Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Boy, the left is sure beating that "climate change" drum hard this week. How many new threads on climate change are we going to have this week? We're already up to about 5 just on the front page alone.

Listen, left, let's get this straight: You're wasting your breath. The gullible who believe in "man made" climate change don't need your "preaching to the choir" threads, and the people who understand science or, at the very least, HOW science works, are never going to buy into the left's "man made" climate change "crisis", no matter how many threads are started.

NoRecess: Feel free to call me "Charity".

Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47203344

Scientists talk about “a potentially deadly combination of factors", including climate change, mass loss of species, topsoil erosion, forest felling and acidifying oceans.

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47203344
I'm a scientist that studies climates, give me grant money so I can tell you that the polar ice caps are growing, I have data to prove it and you better be preparing for a global ice age in the next 20,000 years. If you choose to ignore my pleas, you will all die within the next 20,000 years. Oh, and send me money. I need millions to keep the research going. Somebody has to sound the alarm.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
By the time you read this pargraph, the rainforest will have been chopped down,,, or something to that effect, they were peddling in the 70s-80. That lie didnt do the environment any favors. Neither did Algores.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:47 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is another reason why I will vote for anyone other than Trump, an avid science denier who puts former lobbyists in charge of industry regulation.
Kind of how Obama appointed the former VP of Monsanto to head up the FDA?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffr..._b_243810.html

Oops.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Scientists talk about “a potentially deadly combination of factors", including climate change, mass loss of species, topsoil erosion, forest felling and acidifying oceans.
You forgot the Army Corps of Engineers.

The Army Corps of Engineers actually caused flooding on the Mississippi, and then again in Louisiana during Hurricane Katrina. The levy systems they created actually did more harm to people and caused more property damage than if they hadn't built them.

And you forgot development.

Just west of me, some big-brain thought it would be cool to fill-in a creek. Another big-brain thought it would be cool to combine sewage and storm water run-off in a single pipe.

As development expanded, there was a lot more storm water run-off and it started flooding people's basements, and then because sewage was combined with the storm water, they had raw sewage in their basements. And, too, the roads were flooded, so there were lots of traffic accidents, which usually knocked down power-lines and also knocked out cable, telephone, electric and internet for hours at a time.

Residents complained for years. About 16 years, actually. The Metropolitan Sewer District wouldn't do anything, so the resident contacted an environmental group who file a law suit. Then the EPA jumped on the band-wagon.

The judge gave them 3 years, until December 31, 2018 to fix it or pay a $10,000/day fine for violating the consent decree. And they did.

The restored the creek, plus two others that were destroyed, recreated the wetlands that were destroyed, separated the sewage from the storm water, and the storm water conveyance system isn't just a 6" or 8" pipe, it's a 12' by 8' concrete box. They also built bio-infiltration basins to absorb some of the water and delay it's entry into the creek or storm water conveyance system.

And, no more flooding, far fewer traffic accidents and fewer electric, cable, telephone and internet outages.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Number of floods increased by 15x since ‘05, & temperature events by 20x. Leaders fail to grasp the gravity of crisis.
We just recently went through an unprecedented lack of hurricanes. From October 2005 to September 2016 there were no hurricanes big enough to be named. It would still be another year until there was any named hurricane larger than a Category 2.

So you're telling me that there's more floods? Yeah, I expect there are. And I'm sure your source feels their data is compelling to back their own particular point of view. What conclusions can we jump to about 12 years without a major hurricane? What does it tell us about climate change? Why did the climate go through such a long stretch of calm? Is the World's climate getting better and not worse?

It's kinda like that. Grab a few facts and start jumping to conclusions.

The problem with the whole climate change debate is that there's a whole lot of people who really don't know what the hell they're talking about pretending like they do. Both sides will pile up a lot of data that seems to support their point of view. Data gets cherry picked, exaggerated and even outright fabricated. Reality is, we really don't know.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:36 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Boy, the left is sure beating that "climate change" drum hard this week. How many new threads on climate change are we going to have this week? We're already up to about 5 just on the front page alone.

Listen, left, let's get this straight: You're wasting your breath. The gullible who believe in "man made" climate change don't need your "preaching to the choir" threads, and the people who understand science or, at the very least, HOW science works, are never going to buy into the left's "man made" climate change "crisis", no matter how many threads are started.

NoRecess: Feel free to call me "Charity".
Most of those threads were started by right wing Trumpers. I have no idea why they felt obligated to start so many threads. hawkeye2009 appears to be obsessed. He's started at least 3 threads on the subject and I'm sure he'd be insulted to have you call him a left winger. Rocko20 who is anything but a leftie started one, as did Lovetosave and GoodHombre. The only left winger who has started a recent climate thread is Chicano3000X.

You frequent this forum often. Surely by now you have figured out which side most of the regular posters are on? If you can't even figure that much out, how do you manage to figure the climate question out?

Go reprimand your own - not we Democrats. Jeez, you Trumpers just love to blame everyone else for your own failings, don't you?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:42 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Most of those threads were started by right wing Trumpers. I have no idea why they felt obligated to start so many threads. hawkeye2009 appears to be obsessed. He's started at least 3 threads on the subject and I'm sure he'd be insulted to have you call him a left winger. Rocko20 who is anything but a leftie started one, as did Lovetosave and GoodHombre. The only left winger who has started a recent climate thread is Chicano3000X.

You frequent this forum often. Surely by now you have figured out which side most of the regular posters are on? If you can't even figure that much out, how do you manage to figure the climate question out?

Go reprimand your own - not we Democrats. Jeez, you Trumpers just love to blame everyone else for your own failings, don't you?
Yes, roll those eyes like a 12 year girl. I have no idea where those people stand except one. One of them I've never even heard of or seen his/her posts. The other 2 I hardly ever see - so don't assume where they lie, politically. I guess I'm not as obsessed with the people on CD as you appear to be. By the way, reading comprehension impaired, I didn't say that all lefties started those threads.

Nonetheless, my point stands. We have multiple threads on climate change...but we just needed to add another? Or could that poster have tacked his post onto one of the many already there?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We just recently went through an unprecedented lack of hurricanes. From October 2005 to September 2016 there were no hurricanes big enough to be named. It would still be another year until there was any named hurricane larger than a Category 2.

This is WRONG. Just search Wikipedia...

2006-Ernesto, Florence, Gordon, Helene, Isaac
2007-Dean, Felix, Humberto, Karen, Lorenzo, Noel - Dean and Felix both reached Cat 5
2008-Bertha, Dolly, Gustav, Hanna, Ike, Kyle, Omar, Paloma
2009-Bill, Fred, Ida
2010-Alex, Danielle, Earl, Igor, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Otto, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tomas
2011-Irene, Katia, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina
2012-Chris, Ernesto, Gordon, Isaac, Kirk, Leslie, Michael, Nadine, Rafael, Sandy
2013-Humberto, Ingrid
2014-Arthur, Bertha, Christobal, Edouard, Fay, Gonzalo,
2015-Danny, Fred, Joaquin, Kate

This list includes only named hurricanes and excludes tropical storms.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,190,327 times
It seems like it rains on a near daily basis where I live lately. No idea what that has to do with climate change but just an observation. I think the politicalization of the issue will continue to us from doing anything meaningful on this.

Common sense tells me the booming population growth in Africa India etc will have devastating effects on wildlife and habits. It’s sad but I’m not sure what can be done about it. I also support renewable energy

Last edited by ColoradoOnMyMind; 02-12-2019 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies