Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
They are able to speak both English AND Spanish, which actually makes them better at communicating than people who can only speak one language yet presume that they are somehow better than people who possess skills they lack - THAT would be arrogance, not to mention ignorance.
Perhaps our government should fund free SSL classes so that English speakers can learn Spanish like they do for Spanish speakers to learn English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 01:56 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Perhaps our government should fund free SSL classes so that English speakers can learn Spanish like they do for Spanish speakers to learn English.

Why? We aren't a Spanish speaking country per se and there are several other languages spoken here besides Spanish. English is our language and a part of our heritage and culture. To share it with another language or to make it equal with another is BS. Immigrants are to adapt to us not the other way around and the only reason that there are so many Spanish speakers in our country is directly due to illegal immigration.

Many Spanish speakers also know English but they refuse to speak it unless they have to and to me that is ignorance and arrogance.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:07 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

They do: it's called public school.

Choosing to graduate high school without functional fluency in Spanish or French is a choice for most, with the exception of some poorly funded schools with very limited foreign language coursework.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:16 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Quote:
This is old news. He did not detain them for speaking Spanish. He asked them for ID because he suspected them of being illegals. People are asked for ID by police officers all the time especially if they appear suspicious, seem out of place, or any crime has been committed in the area. Show them your ID and get over it.
^This. Why is it so hard to understand? If you seem out of place then you may be approached by police.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why? We aren't a Spanish speaking country per se and there are several other languages spoken here besides Spanish. English is our language and a part of our heritage and culture. To share it with another language or to make it equal with another is BS. Immigrants are to adapt to us not the other way around and the only reason that there are so many Spanish speakers in our country is directly due to illegal immigration.

Many Spanish speakers also know English but they refuse to speak it unless they have to and to me that is ignorance and arrogance.

English is my first language, and has been the language of my family since they arrived in what would become the United States of America in 1638.

None of those factors impacts my choice to speak Spanish regularly in public. Why would someone be so arrogant and ignorant as to expect any influence on what languages others choose to speak?

Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lead View Post
Learning stuff is cool

Up is down
Black is white
Knowing two languages is ignorance
Exercising the freedom to speak the language you want to is arrogance

Saying "Newspeak" is accepted
Saying "Neo lengua" is a crime

I can learn stuff that will be of an advantage to me instead. It's stupid to learn a language you will never use.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
But some people may use it
And it would be an advantage to them

And, again
Why do you think people who know more skills (languages) are ignorant?
Why do you think people who use their freedom are arrogant?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Where did I say that learning "useful" skills is ignorant? Myself and most others in this country have no need to learn a foreign language and there are many other things that would be more useful to learn. It's a matter of choosing which skills will benefit you and which ones won't in your daily life. The only ones who might find learning a foreign language beneficial are those who are in the tourist industry or have to deal with foreign countries on their jobs but even then English is the global language of business.

Yes, we all have the freedom of being rude and yes that's being arrogant. There is a time and place for everything and a time to respect the natives of any country that you reside in out in public. I couldn't care less what language one speaks in the privacy of their own homes.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Where did I say you did?

What you said was

And what I said was

and then asked

Perhaps you have the reading comprehension problem

So, again, why do you think people who know Spanish and don't make their decisions about when to speak it based on your preferences are ignorant and arrogant?

Right
Isn't it also a matter of choosing what language you want to speak at any given time?

Go back and read your own post!

You said....."Why do you think people who know more skills (languages) are ignorant?
Why do you think people who use their freedom are arrogant"?

Where did I say that people who know more than one language are ignorant?

It's ignorant and rude not to speak English in public when at all possible. Don't agree with that? I don't give a damn.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
No, every Jewish person I know has had an ID on them when the situation presented itself, so that's not it. If you're going somewhere where you'll need to pay for something, you'll have your wallet on you. If you go anywhere, you'll have your wallet on you. If you're going to a bodega that gets ICE raids and plan on speaking in spanish in it, you'll have your ID on you.
I'm not Hispanic or Jewish, and I often do not have ID on me. Every day, when I walk the dog for an hour, I don't have ID or cell phone on me.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, we all have the freedom of being rude and yes that's being arrogant. There is a time and place for everything and a time to respect the natives of any country that you reside in out in public. I couldn't care less what language one speaks in the privacy of their own homes.

I am a native of this country. My family has been here since 1638.

When and where, exactly, is the time and place that I should not be allowed to speak a language I worked hard to learn? As far as I can tell, it's everywhere. If you are not part of my conversation, why do you care what language I speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies