Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:39 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So this is all just Texas tea bagger nonsense?
I could smell the BS as soon as I saw the title of the thread. Of course the Trumpies will buy it like it came down from Mt. Sinai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Heh-heh......... Some of these people who "don't care" get a little windy, don't they?
It's all about winning or losing and controlling the outcome to a lot of people. Nothing more.
You lose. How's that for brief and to the point?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:53 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Sounds like people are losing patience with inept politicians and getting border security done themselves. First with We Build The Wall and now this. More power to them all!

Two members of the Texas House of Representatives are preparing a bill that would provide $2.5 billion to fund a border wall. The proposal would take the money from Texas’ “Rainy Day Fund.”

https://www.breitbart.com/border/201...n-border-wall/
I support this 100%. If the citizens in border states want their tax dollars to build their own wall, then by all means go for it.

I don't understand why Trump supporters don't get why some Americans don't want it. Trump has said 148 times since 2016 that Mexico was going to pay for the wall.

And now Trump wants us taxpayers to fund it, that contradicts what he said over the last three years.

If Mexico is to pay for it like Trump said they would, I fully support the wall. Hell, I WANT the wall if Mexico pays.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why not both?

Policy based solutions are all well and good but they have one gigantic drawback......

They can easily be reversed by future administrations with the stroke of a pen

Once a wall is up, it's up and doing it's job until it falls down or is torn down.
Maga cultists are focused on wall, not more pragmatic solutions to deal with the illegals issue

Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Maga cultists are focused on wall, not more pragmatic solutions to deal with the illegals issue
Yep.

It's that "look at the shiny object over there" syndrome. It's like they all have rings in their noses and they all turn their heads on queue.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Speaking of state boondoggles, maybe California will help out by sending Texas the remaining billions they won’t need to spend on their high speed choo-choo.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hey, if Texans want to spend all their money on a cement wall, despite being one of the states with the least health-insured and one of the lowest grades for education, I say great! Let them.

But don't come crying to the US taxpayers when the state floods due to the greed of overdevelopment. Take it out of the "rainy day" fund.

And, frankly, if Texas doesn't need the money--why did we pay for Harvey? Refund please.
If Californians want to open the doors to criminal aliens, in spite of being one of the most poverty ridden states in the nation with the worst educational success rates-I say great. Just keep them in your state and don't come crying to US taxpayers to fund their education, medical care, housing, crimes, etc, etc.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's called "All hat, no cattle" in Texas.

And if they even tried that - there will be endless lawsuits over getting the rights for the land via eminent domain.
Bingo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I would suggest you check out Google maps. Scroll over to the Texas/Mexico border. Zoom in to max and switch to satellite view. Now, travel along the river for a bit. Get an idea of what it would take to build a wall along the Rio Grande. There is not a straight line anywhere. Half the river belongs to the USA. Are you going to just give it to Mexico? A lot of farmers and cattle ranchers depend on that river. Are you just going to cut it off from the US?

Where I live, there is a new section of road going from 2 lanes to 4. The section is only about 6 miles long. The state has been working on acquiring property, right of way and so on for three years. They are just now starting on utilities and the entire project is projected to take another 4-5 years. For just 6 miles.

Building a wall along the Rio Grande would just be the beginning. There has to be infrastructure. Electronic sensing, electricity. Roads to access a breach quickly. Personnel for boots on the ground. Vehicles. Maintenance.

It is a boondoggle beyond comprehension.

Anyone with common sense can see, with even a little effort, just how impossible the very concept it.
The Rio Grande is the first thing I thought about when the idea of a Wall first came up. I immediately dismissed the whole idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Geographical barriers don't necessarily need a wall. Because they're hard enough to cross by themselves.

Combined with patrols in those areas, geographic barriers can be pretty effective.

Besides, is anyone proposing a wall over every inch of the border?
Yes. Trump did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hey, if Texans want to spend all their money on a cement wall, despite being one of the states with the least health-insured and one of the lowest grades for education, I say great! Let them.

But don't come crying to the US taxpayers when the state floods due to the greed of overdevelopment. Take it out of the "rainy day" fund.

And, frankly, if Texas doesn't need the money--why did we pay for Harvey? Refund please.
That Harvey thing pyssed me off. Especially because the Texas delegation tried to starve out the east coast she their hurricane hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If Californians want to open the doors to criminal aliens, in spite of being one of the most poverty ridden states in the nation with the worst educational success rates-I say great. Just keep them in your state and don't come crying to US taxpayers to fund their education, medical care, housing, crimes, etc, etc.
Your state is just as broke. And as wackjob right wing as Idaho is, they’re all in Washington begging for federal dollars all day long. Idaho is a burden on this country.

Quote:
Idaho receives more federal funding relative to its total spending than two-thirds of all states. And because of its near-bottom average wages, it is reimbursed for social programs at a higher rate than all but two. The state’s proposed budget for next year is one-third funded by federal dollars—a rate more or less consistent over the last several years.

The topic of federal dollars to Idaho has come up in renewed discussions about expanding Medicaid, an option that comes with a windfall of more federal cash. Opponents don’t want to add to federal spending, don’t want to make Idaho more reliant on the federal government and don’t like the idea of the feds dictating policy by attaching dollars to the offer.

But Idaho already takes billions from the feds. Federal dollars boost the economy by paying for military jets, helicopters and bases, dams, parks, forests and nuclear research — all under federal control. The state itself relies hugely on Washington for everything from highways to health programs under state control. How much? The Statesman decided to take closer look at the sources of funding for the next year’s proposed state budget, now being reviewed by the Legislature.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...e60194881.html

Old 02-14-2019, 11:28 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Actually, my state puts in more money to the Feds that we get back. And your state takes in more Federal money than it gives.

So we're paying for you, buddy.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Sounds good to me. Hope it works out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies