Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think the Lost Cause would have lasted a long time without Gone With The Wind, at last without the movie version. Birth of A Nation might have prolonged it. However, there is something to understand. There were plenty of Confederate monuments going up. That was enough to continue that Lost Cause myth. Jim Crow had a way of continuing the Lost Cause. When the Civil Rights movement started, this is when a spike in schools named for Confederate generals took place. The Confederate flag became a symbol of resistance against civil rights. The Lost Cause would have continued without Gone With The Wind.
You're right green_mariner, Gone With the Wind was just a single part of the propaganda campaign began in earnest immediately following the war by the likes of Jubal Early & Jefferson Davis.

Although it's worth noting that some of the earliest criticisms of the 'Lost Cause' mythologies came from Confederates themselves

Quote:
A half-century after serving the Confederate cause, John Singleton Mosby, legendary leader of Mosby's Rangers, offered no apologies for his southern loyalties. He was quite candid about his reason for fighting. "The South went to war on account of slavery," he said. "South Carolina went to war - as she said in her secession proclamation - because slavery w[oul]d not be secure under Lincoln." Then he added as if to dispel all doubt, "South Carolina ought to know what was the cause of her seceding."
From the following piece by Ta-Nehisi Coates:

Quote:
The first people to question that mythology were themselves Confederates, distraught to find their motives downplayed or treated as embarrassments. A Richmond-based newspaper offered the following:

Quote:
‘The people of the South,’ says a contemporary, ‘are not fighting for slavery but for independence.’ Let us look into this matter. It is an easy task, we think, to show up this new-fangled heresy — a heresy calculated to do us no good, for it cannot deceive foreign statesmen nor peoples, nor mislead any one here nor in Yankeeland. . . Our doctrine is this: WE ARE FIGHTING FOR INDEPENDENCE THAT OUR GREAT AND NECESSARY DOMESTIC INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY SHALL BE PRESERVED, and for the preservation of other institutions of which slavery is the groundwork.
What This Cruel War Was Over
The meaning of the Confederate flag is best discerned by the words of those who bore it

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...s-over/396482/

Personally I think it's relevant to speak about the origins of the 'Lost Cause' because it bears on the present day.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Speaking of 'Lost Cause' mythologies, this video sums it up:

The Civil War was Not for Slavery
Why don't you sum it up?

Do you disagree with John Singleton Mosby, the legendary leader of Mosby's Rangers, who actually fought for the Confederacy?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:39 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Great Video!!!! Until the government admits the truth and they start teaching the correct history in schools and label Lincoln a tyrant and a President that should have been impeached for his crimes and violations of the Constitution they should keep flying the confederate flag in the South......Never Forget!
How many of the seceding states didn`t specifically mention slavery was the cause for seceding in their Ordinance of Secession?
I`ll never forget that the confederates started a war when they fired on Ft. Sumter which was property of the U.S.A. I don`t see how there can be "southern pride" for starting a war for the worst possible cause which killed 700,000 Americans.
https://www.historynet.com/which-sta...-secession.htm

Old 02-13-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Great Video!!!! Until the government admits the truth and they start teaching the correct history in schools and label Lincoln a tyrant and a President that should have been impeached for his crimes and violations of the Constitution they should keep flying the confederate flag in the South......Never Forget!
Fascinating how some here seem to continue to prop John Wilkes Barre up there on a pedestal by parroting his words. Wondering what they think of his actions?

Was he heroic too?

Do we have any Confederate statuary or memorials venerating him as well? ( I'm considering the 'literal' pedestals here as opposed to the metaphoric. )

Sheeesh.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:02 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,049 times
Quote:
Eventually people spend too long trying to gaslight and accidentally let their true motives slip.

Gross.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:56 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'll never understand why black people are so desperate to be "integrated".
Of course you would not understand. There are many things you choose not to understand.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Fascinating how some here seem to continue to prop John Wilkes Barre up there on a pedestal by parroting his words. Wondering what they think of his actions?

Was he heroic too?

Do we have any Confederate statuary or memorials venerating him as well? ( I'm considering the 'literal' pedestals here as opposed to the metaphoric. )

Sheeesh.
Those are probably some of the same persons who would have been against the Civil Rights movement back in the 1960s. Anyone who would refer to John Wilkes Booth as a hero is a sick individual. There is no trying to reconcile with that kind of individual.

Some good videos to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlWqi-VQsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6WWkp55YSM

Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Several events over the last view years have put the Confederate flag in the national spotlight. It is a controversial symbol and for good reason. I grew up in Georgia and kept hearing the same thing "it represents southern heritage" or "it's about my southern pride". I ask my mother and her response was "I'm southern but it's not my pride".
I understand why people are offended by the flag, it was carried into battle in a war over states rights and slavery. But I also understand the people who see the flag as a representation of southern pride, and do not see it as the symbol of slavery. The vernacular and meanings of words, phrases and symbols change over time. It wasn't too long ago when the word "gay" had an entirely different meaning.

Don't get me wrong, the racists see the flag in a different light than other Southerners. Just as the "OK" hand gesture means okay for most people, the racists see it as something else. Are we going to allow the angry, bigoted minority to decide the meanings behind everything, is that how spineless and cowardly we have become?

Just follow this LINK to some black Southerners who see the flag as a symbol of pride. But what the hell, the PC crowd have decided to give the racists and bigots the deciding vote on what the meanings of life are.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You're right green_mariner, Gone With the Wind was just a single part of the propaganda campaign began in earnest immediately following the war by the likes of Jubal Early & Jefferson Davis.
And consider this. Margaret Mitchell was born in 1900. Those stories had to have been around since before she was born. If there had been no Lost Cause myth, Margaret Mitchell wouldn't have written her book.

Quote:
Although it's worth noting that some of the earliest criticisms of the 'Lost Cause' mythologies came from Confederates themselves
Ironic, but not so ironic. The person who criticized the Lost Cause myth made no bones about it. He wanted slavery and was willing to fight a war to keep it.

Quote:
From the following piece by Ta-Nehisi Coates:

What This Cruel War Was Over
The meaning of the Confederate flag is best discerned by the words of those who bore it

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...s-over/396482/

Personally I think it's relevant to speak about the origins of the 'Lost Cause' because it bears on the present day.
Either way, slavery was a major clincher. Another way to look at the Lost Cause is like this: A way of saying "up yours".

Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I understand why people are offended by the flag, it was carried into battle in a war over states rights and slavery. But I also understand the people who see the flag as a representation of southern pride, and do not see it as the symbol of slavery. The vernacular and meanings of words, phrases and symbols change over time. It wasn't too long ago when the word "gay" had an entirely different meaning.

Don't get me wrong, the racists see the flag in a different light than other Southerners. Just as the "OK" hand gesture means okay for most people, the racists see it as something else. Are we going to allow the angry, bigoted minority to decide the meanings behind everything, is that how spineless and cowardly we have become?

Just follow this LINK to some black Southerners who see the flag as a symbol of pride. But what the hell, the PC crowd have decided to give the racists and bigots the deciding vote on what the meanings of life are.
^ this

and the fact that the majority of people on the planet could give a flip about a flag or that some people are butt hurt about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies