Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM

16,366 posts, read 8,457,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think it’s around 50:50.

You might think the way you do for a few reasons. One, is that the right wing anti semites are very blunt about it, while the left wing anti semites are usually (but not always) more subtle about it. They will often cloak it in something about Israel, or the Palestinians, but if you listen to them speak a little more, they inevitably say “Jews”, not “Israelis”.

Also, I think people on the left often have blinders to it when it comes from people on their side of the aisle because it goes against their narrative about republicans being racist, and democrats being inclusive.
I hope you are not implying use of the term Jew implies being anti-Semitic, because if you do, I can prove you wrong. Not that I am defending left wing anti-Semites, but use of the term Jew in and of itself implies nothing of the sort.

I'd also say I think your assumption of 50-50 is wrong. Rest assured far more leftist (which now control the once moderate Democratic party) are in fact anti-Semitic, and do couch it in support for Palestinians. Regardless when you hear them talk of how the media, Hollywood, banks, Wall Street and country is controlled by Zionists, it leaves little doubt as to what is in their hearts.

I do agree with your last sentence, and it is funny to watch them this their panties in a knot when their own party members are guilty of racism, sexism and sexual assault (like what is happening in Virginia).
They wanted to ruin Kavanaugh with vague accusations from 30 years ago(some which have now admitted were false), yet circle the wagons when their party members have had recent and more plausible accusations of sexual assault. Whether it be Ellison or Fairfax, they either defend them or just hope it goes away without losing their seats.

Party over not only country, but principles!
That should be a fitting slogan for the modern day Democratic party.

`

Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,467,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I hope you are not implying use of the term Jew implies being anti-Semitic, because if you do, I can prove you wrong. Not that I am defending left wing anti-Semites, but use of the term Jew in and of itself implies nothing of the sort.

I'd also say I think your assumption of 50-50 is wrong. Rest assured far more leftist (which now control the once moderate Democratic party) are in fact anti-Semitic, and do couch it in support for Palestinians. Regardless when you hear them talk of how the media, Hollywood, banks, Wall Street and country is controlled by Zionists, it leaves little doubt as to what is in their hearts.

I do agree with your last sentence, and it is funny to watch them this their panties in a knot when their own party members are guilty of racism, sexism and sexual assault (like what is happening in Virginia).
They wanted to ruin Kavanaugh with vague accusations from 30 years ago(some which have now admitted were false), yet circle the wagons when their party members have had recent and more plausible accusations of sexual assault. Whether it be Ellison or Fairfax, they either defend them or just hope it goes away without losing their seats.

`
But when Jew and Israeli are used interchangeably (or follow in quick succession) when condemning the State of Israel, it IS anti-Semitic.

For example, it was reported that at a BDS protest, the anti-Israel students yelled "Get out, Israelis....get out Jews!" over and over and over. Why, when criticizing the actions of the Israeli government, it it necessary to identify Israelis by their religion in addition to their nationality?

Old 02-13-2019, 03:57 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,381,413 times
Quote:
Why do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans?
Isn't the more important question-why DON'T Democrats stand up for Jewish Americans? Are they somehow less important than other Americans? Dems "stand up" for criminal aliens. For convicted drug dealers. For police murders. For "economic refugees" of every nation. Why do they care so little for their fellow Americans?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM

2,362 posts, read 772,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not holding Christians responsible at all. I’m holding Christianity partly responsible for sanctioning it. And they DID sanction it. Then American Christendom sanctioned Jim Crow in large measure.

I believe that as a black man, I should either believe in my ancestor’s faith, or adopt a faith that I have taken measure of and found to be credible. I don’t want a religious faith attached to me just because I was born to parents that believed in it.

I don’t know what my ancestor’s faith was (it wasn’t Christianity for sure), and I’ve seen no faith worth adopting as my own. On top of that, when I was a teen, I realized that the concept of a God made no sense to me so I became a non believer.

But maybe if I knew what the faith of my ancestors was, I’d at least observe it in a ritual sense even if I didn’t believe in the superstitious side to the faith. Many Jews do this despite being atheists and I admire them for having a tradition to follow that bonds them.

That’s why I agree with African Americans celebrating Kwanzaa.
Your ancestor's faith is voodoo, vodun/etc still practiced in West Africa, especially Benin. Go to Benin, and you will find the roots of what your ancestors practiced.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM

18,425 posts, read 15,169,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
But when Jew and Israeli are used interchangeably (or follow in quick succession) when condemning the State of Israel, it IS anti-Semitic.

For example, it was reported that at a BDS protest, the anti-Israel students yelled "Get out, Israelis....get out Jews!" over and over and over. Why, when criticizing the actions of the Israeli government, it it necessary to identify Israelis by their religion in addition to their nationality?
Rachel beat me to it, but yes, the word “Jew” is not an anti Semitic word. Jews use the word to describe themselves, after all. It is when people talk about the “horrors and atrocities of Israeli’s”, in their perception, and start using the term “Jews” instead of Israelis, that it becomes anti Semitic. It tells me that their hatred is not for the government of a country, but an entire ethnicity. I see this a lot with people on the left.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,555,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not holding Christians responsible at all. I’m holding Christianity partly responsible for sanctioning it. And they DID sanction it. Then American Christendom sanctioned Jim Crow in large measure.

I believe that as a black man, I should either believe in my ancestor’s faith, or adopt a faith that I have taken measure of and found to be credible. I don’t want a religious faith attached to me just because I was born to parents that believed in it.

I don’t know what my ancestor’s faith was (it wasn’t Christianity for sure), and I’ve seen no faith worth adopting as my own. On top of that, when I was a teen, I realized that the concept of a God made no sense to me so I became a non believer.

But maybe if I knew what the faith of my ancestors was, I’d at least observe it in a ritual sense even if I didn’t believe in the superstitious side to the faith. Many Jews do this despite being atheists and I admire them for having a tradition to follow that bonds them.

That’s why I agree with African Americans celebrating Kwanzaa.
Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I felt, after posting my last comment, that I was kind of pushing the issue, so I appreciate your patience.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,348,874 times
Quote:
Nah, you are just being silly. The antisemites on the right are usually a lot more blunt about it. They say things like “Jews will not replace us” and have swastika tattoos.

It would be uncharacteristic of them to pretend to care about the plight of a bunch of muslims like the antisemites on the left do.
The Jews all agree that a Richard Spencer or David Duke isn’t all that scary. They are so blunt and so ridiculous, nobody takes them seriously. But give me a Roger Waters, Jimmy Carter, Corey Booker, CNN and MSNBC - those terrify the heck out of me. They are so sneaky and insidious with their anti semitism, they even fool Liberal Jews into believing their narrative. That’s the true danger to the Jews.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Your ancestor's faith is voodoo, vodun/etc still practiced in West Africa, especially Benin. Go to Benin, and you will find the roots of what your ancestors practiced.
Africa's a big continent. Even West Africa is vast, and I doubt there is/was a single indigenous religious tradition, so that sounds like quite an assumption.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 PM

8,478 posts, read 3,301,111 times
Quote:
Nah, you are just being silly. The antisemites on the right are usually a lot more blunt about it. They say things like “Jews will not replace us” and have swastika tattoos.

It would be uncharacteristic of them to pretend to care about the plight of a bunch of muslims like the antisemites on the left do.
You cannot mean that being aware of or expressing concern about Palestinians in refugee camps makes someone antisemitic? There has to be a major disconnect here. I am genuinely confused. Does acknowledging the state of Israel make someone an anti-Muslim sort of racist?

Old 02-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The Jews all agree that a Richard Spencer or David Duke isn’t all that scary. They are so blunt and so ridiculous, nobody takes them seriously. But give me a Roger Waters, Jimmy Carter, Corey Booker, CNN and MSNBC - those terrify the heck out of me. They are so sneaky and insidious with their anti semitism, they even fool Liberal Jews into believing their narrative. That’s the true danger to the Jews.
You lost me with "the Jews all agree." No group of people is some sort of monolith, including "the Jews."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies