Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Confederate stuff is exactly the same Heritage as Nazi stuff....that is, the flags and symbols of a failed effort to enslave other human beings.

Not much more complicated than that. Sure, I feel bad for the poor whites of the South who died and got hurt fighting for their Masters and Politicians. People are often caught at the wrong place and in the wrong time. So be it.

We are only guilty for the sins of our fathers if we fail to heed them and change to the light.
A corollary to the bold is this: When you know better, you do better.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To some, the Confederate Flag is a symbol of freedom and heritage and to others, a symbol of slavery and oppression. I have no use for it personally but I also don't have a problem if others choose to wear it, it's a personal choice. I do think if you take the emotion out of it and view it as an artistic expression, it's a pretty one
From my personal perspective, I've never been able to view it as an artistic expression. If I take the emotion out of it, I would still have the historical part to consider. The historical part matters the most. I don't have any use for it (and I have a hatred for, but that is just me) due to the historical aspect of it. It's hard for me to view the Confederate flag as a form of artistic expression. Now, the Confederate flag does express something. What it expresses, well, it varies.

It could be viewed as freedom and heritage to some, and slavery/oppression to others. If you look at WHO views it which way, that varies. The question is WHY?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
why you keep repeating lies.....If slavery was protected under the constitution and the Supreme Court and the North never made any threat to abolish slavery in the slave states (they didn't have the majority to amend the constitution not even in the North) why would the South leave because of slavery?....that's like Texas today leaving the Union because of the 2nd Amendment and the right to bear arms. It's already legally protected under the constitution and the Supreme Court.

maybe, just maybe it had a lot to do with the 50% tax that the North was imposing on the South.....countries go to war and fight and die for money and resources, not because of a minority group equality.

You think the whites up North were ok to leave their wives and children all alone in their farms in long cold winters to go and fight and probably die in a war down South because of some black slaves in the South that they don't know and could care less about? ....or because Lincoln sold them that if they don't fight and keep the Union together the Union would die and go bankrupt.

In regards to the bold - because southerners had a hissy fit and a tantrum over their party not winning the election...duh...

I mentioned earlier that I agreed with you the north didn't care about slavery and they were racist and didn't want slaves freed for the most part either - they just wanted it to stay in the south so as not to threaten the livelihood of white working families and small farmers. The ruling classes of the south basically lost their minds and seceded and caused the deaths of millions of people in this country by doing so. Black people and fervent white abolitionist, took advantage of the melee' and steered the conflict toward freeing the slaves. I personally find it hilarious that the south seceded just because they were mad Lincoln won. If it was about taxes, why did they wait until the election to secede....

Old 02-13-2019, 02:40 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Of course you would not understand. There are many things you choose not to understand.
Integrated means "mixed". Why are you so desperate to be "mixed"?

To me, blacks are like the kid on the playground that no one wants to play with, so he gets the teacher to make the other kids play with him, who do so with bitterness, and only because they don't want to get in trouble.

It is probably just my personality, but I have no interest in forcing other people to like me or accept me. That seems to be the mark of an insecure person with low self-esteem and a chip on their shoulder.

Instead of "Who cares if they don't like me?", it is "How dare they not like me!"

Old 02-13-2019, 02:56 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If it were not for active black people in this nation - slavery would still be here.
If this were true, why was America one of the last countries in the world to abolish slavery?

Slavery was abolished in France in 1794. Was that because of "Active black people in France?"

What about the British Empire? It abolished slavery in 1833, was that also because of active black people in Britain? Britain wasn't even a democracy in 1833.

And most of Europe never had slavery at all. Was that also because of active black people?

And what is serfdom? What is the difference between slavery and serfdom? What was the purpose of slavery? What was the purpose of serfdom?

You'll never understand the world if you believe the world is ruled by emotions and sentiments(EG racism). It is ruled by money and power. If you look at the entire history of the world through the lens of power, everything will make sense.

Do you know who Adam Smith is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejJRhn53X2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIuaW9YWqEU

What people need to understand is, government cannot exist without the forced labor of the masses. Slavery, serfdom, and even modern "wages", are a method of coercing people in various ways to support the "national interests".

What many leftists don't seem to understand is that it was capitalism that emancipated the serfs, the slaves, and women. But emancipation doesn't actually mean "freedom". It really just means, "to be made legally equal under the government."

Under slavery, labor is forced through violence. Under serfdom, labor is forced through starvation. And with capitalism, labor is forced through deprivation and starvation.

"In democratic countries, the most important private organizations are economic. Unlike secret societies, they are able to exercise their terrorism without illegality, since they do not threaten to kill their enemies, but only to starve them." - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-13-2019 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to the bold - because southerners had a hissy fit and a tantrum over their party not winning the election...duh...

I mentioned earlier that I agreed with you the north didn't care about slavery and they were racist and didn't want slaves freed for the most part either - they just wanted it to stay in the south so as not to threaten the livelihood of white working families and small farmers. The ruling classes of the south basically lost their minds and seceded and caused the deaths of millions of people in this country by doing so. Black people and fervent white abolitionist, took advantage of the melee' and steered the conflict toward freeing the slaves. I personally find it hilarious that the south seceded just because they were mad Lincoln won. If it was about taxes, why did they wait until the election to secede....

what? LMAO!!! so by the South declaring their independence and wanting to be left alone it's their fault that Lincoln became a tyrant and waged a war on aggression on them and caused their deaths and the destruction of their towns and farms?

that's like your wife wanting a divorce and you blaming her because you killed her because you didn't want to let her go. She asked for it, right?...LMAO!!!

if it wasn't about slavery, why couldn't Lincoln let them go? why go tyrant?

didn't the ruling class in the North lost their minds by waging war on the South to keep them in the Union by war all because of revenues and resources?

that's like the European Union sending their army to invade Great Britain because they didn't want them to leave the EU......" NO!!! You are not leaving! we are forcing you Brits to stay and pay your taxes and fees to us and you do what we tell you to do. We control your borders and who you do commerce with.....if you don't accept it, well here are plenty of bullets and cannons and destruction to change your minds."

that pretty much summed up the war, which wasn't a civil war. It was a war of independence.....a civil war is what Spain, Vietnam, China had. 2 sides fighting each other to control the whole country and rule the entire population under 1 government.

Calling that a civil war it's like calling the Revolution war for indepedence a civil war also. Washington didn't want to take over Britain and their government and kill the King.......the South didn't want to take over the federal government and rule the North under 1 government. So it wasn't a civil war. It was a war of independence.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
http://www.thelocalvoice.net/oxford/...nthony-hervey/

Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

To me, blacks are like the kid on the playground that no one wants to play with, so he gets the teacher to make the other kids play with him, who do so with bitterness, and only because they don't want to get in trouble.

It is probably just my personality, but I have no interest in forcing other people to like me or accept me. That seems to be the mark of an insecure person with low self-esteem and a chip on their shoulder.

Instead of "Who cares if they don't like me?", it is "How dare they not like me!"
Well, you made it known in the past that you don't think highly of Blacks, so I'm not surprised that you view Blacks the way you do.

And by the way, sometimes force is the only way people will get the same rights and privileges as everyone else.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:12 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I was born in south Fl 65 yrs ago and mostly lived in Fl except when hubby was in the military. The confederate flag always represented what was called the red. Nks - who did not like the Latino or black community. Never had to deal with it, it that was how it was.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Well, it looks like you're part of the problem, rather than the solution. Why am I not surprised, given your hostility and disdain expressed herein? Do us all a favor and drop the long explanations about the Civil War. This is pretty crystal clear on why you've been obfuscating on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies