Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:25 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,098,767 times

Advertisements

The problem with anti-Semitism and the Democrats actually goes back to at least 2016, when the party establishment did everything in their power to keep Bernie Sanders from getting a fair hearing.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The problem with anti-Semitism and the Democrats actually goes back to at least 2016, when the party establishment did everything in their power to keep Bernie Sanders from getting a fair hearing.
Nothing to do with anti-Semitism they just were pulling the strings for Hillary against any rival.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,766,133 times
From my experience, Republicans are more likely to be Zionists and also more likely to be antisemetic on a personal level. Meanwhile the Democratic party has a better relationship with the Jewish community but tends to oppose or at least be more skeptical of Zionism.

The reason goes back to the Christian Right. They believe the last thing that is necessary before Jesus returns to earth is for the Dome of the Rock to be replaced by the Third Jewish Temple in Jerusalem. Trump's move of the embassy to Jerusalem was pretty much entirely a move to nudge things in that direction.

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/1...s-blood-moons/

Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,552,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
To those Democrats who keep insisting that hating Israel is not related to antisemitism, reflect on the title the OP used. He didn't ask why Republicans stand up for Israel; he asked why they stand up for JEWS.
First of all, the original post seemed really weird to me, almost to the point of being incomprehensible.

On to your primary concern: I think there is a difference between hating Israel and being critical of some of Israel's actions. I love my country, but I think my country has done (and continues to do) some terrible things.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 AM

231 posts, read 136,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Repubs stand up for all, w/o special treatment for any-which is discrimination against those not bestowed special treatment.
The presumably racist OP has his finger on the pulse of the present-day GOP better than you do.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,405,994 times
Why do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans?

Republicans and Democrats alike are opposed to anti-Semitic violence and rhetoric, and that is as it should be. This was not always the case. It would be nice if Republicans stood up against other types of violence and rhetoric, but as a class the party has not matured enough.

The Jewish-American community is a highly varied one, some Republicans and some Democrats. Republicans stand up for big dark money, and as part of that they stand up for Israel, but being pro-Israel does not necessarily mean being pro-Jewish. It is more likely to mean being pro-Apocalyptic Evangelicals in a political context.

There is a large and well funded pro-Israel lobby, of course, but not all Jews in the USA support Israeli policies or the lobby and the same is true among Jews in Israel, there is political opposition to the more onerous policies of Israel within the nation itself.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is gays are still a bit worried about gay marriage being overrode by a more conservative Supreme Court. The fact is a Muslim was put to death without the same religious counsel a Christian would have.

Y’all just about as bad as the Democrats.

why would gays worry about gay marriage? its like democrats worrying about roe v wade being overturned, and it hasnt been, even though there have been plenty of opportunity to do so. the supreme court tends to not over rule previous court rulings, so i would say that gay marriage is safe.

as for muslims not getting the same religious council that christians do when being put to death, chances are they refused the offer, which is their right.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:06 AM

673 posts, read 462,672 times
Shouldn't the question be why don't we stand up more often for Jews? I do.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,302,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Why do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans?
Do they? It sure seems like despite the lip service by the GOP towards Jewish American voters, the vast majority of them aren't buying it (voting 75% Democratic).

Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,015,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
You would never see them bend over backwards for blacks, Mexican Americans or gays. When they get up on their soapboxes, they look hypocritical when you consider how they’ve put Trump on a pedestal.
Follow the $$$$ and it applies to both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.