Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So when the coal is gone and then what’s your plan? Don’t have one I’m betting.

For perspective we burn a little less than one billion tons per year, the very tip of this pyramid labeled active mines is enough coal to supply us for the next 20 years. The section labeled "estimated recoverable reserves" is based on coal they know is there and can be mined feasibly using today's technology. The demonstrated reserve base is coal they know is there but may or may not be feasible to mine in the future. The rest of it best guess and may not have a lot of hard data to support the estimate.

While it's a finite source we could never possibly burn all of it because some other technology will emerge that can fully replace it. My bet is on geothermal or possibly fusion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Robert Murray made a substantial donation to the Trump Inaugural Fund. In March. Two months after the inauguration.
Exactly. This topic is about cronyism. Not the future of power generation. Nice try at Deflection there Trumpies.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
The pay to play grifter Trump was the perfect fit for the crime syndicate the GOP has morphed into. Get rid of all of them!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/12/69396...ntent=20190212

In his latest effort to boost the coal business — and in the process help a major supporter — President Trump has called on the Tennessee Valley Authority to, essentially, ignore the advice of its staff and keep a large coal-fired power plant operating.

The move has drawn extra scrutiny because that plant buys coal from a company headed by a large campaign donor to Trump, Murray Energy Corporation Chairman, President and CEO Robert Murray.

The facility at issue is the last remaining unit at TVA's Paradise Fossil Plant in Western Kentucky.

Last year Trump ordered Energy Secretary Rick Perry to take steps to help struggling coal and nuclear power plants, which have trouble competing against cheaper natural gas and renewable energy. No such plan has been carried out so far. Meanwhile, coal plants have continued to close during Trump's time in office, and coal consumption in the U.S. has hit its lowest point in nearly four decades.

So why this ONE plant?? What makes this one so special? Is this too be another one of Trumps big wins if he can save this one plant?
So in spite of the shrieking and carrying on by NPR and liberals about Trump being a dictator and people buying favors and swamp creatures and so forth, the Trump administration has been unable to deflect the needle.
All this "Trump The Dictator" stuff is just hysteria, along with the 'dirty air' and 'hate clean energy' nonsense.
Not long ago you were all chiding Trump because he could not generate coal jobs. And now he's evil because he might be able to.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Why are conservatives against moving forward with cleaner forms of Energy?
If there is a demand for it private enterprise will satisfy it without gov. intervention.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:36 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For perspective we burn a little less than one billion tons per year, the very tip of this pyramid labeled active mines is enough coal to supply us for the next 20 years. The section labeled "estimated recoverable reserves" is based on coal they know is there and can be mined feasibly using today's technology. The demonstrated reserve base is coal they know is there but may or may not be feasible to mine in the future. The rest of it best guess and may not have a lot of hard data to support the estimate.

While it's a finite source we could never possibly burn all of it because some other technology will emerge that can fully replace it. My bet is on geothermal or possibly fusion.

Geothermal is pretty cool technology and it's something I've looked at for myself because of our very, very high electricity rates here along with the need for constant HVAC. There's ample opportunity and areas of opportunity for it to become something useful in the future. Plus it doesn't kill birds like wind farms or require huge swaths of land like solar (not to mention the precious minerals needed for manufacture of those things). Nuclear is already so strapped by regulations and no place to put waste that it's nearly impossible to open a new plant in this country (our own state just lost 9 Billion on trying to do so).

Right now, you have coal, natural gas, and the few remaining hydroelectric dams in the West. If people want those nifty electric cars, gotta have some way to power them and the only feasible ways include coal as of right now.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If there is a demand for it private enterprise will satisfy it without gov. intervention.
So.Much.Truth.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Then we come back around to the point where the question needs to be asked, how many more people need to die for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So in spite of the shrieking and carrying on by NPR and liberals about Trump being a dictator and people buying favors and swamp creatures and so forth, the Trump administration has been unable to deflect the needle.
All this "Trump The Dictator" stuff is just hysteria, along with the 'dirty air' and 'hate clean energy' nonsense.
Not long ago you were all chiding Trump because he could not generate coal jobs. And now he's evil because he might be able to.
I’m sorry I didn’t post a more biased news source that paints Trump in a more favorable light just to appease you. So Trumps save this ONE plant your okay with him bragging about how he saved the entire coal industry? Sorry that’s a silly question, of course you are.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Exactly so the President shouldn't be trying to push coal right

Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Geothermal is pretty cool technology and it's something I've looked at for myself because of our very, very high electricity rates here along with the need for constant HVAC.

I'm not referring to residential geothermal, that requires power. I'm referring to extracting heat from much greater depths to create power, the deeper you go the hotter it gets. There is already places that do this like Iceland but they are extracting that heat near the surface. If you wanted to turn Yellowstone into giant power station it could supply the entire country with power and much more. That of course is unlikely to happen but that technology can be applied elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies