Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 08:53 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree it's often about "freedom for me, not for thee" & "don't tread on my right to tread on you".

Same as it ever was ...

Coincidentally the 'derailers' often seem to prefer to attempt to deravel the The Libertarian Civil Rights Paradox rather than discuss the topic of the OP. Go figure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisla.../#417c3ca44cae
Reading that article, this explains why alot of Blacks vote Democrat these days rather than Republican. It's about Civil Rights. This is why more Blacks don't vote libertarian. Libertarianism doesn't take into account that sometimes government control is necessary. Not all men and women are good at heart. If all men were angels, government wouldn't be necessary.

As for "freedom for me, not for thee", the Confederate cause was basically that. Confederate Constitution explicitly protected slavery, named it in their Constitution. I think those who seek to derail this discussion do so because they want someone like me to just "shut up and go along with the program".

Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you're aware of the definition of 'Lost Cause' so will not bother here.
It is a waste of time to bother with those whom, despite being shown evidence that the Lost Cause is a lie, will keep clinging to it. In order to have a proper discussion about the Confederate flag, the Lost Cause myth has to be discussed. However, what needs to be discussed is this: WHY adhere to the Lost Cause myth?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Reading that article, this explains why alot of Blacks vote Democrat these days rather than Republican. It's about Civil Rights. This is why more Blacks don't vote libertarian. Libertarianism doesn't take into account that sometimes government control is necessary. Not all men and women are good at heart. If all men were angels, government wouldn't be necessary.

As for "freedom for me, not for thee", the Confederate cause was basically that. Confederate Constitution explicitly protected slavery, named it in their Constitution. I think those who seek to derail this discussion do so because they want someone like me to just "shut up and go along with the program".
They wanted the same thing back then. Thank the Gods some folks did not back then, & thank the Gods someone like you still isn't.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
It is a waste of time to bother with those whom, despite being shown evidence that the Lost Cause is a lie, will keep clinging to it. In order to have a proper discussion about the Confederate flag, the Lost Cause myth has to be discussed. However, what needs to be discussed is this: WHY adhere to the Lost Cause myth?
This is why:

Quote:
... The heyday of the Lost Cause occurred between 1877 and World War I, but its legacy remained a powerful influence in the South well into the twentieth century. Generations of children were raised on the Lost Cause ideology, and many of them went on to actively resist desegregation at mid-century. Although not all white southerners accepted the ideology of the Lost Cause, those who did included Alabama's Eugene "Bull" Connor and George Wallace. In fact, the successes of the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s became the "lost cause" of white supremacists that, like their forbears, draped themselves in the mantle of the Confederate battle flag. Moreover, the racial beliefs found in the Lost Cause were very similar to those held by segregationists. ...
Lost Cause Ideology | Encyclopedia of Alabama

Old 02-17-2019, 09:06 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Agree it's often about "freedom for me, not for thee" & "don't tread on my right to tread on you".

Same as it ever was ...

Coincidentally the 'derailers' often seem to prefer to attempt to deravel the The Libertarian Civil Rights Paradox rather than discuss the topic of the OP. Go figure.

Quote:
...Two major policy obstacles block Libertarians from mainstream credibility.

The first is their refusal to grapple with real-world economics, waving an ‘invisible hand’ over every problem and declaring it fixed. Worse though is their strange civil rights conundrum. Paradoxically, the party of ‘liberty’ would tear down every protection against racial discrimination. Republicans troubled by their party’s white nationalism will find little relief among present-day Libertarians. ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisla.../#417c3ca44cae
Here's the problem. What you posted in bold is made up and you have no proof.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I still do not find it strange "libertarian-types almost-universally defend the Confederacy".

Why would it be strange Lord Acton & Robert E. Lee also sought to "defend the Confederacy"?

They both represented Countries (alhough the CSA was never recognized as a Country by any but themselves) that desired the extinction of the United States of America.
I still do not find it strange that ChiGeekGuest makes things up. Because you wont recognize it as a separate country is meaningless. Do you think Great Britain recognized the Founders?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:

It's about handouts and how the poor and blacks were bought by FDRs handouts. Up until the 1920 blacks voted republican because the dems are the party of the klan. Its no coincidence that black UE was lower than white UE until that time also.

I know those who seek to derail this discussion do so because they want someone like me to just "shut up and go along with the program". Bought and paid for children under the thumb of their masters.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Anybody accusing GOP voters with white nationalism is Jussie Smollet.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The Lost Cause myth has endured, even into the 21st century. Even some people born in the 1980s still hold on to it stubbornly. I know why the older generations held onto it. Why the younger generation holds onto is something to note.

The Confederate flag was a symbol of the Confederacy, and still represents that. It became a symbol of resistance against integration and civil rights. Why the Confederate flag became the flag of choice is what needs to be examined.

Given the controversy behind the Confederate flag, it would make sense NOT to use that symbol to identify with southern heritage. However, it is used as such.

If one wishes to represent southern heritage, one needs to define what southern heritage is. What southern heritage is being represented? Whose southern heritage is being represented?

These questions need fo be asked.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 PM

This thread has shown me something. This is why I don't discuss the Confederate flag with anyone unless I know they will agree with me. It triggers some very strong feelings. It triggers alot of anger. It can't be discussed without anger or hardheaded mentality. I remember one time in college I brought up the Articles of Secession. That person didn't want to hear it. Said person held on stubbornly to his love for the Confederacy. It shows how controversial this subject is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies