Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,388,186 times

Advertisements

I ask this controversial question: "Are there any notable cases of a non-White owning a White slave on a plantation on American soil?" Yes, take the standard image of a slave master who is White and who rapes, abuses, and condescends a Black or Native American slave and reverse the race of the slave master. I know that this the frequency of such cases are so rare that they are just about non-existent. However, such low odds are far different than it having never happened. When I ask this, I obviously mean cases that were thoroughly researched, including proper fact-checks, by credible sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Anthony Johnson, the first legally recognized slave owner.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,475,260 times
I only had time to skim the article below, but it seems well worth a read when I have more time.

Interestingly enough, it says that not only did some blacks own slaves, but they some "owned" white indentured servants.

(I have no idea about this source - the root - but the author is a well respected black professor.)

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436

Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM

17,380 posts, read 9,207,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I only had time to skim the article below, but it seems well worth a read when I have more time.

Interestingly enough, it says that not only did some blacks own slaves, but they some "owned" white indentured servants.

(I have no idea about this source - the root - but the author is a well respected black professor.)

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436
TheRoot was started by the Washington Post in 2008, under the direction of Gates (author of this piece)
It was sold to Univision (Hispanic press) in 2015.

I continue to find it bizzare that there is this obsession with 1800’s slavery, while ignoring the sex slavery occurring in 2019. I will never be able to understand or relate to Leftists.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
TheRoot was started by the Washington Post in 2008, under the direction of Gates (author of this piece)

I continue to find it bizzare that there is this obsession with 1800’s slavery, while ignoring the sex slavery occurring in 2019. I will never be able to understand or relate to Leftists.
Sex slavery is more in the shadows, its not as out in the open or flaunted, for the most part, the people running it, and those that support it, try to keep themselves disguised.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

I dislike having to refer to childhood lessons, but very early we learned "one of these things is not like the other".

Slave cotton and tabbaco represented up to 70% of ALL US exports in the slave economy.

"Sex Slavery" might be stuff like the Southern Baptists or Catholic Church practice now...or David Epstein and crew, but it's certainly not a relevant part of the economy. There will always be bad people.....and one thing has NOTHING to do with the other.

To answer the original question, I'd say NO in the sense of any scale. You can ALWAYS find an example somewhat that fits any meme....I'd guess there were mulatto brothel owners in NO that employed white women and other similar situations.

You'd have to qualify the question much more since "slavery" has been defined in various ways over the centuries.

It's not controversial at all, IMHO...rather it's like asking "has every culture in history had sex workers?". Or "has every culture in history had men who took advantage of others?".

These are simple questions to ask.

Did Black foremen slaves oversee and mistreat other black slaves? Of course they did.

These questions are not really political. They are historical...and nuances of them could be philosophical.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Anthony Johnson, the first legally recognized slave owner.
WHITE SLAVE—
Pay attention

There were no acknowledged white slaves in America to my knowledge
There were indentured servants that basically were in perpetual slavery
And you have the poor whites working as basically slave labor for employers like coal mines or large farmers who owed rent, food, clothing costs to the “company store” and basically never got out of debt because of the interest accrued
They were never called “slave labor” but in actuality they were laboring like rats in a wheel, going no where

Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM

18,334 posts, read 8,162,371 times
Blacks were the machinery that ran the farms/plantations in the 1800's...
...there were black farmers and plantation owners...had black machinery

Blacks that escaped slavery in the south by fleeing to Florida....were in turn made slaves again by the Seminoles/Creek

...even some white Irish were slaves...or for that matter, almost anyone that could not pay their bills

There were a lot of "free" blacks...plantations in Florida...even forts and military totally black

Josiah Walls, republican, was elected to Congress in 1868, Florida's first black congressman

Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Blacks were the machinery that ran the farms/plantations in the 1800's...
...there were black farmers and plantation owners...had black machinery

Blacks that escaped slavery in the south by fleeing to Florida....were in turn made slaves again by the Seminoles/Creek

...even some white Irish were slaves...or for that matter, almost anyone that could not pay their bills

There were a lot of "free" blacks...plantations in Florida...even forts and military totally black

Josiah Walls, republican, was elected to Congress in 1868, Florida's first black congressman
Right - but you have to qualify that last line.....that was during Reconstruction and Jim Crow along with the takeover of the South by former Confederates quickly nixed the "popular vote" in the bud.

But, yeah, we all learned in history about indenture and stuff like that. This does differ from true American Southern slavery in which you own the kin and the kin of those, etc.

But, yeah, one can find an example of just about anything when you talk about millions of people. Back when a LOT (most) people were not self-determined in any way. They were grist for the mills.

The indentured servants were ruined well after they were freed by Wall Street and London (they are original white settlers of coal and timber country). Virtually every birthright was sold off from under them and they were again enslaved working for peanuts for the corporations who ruined their land.

But that's another story. No one would ever claim that people can't be as wrong to "their own" as they can to others....out of sight, out of mine. Wall Street reaped the profits.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I ask this controversial question: "Are there any notable cases of a non-White owning a White slave on a plantation on American soil?" Yes, take the standard image of a slave master who is White and who rapes, abuses, and condescends a Black or Native American slave and reverse the race of the slave master. I know that this the frequency of such cases are so rare that they are just about non-existent. However, such low odds are far different than it having never happened. When I ask this, I obviously mean cases that were thoroughly researched, including proper fact-checks, by credible sources.
You might get more learned responses if you posted this in the History forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies