Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 12:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
So the question is not Why Do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans? but instead Why the Left purportedly does not?
The question is based on false pretenses.

Based on voting patterns, it's probably safer to say that more Jewish American voters align with left-leaning positions than hard-right ones. 75% with the Democrats, period. You will find a majority of these voters supporting issues or views that are contrary with the policy directions of the national GOP.

There is generally bipartisan support for Israel. It's just that AIPAC has a louder or the loudest voice in shaping or forming the dialogue on this; however, there are alternative positions or voices in this same space, such as J-street - that may shift that dialogue a bit.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:32 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
So the question is not Why Do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans? but instead Why the Left purportedly does not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The question is based on false pretenses.

Based on voting patterns, it's probably safer to say that more Jewish American voters align with left-leaning positions than hard-right ones. 75% with the Democrats, period. You will find a majority of these voters supporting issues or views that are contrary with the policy directions of the national GOP.

There is generally bipartisan support for Israel. It's just that AIPAC has a louder or the loudest voice in shaping or forming the dialogue on this; however, there are alternative positions or voices in this same space, such as J-street - that may shift that dialogue a bit.
Certainly (the first bold) has been my experience. Here, I can only point to social interactions with those who are culturally Jewish or members of reform synagogues. One friend was a Conservative rabbi. There is vocal support for Israel.

Among non-Jewish friends the subject simply does not come up. There's so much going on the world these days that Israel and the Palestinian situation is pretty much taken as a given. Some might have a negative take on that last sentence, others no doubt not.

That said, another poster mentioned encountering anti-Israeli sentiment or anti-Semitism on sites more mainstream than Daily Stormer. Not frequenting ME discussion sites, I can only defer to her assessment.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
You would never see them bend over backwards for blacks, Mexican Americans or gays. When they get up on their soapboxes, they look hypocritical when you consider how they’ve put Trump on a pedestal.
Maybe you should ask the 424 members of the House who voted to pass a Motion To Recommit, which was a vote to condemn anti-Semitism - an amendment to be added to a bill. The first time since 2010 that a Motion To Recommit was passed by the House.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:01 PM

2,362 posts, read 776,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Maybe you should ask the 424 members of the House who voted to pass a Motion To Recommit, which was a vote to condemn anti-Semitism - an amendment to be added to a bill. The first time since 2010 that a Motion To Recommit was passed by the House.
Sounds like virtue signaling to me.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
The amendment added through the motion to recommit says “it is in the national security interest of the United States to combat anti-Semitism around the world because,” and then lists a few reasons. One of the reasons is “there has been a significant amount of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel hatred that must be most strongly condemned.”

Anti-Semitism is a national security interest, one that the House of Representatives need address?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I pity your (imaginary) black friends. Lol
If I ever meet a black person worthy of being a friend I’ll have one. Still looking.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Certainly (the first bold) has been my experience. Here, I can only point to social interactions with those who are culturally Jewish or members of reform synagogues. One friend was a Conservative rabbi. There is vocal support for Israel.

Among non-Jewish friends the subject simply does not come up. There's so much going on the world these days that Israel and the Palestinian situation is pretty much taken as a given. Some might have a negative take on that last sentence, others no doubt not.

That said, another poster mentioned encountering anti-Israeli sentiment or anti-Semitism on sites more mainstream than Daily Stormer. Not frequenting ME discussion sites, I can only defer to her assessment.
I'm the other poster to which EveryLady referred, and yes indeed....I have encountered the most blistering anti-Israeli sentiment (as well as anti-Semitism) on mainstream discussion sites. (I don't go to what I am assuming is a bigoted site like Storm Front. Never would have heard of it except that it's referred to negatively in "normal" forums.)

Old 02-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
A meaningless gesture. Reminds me of a saying "your actions are screaming so loudly that I can't hear what you're saying."

For example, when actions count....the Committee was all too happy to assign a known anti-Semite (Omar) to hostilely interview a Jew giving testimony a day or two after she advanced anti-Semitic tropes. And remember - this wasn't new to her (as I addressed in a parallel thread). Jewish leaders in her district met with her LAST YEAR to discuss their dismay over her anti-Semitism.

And that's the thing: Why didn't the House Committee on Foreign Relations, run by Democrats, take into consideration the feelings of Jews who had just been subjected to Omar's anti-Semitic dog whistle - and have someone else question Abrams? She was rude and taunting to him, and ignored his response. Her disdain for her Jewish "interviewee" was apparent in both words and facial expressions.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:38 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
The amendment added through the motion to recommit says “it is in the national security interest of the United States to combat anti-Semitism around the world because,” and then lists a few reasons. One of the reasons is “there has been a significant amount of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel hatred that must be most strongly condemned.”

Anti-Semitism is a national security interest, one that the House of Representatives need address?
Apparently they agreed.

I mean, Dems would never agree to something they don't believe in would they? Nawwwwww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
A meaningless gesture. Reminds me of a saying "your actions are screaming so loudly that I can't hear what you're saying."

For example, when actions count....the Committee was all too happy to assign a known anti-Semite (Omar) to hostilely interview a Jew giving testimony a day or two after she advanced anti-Semitic tropes. And remember - this wasn't new to her (as I addressed in a parallel thread). Jewish leaders in her district met with her LAST YEAR to discuss their dismay over her anti-Semitism.

And that's the thing: Why didn't the House Committee on Foreign Relations, run by Democrats, take into consideration the feelings of Jews who had just been subjected to Omar's anti-Semitic dog whistle - and have someone else question Abrams? She was rude and taunting to him, and ignored his response. Her disdain for her Jewish "interviewee" was apparent in both words and facial expressions.
I'm very much aware of how hateful Omar is. She's from Somalia. A refugee. And this is what she does the first time she gets any type of "power". Maybe we should be rethinking our "refugee" acceptance. What she said to Trump today would never have been accepted in Somalia had she said that to the President of that country. Miss "I love Sharia law" seems to be able to say that in a country where she's not going to be subject to such things.

As for the Dems, I agree that their "outrage" at what she said is all lies. But, the beauty of that Motion to Recommit was that the Dems lost face either way. They don't sign it - whew boy, there goes all of the Jews who vote for Dems. They do sign it, it shows everyone else that they will sign things they don't agree with - even if it's against what the voters and their constituents want. Makes you wonder what else they've passed that they don't agree with and are going against what those who voted for them want. They "bent over backwards" for this - but the OP wanted to say it was 'only Republicans'. Oh no, that game gets played by both sides.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I had a theory on that, which I stated earlier, but in case you missed my "pearls of wisdom," here's my answer:

As a rule, Democrats purport to care about minorities and the prejudices against them, but in reality they care about minorities who are doing poorly, as a group, in comparison to the average, whether that be in terms of educational attainment, poverty, crime, etc., insisting that these lesser degrees of success (again, speaking as a whole) can be blamed on bigotry and a history of persecution ENTIRELY.

And then....enter the Jews, a little band of nomads representing maybe 2% of the world's population, if that. Here we are, persecuted for millenia, expelled by the millions, murdered by the millions, and still we manage to rise above it, often in the space of a generation. (Holocaust survivors arrived here penniless, and without even a high school degree, and one generation later their kids are all college grads. One generation, after witnessing horrors that those of us reading this cannot even fathom.)

That speaks to the fact that it is not only society, or prejudice, that holds people down (although no doubt that contributes to it), but to personal choices and values as well. That doesn't fit the liberal mindset, though, and thus there's an undertone of resentment toward Jews for disproving the "it's ENTIRELY other people's fault" narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.