Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In Florida, 46% of people are not making it.

It is not inhabitable for the average person 6 months a year (especially seniors), so you live inside in A/C.

Yes, it's so bad that thousands of people are moving there every year.

But look at what is happening to the money. It's leaving NY and CA and going to FL and TX.

https://www.howmoneywalks.com/irs-tax-migration/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Until they can make NY a semitropical climate, they cannot stop it. Low tax northern states are losing people to FL also.

NY should be pushing hard for global warming.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times

Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Doormen in NY make well over six figures.

Hyperbole much?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:16 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
In my visits to Oklahoma I'm amazed at how many cars I know see with New York license plates. Crazy! Why would New Yorkers move to the land of rednecks and the buckle of the Bible Belt? Lower taxes, cheaper housing prices and cheap illegal alien labor to mow their lawns, do their housing clean and clean their pools.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:25 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If Florida is siphoning off New York's poor and elderly, is that so bad? New York will get richer and Florida will get poorer and more lawless than it is now. For a couple of congressional seats, it may be worth the loss in the long run!
They're mostly siphoning off the rich\elderly and those that are more mobile\employable.

Logically, I have to laugh at your SPIN that this is some sort of *win* for NY as the governor complains about it!

Old 02-15-2019, 06:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In Florida, 46% of people are not making it.
It is polluted beyond measure - quality of life ranks #34. In some other metrics it is in the bottom 10. 22 million people and counting.

Most of the seafood and gulf based industries are dead....because the Gulf is dead due to pollution.

Traffic is a nightmare - highest pedestrian deaths in the USA. The "fix" is putting in 12 lane roads everywhere, which makes it impossible to get rid of the constant noise (din). Crime in many places is off the charts.

It is not inhabitable for the average person 6 months a year (especially seniors), so you live inside in A/C.

Not exactly a state has a good sustainable economy going. Oh, did I mention a year+ of horrible red tide that killed everything? That is a toxin to humans? That even my friends who live in a 2 million dollar house a block from the beach don't let their children go in the water? Ever?

Yep, paradise awaits. C'mon down. Maybe you can live in a hot tin box too (trailer...where many people have to live...and not nice ones either!).....

Florida Man (check Reddit) is alive and well. You may even turn into one.

Part of the American ethos...make your money in one place, go to the decent schools, accept the decent health care and public transit and everything else...THEN, move so you won't have to pay for other peoples kids. Unfortunately, the economics don't work out....and, the health care you are likely to see in Florida isn't up to snuff. The state is basically a giant vending machine designed to fleece you before you pass away.

Oh, did I tell you about crime? Homeless? Drugs? Paradise awaits.
Wages? Depends on the industry.
For example. State employees, do not make near the same what they do in NY.
On the other hand. No state income taxes. No asinine property taxes.
My sheriff deputy buddies here started at 34k per year. In my former AO they'd make 45k to start.
However, they get to drive their police car home. Where in NY, every end of shift, the cars get parked behind the barracks. 2 birds with 1 stone.
Cuts crime as a deterrence. LEO's do not have to use their vehicle to get to and from work.
Same goes for most every other state employee that uses a vehicle. Like building inspectors etc.

Crime? Many towns have low to no crime at all.
Same goes for NY. There's areas in NY that are plagued with homeless, drugs, violence. You'll have that everywhere.

Social safety nets. If you are productive and proficient in a career, one that is in demand, there really isn't a need for social safety nets.
Yes Florida as a whole is a seasonal economy. Many parts of NY are also seasonal economies. Farms/orchards, Skiing, etc.

Traffic does suck. That will happen when you have medians that forbid left turns, non driving idiots that sit through green lights, to creep up to speed, grandpa snowbird in a 200mph capable corvette or hell cat challenger doing 10 under the Posted speed limit in the left lane.

Florida isn't as bad as you make it sound. If you are dependent on state .gov services/social safety nets, yes. You're screwed.
If you're independent and self reliant, you'll be fine.

The heat and humidity is a great way to combat obesity. Not that I'm fat, I lost the 20lbs I wanted to lose my first summer here.

Hurricanes are also something to consider. Then again, I've lived through blizzards that had stronger wind gusts than Irma when it hit my current AO.

Firefighters and EMS are paid here too. NY many counties and towns, EMS and Fire are volunteer units. Healthcare? There's a few hospitals in NY that are referred to as the morgue. Go in with an ailment, die inside from misdiagnosis or malpractice. There's even some PCPs there that are so horrible you'd be better off seeing a veterinarian...

Red tide, pollution etc.
Hudson River ring a bell? Hoosick Falls water contamination crisis ring a bell? Only Florida is negatively impacted by pollution?
Red tide has been a thing I'm told by Florida natives for YEARS decades even, before it was developed. Lake Okeechobee can easily be fixed.
Dredge it. Go to the farms that are near the tributaries that feed it, place clay barriers along the edges of the property to prevent fertilizers and herbicides from leeching into the tributaries.

Hell the lake I used to live on in NY was ruined by policies enacted by cityiot busy bodies. Rezone it residential and ban waterfowl hunting. What possibly could go wrong there....
Canadian geese. They chased off the mallards took over the lake to the point you wouldn't see water just geese for as far as the eye can see. Use it as a toilet and breeding grounds. All that crap caused algae and bacteria levels to skyrocket. It was so bad in fact, ENCON DEC and the Health Department placed signs up telling you not to go in the water with open wounds, cuts sores, not to drink the water, nor eat the fish from the lake.
But ban boats and jetskis because "pollution"
The lake I lived on went from serene and picturesque into an oversized swamp by know it all busy bodies who were elected to the town board by none other than cityiot busy bodies.

They tried to pin the blame on farms stating this "crisis" was farmers fault. Suggesting fertilizers are what caused the algae to grow... no... it wasnt. It was geese crapping in the lake to the tune of 1,000+
Farmers in the area were the whipping boy to get them to capitulate and sell their land to developers for more housing... they incurred the expense of putting clay down trucked in from Western NY 3-5 feet deep, building a berm an additional 3 feet high around their property lines, and adding drainage/storage with pump houses to keep flooding from the thaw and rain from getting into the streams and creeks that flowed OUT OF the lake... Funny when soil samples were taken and silt deposits in those streams and creeks were taken and nothing identical to what was tested on the farmers land were in those streams and creeks, but blame the farmers... never mind allowing an invasive species to proliferate on that lake...

What's amusing. You retire to Florida and bash it. You act as though these issues are only present in Florida. They're not exclusive to Florida. They exist everywhere busy bodies can be found. With that said. Take your own advice. Leave.
It's that bad? Leave. Why stay and be miserable?

Clearly you have a problem with how the state is run here. I had that same problem in NY. Why stay and be miserable? Go where you're welcomed with open arms and fit in.
I never understood the logic of North east elitists-change everything from others way of life, criminalizing everything either to generate revenue for the state or to discourage exercising constitutional protected rights that exist elsewhere without impedance. God forbid folks live and lead happy, healthy, productive lives without busy bodies trying to make them felons in one fashion or another.

Seriously get caught in NY with an AR and standard capacity magazine. You'll be bunking with bubba. Get caught on the 4th of July shooting off mortars and bottle rockets. You'll be bunking with bubba. Hop on your motorcycle at a gas station and fire it up with no helmet on. Let a state revenue collecter, I mean state trooper, catch you do that. No warning. Ticket for operating without a helmet with a nice fine and court date attached. Where's the logic in that?

Florida fleeces it's people? Pfft. You must have NY and Florida confused. If Cuomo can't get it from you in taxes, he will get it from you in fines and fees.

I lived in NY... grew up in NY... a product of public schools in NY...

Cuomo removed any and all incentive for me to remain in NY. Seems Florida removes any incentive for you to be here. So do what I did. Hold a firesale. Leave. No sense in remaining somewhere that gets that far under your skin... You'll be happier in California... You'll fit right in there.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Until they can make NY a semitropical climate, they cannot stop it. Low tax northern states are losing people to FL also.

NY should be pushing hard for global warming.
LOL that literally made my morning. I wish I could rep that 10x over.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,234,032 times
I don't recommend anyone who is working age and does not have money to buy a house on arrival avoid Florida. Florida is a lot more expensive than people realize because they don't account for the difference in income and local taxes to cover a lack of a state tax. Business in Florida still rather pay you in sunshine than real money. And rent is not cheap when compared to salaries offered on jobs.

We also look cheap from the outside but soon after moving here you will realize those saving are only had in the Boonies or outskirts of cities. And you will have to commute a ways to enjoy the discounted housing prices, jobs are difficult to find outside the large cities. This also makes you very susceptible to gas price changes as driving 30-40 miles each way daily for work is common in Florida. You want to live near the beach, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, or Orlando then cost go up significantly.

If you not elderly then you will pay a very high property tax (local taxes are high d/t no state tax), and everything you want to do in the state has fees. You cant even get to a beach without a load of traffic and fees upon arriving. I like many things about Florida but I have lived in much cheaper places with higher paying jobs and opportunities for working folks (San Antonio Tx. is one).

Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,152 times
Truly one of the great ironies of our time. Weather excepted as a reason. High taxes are the spawn of an over regulated, over providing, over bearing government. You want protected, saved and taken care of; high taxes are in your rear mirror. Coming up fast.

Be careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know several people that have moved to Florida and the main reason is the weather and to save on taxes.

The problem is when Liberal minded people move away from the problems they have created they often bring those same problems with them to their new home.

We have seen an exodus from California and now NY and the states around them are turning purple if not blue.

The Democrat way of thinking is like a virus! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies