Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 PM

50,076 posts, read 46,646,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Good.
flat line brain activity

This will go nowhere. It's like saying you bought a car with aftermarket rims and that made someone drive drunk. Morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 PM

18,515 posts, read 7,274,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Long gun sales are not restricted by state residency. The sale of the magazines was not illegal either. The judge is stupid and does not the law. It will be overturned on appeal.
The judge is probably LAZY, not stupid. She just denied the MSJ without comment so she wouldn't have to do any work at this point.

Plus, setting aside the lying plaintiff's lawyer's comments, it looks like the lawsuit doesn't have anything to do with the killer's connection to Colorado. It seems that it's about the criminal actions that he engaged in while in the Air Force, which the Air Force failed to report to the proper authorities that Academy would have relied on in doing a background check. The scumbag lawyer is now trying to make Academy pay for the Air Force's screw-up.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 02-13-2019 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 09:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,464,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Hopefully the beginning of holding those who would profit from illegals sales of firearms, responsible.
Wait a minute.
That scumbag passed a background check because the airforce did not update NICS for domestic violence on an airforce base.

How in the world is the store liable for the FBI AND Airforce F up.
If he was a civilian he'd had been denied.

Oh and see FOPA of 1986. Can't hold the retailer liable for the actions of a criminal. Nor for the epic failure of .gov...

Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 PM

79,903 posts, read 43,915,797 times
There is a legal question here. It's not for a judge to decide a case before it's presented.

I doubt there is any guilt found but that's to be determined in court.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,464,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is a legal question here. It's not for a judge to decide a case before it's presented.

I doubt there is any guilt found but that's to be determined in court.
Gun store is not guilty because of the FBI background check coming back clean... that's on the FBI actually, on the Airforce... specifically the department and individual responsible for notifying NICS within the Airforce...

Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 PM

79,903 posts, read 43,915,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Gun store is not guilty because of the FBI background check coming back clean... that's on the FBI actually, on the Airforce... specifically the department and individual responsible for notifying NICS within the Airforce...
I didn't say they are guilty. I doubt very seriously they are.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 PM

10,393 posts, read 5,524,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I can't speak to the Texas laws, but I know in Virginia you can not buy a gun with a out-of-state drivers license. To buy the gun in Virginia and be able to walk out with it, you have to be a Virginia resident. If however you are from Colorado and want to buy the gun, and have it then shipped back to Colorado, that is possible, you would pay for in Virginia, the Virginia gun dealer would then priority overnight it to a FFL deal near that resident in Colorado.

The Colorado FFL gun dealer would then perform the background check on you, the NICS check; and you would pay the Colorado dealer a transfer fee.

The drivers license is only 1 of the accepted forms of Identification, but it is the primary. But Passport is another & so is Military Identification.
Unless the law in Virginia was recently changed, I believe you are incorrect. Virginia follows Federal law which allows an out of state resident to purchase a long gun from a dealer in Virginia.

Also, dealers aren’t required to send guns overnight, they can send both long guns and hand guns regular USPS mail.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,449,365 times
Quote:
The FBI is above the law though...maybe if they could be targets of a lawsuit?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,239,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
How was the sale illegal. The article was vague there. It said applicable laws. What laws? Why wasn’t that part expounded on?

I know why, as a gun dealer, that sale was not illegal.
The claim is that the guy showed a Colorado State Drivers License, which could invalidate the sale, unless, he had other documentation establishing residency in Texas.

So it wasn't illegal, the guy was obviously resident in Texas, the sale was in Texas, the shooting was in Texas. Absolutely nothing involves Colorado except his DL.

The kicker is an FFL can ship a long gun to anyone in any state provided they are not a prohibited person, and providing the long gun is LEGAL in both the state of residence of the buyer, AND, the state of transfer. In this case it could be an illegal sale, if the perpetrator was not TX resident, because it would be illegal to possess that rifle with magazine in CO. However, this covers shipping a long gun, not in store sale or transfer.

Personally as an ex-FFL I'd be very skeptical of anyone trying to buy a rifle from me with no way to establish in-state residency and carry it out. I'd rent one out, but I'd probably refuse an in state sale to an out of state resident and give them immediate possession, but I'd ship it to their home address out of state.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:39 AM

24,294 posts, read 9,185,432 times
Quote:
If they want to sue the FBI or Air Force then good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies