Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:04 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
AND; you might want to check your own governments stats on poverty in the U.S. as few areas are associated with bordering a third world country or caused by absorption of those coming from it.

Bordering Mexico has nothing whatsoever to do with the poverty in Appalachia, the Dakotas and a host of other places that have huge poverty problems in the U.S. but absolutely no connection whatsoever to incoming immigrants, illegal or otherwise.
I never said it didn't. However, I doubt picking the population of Appalachia up and moving them to Jutland would have much of an effect.

Denmark is not importing millions of poor people from poor countries. And they have no legacy of slavery either.

In any case, whether someone here is poor in Appalachia, Detroit, the Dakotas, or one of the numerous barrios full of illegals, they all receive Public Assistance.

Public Assistance aka Government Help. Just like in... here it comes ... wait for it .... DENMARK!

You already have what you crave, BruSan. You just don't like that it doesn't do what you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,122 times
Importing millions have nothing to do with it.. you got to measure it as a percentage of population.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Importing millions have nothing to do with it.. you got to measure it as a percentage of population.
Ummm ... if you want to reduce poverty- a tall order here or in Denmark- it might be prudent to cease importing more of it. If I have two cars and buy one more, I will have three.

Not that it ultimately matters because as we and the Danes have found out, you cannot cure poverty by giving people money. You can avoid starvation and give them four walls and a roof. But they will still be poor.

Denmark has a social welfare state.

American has a social welfare state.

What is so nebulous about this?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I never said it didn't. However, I doubt picking the population of Appalachia up and moving them to Jutland would have much of an effect.

Denmark is not importing millions of poor people from poor countries. And they have no legacy of slavery either.

In any case, whether someone here is poor in Appalachia, Detroit, the Dakotas, or one of the numerous barrios full of illegals, they all receive Public Assistance.

Public Assistance aka Government Help. Just like in... here it comes ... wait for it .... DENMARK!

You already have what you crave, BruSan. You just don't like that it doesn't do what you wish.
And your point I was debating that you placed imperative upon, and the singular reason you stated as to why Denmark was doing better was what again? That would be your statement that Denmark was not faced with third world migrants coming across it's border from Germany.

I refuted that point with this:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...erty-rate.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povert..._United_States

You have unwittingly supported my rebuttal by mentioning "slavery"....nothing whatsoever to do with present day migration of poor people. You own that one yourselves.

You are correct however, in that the systems are in place I deem responsible and civic minded , but then, I'm not an American.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And your point I was debating that you placed imperative upon, and the singular reason you stated as to why Denmark was doing better was what again? That would be your statement that Denmark was not faced with third world migrants coming across it's border from Germany.

I refuted that point with this:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...erty-rate.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povert..._United_States

You have unwittingly supported my rebuttal by mentioning "slavery"....nothing whatsoever to do with present day migration of poor people. You own that one yourselves.

You are correct however, in that the systems are in place I deem responsible and civic minded , but then, I'm not an American.
I did not say Denmark was doing better. I said they had less poor people. But they do have them. Nobody has a magic wand for dealing with that.

Yes the legacy of slavery is a problem unique to America because we had it on our own soil while the so-called enlightened Europeans conducted it in their colonies and were able to ignore it and then tut-tut on City Data later on.

If the Danes (are you one?) had a magic wand, we would use it.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
This is a big problem I have with this country. Why should that ten millionaire have to sell their fabulous lake house? Who cares if they are a ten millionaire or a hundred millionaire? It’s THEIR money.

At what amount does whoever decide when someone else has enough and needs to give whatever they deem extra to someone else to distribute to others?

That’s just wrong.

I, personally, grew up in a one parent household with a low income mother and no stability. Moved 16 times by the time I left home. I went to college after dropping out of high school. Did not receive aid because of my mother continuing to claim me on her taxes for two years after I moved out. Yes $36k per year was too much to get aid in the early 90s.

I have busted my butt to scratch, claw, and climb ladders, change careers and make my way to a six figure income. My husband did the same. No college for him. VERY low income upbringing and no college, vo tech program in his high school. He also makes a six figure income now.

This upward mobility of income happened after we got knocked down multiple times from natural disasters that we finally had to walk away from after using every dime we’d saved for our retirement, kids’ college funds, everything. We started all over just 7 years ago after all that.

We have worked so incredibly hard. Now some unknown person or group is going to judge and say we have too much? We don’t get to enjoy what we’ve worked so hard for? We make enough to give to other people?

No. I don’t want that at all. And yes, I’ll figure out how exactly to keep every dime I can in our own pockets. We’ve earned it.

Don’t tell others they have too much. Who decides what’s too much?

This is the problem conservatives have. I don’t mind taking care of our elderly, truly disabled, and children, but other able bodied? No. Go work hard and reap your own rewards.
Is it fair that a large company like Walmart employees people below a living wage, forcing them to use our social welfare to eat and live? Do you mind helping those millionaires get that lake house while you get taxed to help supplement their workers because they don't pay enough, they keep it as profit?

The problem is our system has been manipulated to make fake millionaires. Your taxes help them because they've found a way to escape paying a living wage. You don't seem to mind, but I do. I pay my workers enough to live without welfare, why shouldn't everybody?

Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I did not say Denmark was doing better. I said they had less poor people. But they do have them. Nobody has a magic wand for dealing with that.

Yes the legacy of slavery is a problem unique to America because we had it on our own soil while the so-called enlightened Europeans conducted it in their colonies and were able to ignore it and then tut-tut on City Data later on.

If the Danes (are you one?) had a magic wand, we would use it.
Slavery started in the Middle East and Africa and the Europeans used slavery for profit in the Americas primarily but they were smart enough to keep them it of their soil.

It's highly unfortunate that people in the US thought that it morally acceptable to "own slaves' and we will forever by the price of our forefathers sins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies