thorough checking being done to insure that the adults with the child are indeed their parents.

If it were my child who was being trafficked, I would be horrified if someone just allowed her to continue on her journey with her trafficker. And you better believe I would be raising h*ll about that.

What more do you want?
I want you to answer the question: What would you be doing differently right now? To focus on you, not what you believe others are saying.

Okay. You've started. The bold. No information on the adequacy of current procedures but to advocate for better if you think them insufficient is a positive. And they may well insufficient, for there is understaffing with a now enormous workload. That's fair.

The underlined statement. This goes to what is not quite as clear. Let me be direct. Are you saying?:

Because the checking to ensure that the adults with the child are indeed their parents may be insufficient we need to ensure that - what group? who? - do not continue on a journey - to where?

Are you advocating for a return to the practice of separating all (?) children from their parents once they cross the border, for obviously the US has no authority in Mexico? To separate them in some new detention facility or not allow them to leave Customs - ICE facility with their alleged-parents in the event that some unknown number might be trafficked?

----
Here, I went back to my original post (and questions). We seem to still be at those first questions, with my certainly agreeing with what you were saying but not clear if you wanted some action based on that concern:

There are two issues:
1. THIS IS OP's concern: How to ensure that those children who were separated are returned to the rightful parents. Record-keeping was sloppy. There are reports that the numbers separated are higher than first reported.

2. THIS IS YOUR concern: How to ensure that children who continue to arrive at the border are with their parents not a trafficker. Whatever I may think of how Trump has handled matters, there are good-faith efforts by CBP-ICE to monitor this with a system in place. Certainly, it needs to be done.

It's not clear what you are advocating. What would you do differently? No one has ever alleged there are "no questions asked."

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-10-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 05:19 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,699,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
You need to ask Nancey Pelosi why she refuses to secure our border. If the border was secure that would stop this.
No. No it won't. And what about the families that are already affected?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:23 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,699,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Then that would make the Obama administration a dictatorship also. Obama was the president that began this policy of separating children from their adult guardians at the border. Where was your liberal outrage then??

And Obama, like Trump, did this to DISCOURAGE migrants from coming to our country illegally with their children. To welcome these families, would create a situation where hundreds of thousands of impoverished Central American families would stampede across our southern border. However economic hardship is NOT grounds for asylum.

Again, every day in the US, child services removes children from their parents, when they have committed crimes and need to be locked up.

Instead you should be raging against these Central American migrants for USING their children to try to gain illegal entry into our country. These migrants are the ones putting their children in danger. And imo it is also extremely irresponsible of the parents to have large families when the parents are so poor. Since so many of these migrants are Catholic, the pope should be counseling the adults in developing and struggling countries to stop having babies until their lives turn around.
Separation happened under Obama, but there wasn't an actual policy to do it like there is under Trump.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,351,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It really isn't any more complicated than this.
Again, liberals think illegals should get preferential treatment over citizens, including the right to take their children to jail with them.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 PM

24,313 posts, read 9,196,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I can’t believe that a president would want to separate children from their parents, but the worst thing is, trump had no plans to reunite families and it’s extremely sad! Will some of these young kids and babies ever see their families again?
Sounds like a good insensitive to not break the law.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 1,709,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I put the Angle families a first priority. We know for a fact their separation is for eternity and they won't ever see their loved ones again.
I can't believe democrats would be so cruel to ignore them completely. At least the President has the right priorities and understands his obligation is to the American citizens. Once he gets that problem solved it reduces the problem of illegals separation too.
What’s an “angle family”?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,076,877 times
Because they came here illegally with no plan except to cross illegally into our country. Are we supposed to house them all in 4 star rooms? What’s really interesting is these detention centers are actually better than what many of them have lived in . People can’t expect to come somewhere illegally and then expect not to follow any rules or follow a process.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,076,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
It certainly would help keep the numbers down. I can’t stand her or her buddy Chuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies