Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You are correct, the title of the thread and the Vanity Fair piece says that. Further reading the many articles on this (as well as the Vanity Fair piece) this is for contractors who were out of work, and did not work. As far as I can tell and have read, there were no contractors that worked during the shutdown and did not/will not receive pay. Their payments from the government could be delayed due to the shutdown/backlog, but they will be paid.

Poor words by the Vanity Fair article.
Oh if contractors worked, they were definitely paid. Like you said, the only issue was the delayed payment but there were zero contractors who worked and did not get paid; it was just a bit late is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Stop digging, you're just making yourself look stupid. Even the contractors on here are telling you you're wrong. Or proving the only thing you read was the title and not what was being talked about.
Oh, I read your post, as well as the thread title. And I understood what you were posting perfectly.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:10 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The real question is were there any contractors that were deemed "essential personnel" and had to work during the shutdown but are, reportedly, in danger of not getting paid for that work.

IF there are any contractors in that boat, they absolutely should be paid. Otherwise, not so much.
If they worked they need to be paid. Guess the wage and hour people won't go after the feds.

My across the street neighbor worked most of the time, but he knew he would eventually be paid. Not all people have that luxury.

That's the part I don't get. Why shut things down? It saves no money. It's a dumb way to do business. And hurts your employees. I'd sure think twice before working for the federal government.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If they worked they need to be paid. Guess the wage and hour people won't go after the feds.

My across the street neighbor worked most of the time, but he knew he would eventually be paid. Not all people have that luxury.

That's the part I don't get. Why shut things down? It saves no money. It's a dumb way to do business. And hurts your employees. I'd sure think twice before working for the federal government.
The short answer is that current law forbids expenditure of funds that haven't been appropriated. The funding for those departments expired without new funds having been appropriated.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:15 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Stiffing contractors is nothing new to the shyster in chief

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...utdown-backpay

So far, despite all the hurried negotiations over the details of border-security funding, Congress seems to be in agreement that the government will not shut down again on Friday, and has agreed to backpay some 800,000 federal workers the salaries they missed during the previous 35-day shutdown. But when it comes to the federal contractors who also went unpaid during that period—up to 580,000 people, according to one estimate—it gets trickier. “I’ve been told the president won’t sign” anything that guarantees them backpay, Senator Roy Blunt told reporters on Wednesday. “I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees.”
I read it was the Republicans - not sure mr T in this yet.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:03 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think you might not have this right.

During a shutdown, some contractors are not allowed to work because of the nature of their contracts. They don't bill, they don't get paid, and they also don't get back pay.

Some contractors can work during a shutdown and get pay as long as they are permitted and they are funded at the time of the shutdown.

Now, during a shutdown, contractors who are working are constantly invoicing the government. Usually every 2-4 weeks. During a shutdown, those payments for work previously performed don't get made because there is no one working at the government to authorize those payments. They then get paid very late.

Obama made some provision to get them quickly paid.

That is not the same as "back pay" for work you didn't do. No administration has ever paid contractors for being impacted by the shutdown.
You are correct.

I love all he "experts" on here who have NEVER READ a gov't contract yet, KNOW what the contracts say.

The contractor company SIGNED the contract and KNOWS what is in it. They KNOW the risks and accept it.

We had a clause in ALL of our contracts stating, " The government." may CANCEL this contract at will." meaning even in the middle of the contact the fed could say, "sorry, we have decided we do not want this contact anymore" and it is cancelled immediately.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Trump has a consistent history of not paying contractors for their work. What's new?
Did these contractors that didn't get paid tell you this? Do you know them personally or did someone you know, knows someone that knows someone that told them this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies