Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

I don't itemize, make upper middle $$$ so I'm expecting a modest reduction in my tax bill.

This probably means the check I have to write to make the remaining tax I owe, will be smaller than in the past.

I can then show up screaming about how I didn't get a refund check! Curse you Trumpppppp! lol.

Now in fairness, I can totally understand people getting clobbered by the cap being upset about it. At the same time I've pointed out that people with higher incomes in high tax areas are benefitting by their state\communities providing lots of extra programs, services, nice schools, parks, roads etc.

Being able to deduct all of that essentially results in the rest of us subsidizing these benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Trump's tax plan is really a cut for corporations and not for individuals. Even a lot of the scraps thrown to individual filers actually sunset in 2025. You guys were fleeced.

I am not a supporter of either party but the plan sunsets in 2025 because the DEM's refused to vote to make it permanent. They had the opportunity but chose to "resist" the whole thing instead.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/1070287001/

Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 AM

88,970 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My friend a number of years back refinanced his gf's moms house for her. Lady had an adjustable loan that was up around 8% and he got her a <5% fixed....came up in conversation one day and he was like....wow....here, let me save you $300+/month for the next 20 years or so.

She didn't know she had an adjustable loan, nor that she could refinance it.....
Same thing. That's just like... Hmmm... should I overpay my federal income tax liability by $200/month so I can get a tax refund at the end of the year on which the Fed Gov pays no interest? Or should I pay down a 7-8% interest rate debt by an extra $200/month. It's a no-brainer to me. But a HUGE percentage of the US population just doesn't get it. WHY is that? Serious question...

Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same thing. That's just like... Hmmm... should I overpay my federal income tax liability by $200/month so I can get a tax refund at the end of the year on which the Fed Gov pays no interest? Or should I pay down a 7-8% interest rate debt by an extra $200/month. It's a no-brainer to me. But a HUGE percentage of the US population just doesn't get it. WHY is that? Serious question...
Not everyone is as financially brilliant as you.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 AM

88,970 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not everyone is as brilliant as you.
It's not brilliance. It's common sense.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Also his taxes are paying for illegals earned income credit for kids (some fictitious) in Mexico...I think we need to triple his taxes to pay for more illegals coming over.

There are a lot of anchor kids living in Mexico. Born in the U.S.A. but living in Mexico who are U.S. citizens with SS numbers. Extended family members in the U.S. claim them as dependents and get earned income credit on their taxes.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not everyone is as financially brilliant as you.
You have to be brilliant to save money?

Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Trump's tax plan is really a cut for corporations and not for individuals. Even a lot of the scraps thrown to individual filers actually sunset in 2025. You guys were fleeced.
I'm not worried, I'm sure at some point before 2025 our Democrat leaders will step up and help the little people in this country by making individual tax cuts permanent.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.
The key is in your post...I'm surprised the DNC slipped up and had all the posters post: "I made more money" you MADE MORE MONEY and you will pay a bit more in taxes.......math geniuses on the left....

Old 02-12-2019, 09:16 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
People who give the govt. an interest free loan, only to wait for a refund aren’t very bright.
It speaks a lot to the psychological aspect of personal finance. Psychologically, it feels like you are getting a nice chunk of money in one lump refund vs twenty bucks extra or less a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies