Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.
Wow, wait until you see your next tax return then. Democrats are going make sure you don’t see half of what you saw this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Since the 'are your social security benefits taxable' worksheet hasn't been adjusted for inflation for 26 years, any S.S. recipient with a job or other income over $17,700 will pay more taxes. The only adjustment for seniors was a $1650 increased deduction for personal/standard deduction.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So funny how many of these trolls are saying the exact same thing, using the same exact figures and arguing the exact same thing.

It's almost like it's only one troll who's trolling many different forums..... hmmm...
Even if you haven't started on your 2018 return, you've probably heard this tax year's horror story: lower-than-anticipated refund checks or the possibility you will owe the IRS.

This tax year holds surprises for many individuals after the implementation of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

So far, average refunds are down 8.4 percent from the same time last year, to about $1,865.

Yet some individuals still stand to receive bigger checks than they did last year.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/here...this-year.html

U.S. taxpayers are filing their first returns under the 2017 tax code overhaul that lowered rates for most people. What makes the paperwork headaches tolerable for many is the promise of a tax refund at the finish line. Yet more taxpayers will end up with no refund, or a smaller one, compared with a year ago, before the lower rates fully took effect. How could that be? The explanation rests with the many other changes that made it into the revised tax code. Some Americans are venting their surprise and anger.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...unds-quicktake

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM

17,621 posts, read 6,905,165 times
I'm going to guess that OP 1) didn't vote for Trump in 2016 and 2) there was never a chance he would vote for Trump in 2020.

That said, shouldn't you liberals be happy to be paying more taxes? It's what you vote for.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I was cynical of the claims on Twitter and here that folks were paying more than they had in the past....but now a few good friends have done their taxes and they are owing more money than they ever have. None are wealthy folks...comfortable -- maybe upper middle class -- but more like middle class.

Tomorrow I will face our taxes. They aren't complicated -- I'm just nervous.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I'm going to guess that OP 1) didn't vote for Trump in 2016 and 2) there was never a chance he would vote for Trump in 2020.

That said, shouldn't you liberals be happy to be paying more taxes? It's what you vote for.

Trump critics don't always support increased expenditures -- therefore bigger tax bills for all to cover spending more money.

And no matter how you rationalize it -- even the IRS said that tax refunds are down 8 per cent so far this year.

Still early days.....but most of the time -- those that owe do their taxes later. Those that get refunds try to get them out as soon as possible.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
I guess I won, down 66% or so. Not done yet as I am still waiting for a couple of 1099's. Due out around 2/15.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

No. I vote D so I can purchase health insurance on the open market - insurance that won't cancel my policy if I get sick and that won't deny coverage if I get a preexisting condition. This is my #1 reason for switching from R to D and for voting D.

And because I dont want our future Social Security Retirement Benefits cut, like the GOP was planning to do(for specific younger age groups), had they won the House in the mid-terms.

Nobody wants to pay higher taxes, but the GOP DID just raise taxes for some people in the middle class. Although they gave massive tax cuts for billionaires and large corporations such as wall street. Just like the GOP - sacrifice the regular middle class folks in favor of the billionaires.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
What makes the paperwork headaches tolerable for many is the promise of a tax refund at the finish line. Yet more taxpayers will end up with no refund, or a smaller one, compared with a year ago, before the lower rates fully took effect. How could that be? The explanation rests with the many other changes that made it into the revised tax code. Some Americans are venting their surprise and anger.

Perhaps the explanation for lower refunds is that these folks had less tax WITHHELD from their paychecks every week/two weeks/month and therefore PAID LESS TAX to Uncle Sam from which to get a refund.

The thought process reminds me of an uncle who thought he was the greatest financier alive when he received a big refund check. "Uncle Sam is giving me money!"

Right.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So funny how many of these trolls are saying the exact same thing, using the same exact figures and arguing the exact same thing.
A lot of people got screwed, he is not alone, they are not trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies