Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:12 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,003 times

Advertisements

No one should be detained in our country for speaking whichever language they want to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm no proponent of illegal immigration, but something's wrong when a person is detained for speaking other than English.

Would it have been any different had they been speaking some other European language such as French, Welsh, German, Luxembourgish, etc.?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47249977

Well, when I was young my Dad was stationed in the PI. We were there for almost 5 years. A Filipina nanny took care of me as my Dad was always in the field and my Mom off on Navy wife functions. When we came back stateside I should have been going into the 1st grade. Thing was my English was less than perfect as my nanny always spoke Tagalog with me.

I can remember sitting in the classroom and the teacher sounding like the teachers voice in the Charlie Brown cartoons. Blah blah ba blah blah. So when the teacher turned her back I would slip out the door and go wandering around the schoolgrounds.

So I was set up with "special" education at the Kindergarten level having English hammered into me. Sometimes literally as a frustrated teacher or two gave me more than one "lesson" with a yardstick. Oh I told my folks but the teachers just denied it. Mores the pity now I don't remember much Tagalog. Wish I did. Maybe if I was exposed to it daily it might start to come back from my deep dark memories.

This is America and I do believe that English is our primary language and people immigrating here should learn it but I also believe being multilingual is a good thing. I wish I could have retained being able to speak Tagalog rather than having it basically beaten out of me. I do have issue with immigrants who do not speak English out of disrespect which there is an issue with. But I also believe that we should encourage being multilingual. And not just English and Spanish.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLiberty View Post
It's not hard to grasp. It's easy to grasp. It's simply wrong. We are a multicultural nation and there's no denying that fact. You should actually visit the United States at some point. Travel from Texas to Louisiana, to Florida, to Boston, to Minnesota, and then you'll see that we are extremely multicultural.
Wrong again! We have one identifying culture and language with minority ones living among us. You're the one that can't seem to grasp that. I've been all over the U.S. and saw exactly what I am stating. We are not multi-cultural per se.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLiberty View Post
I'm sure you have, since, studied other languages in school and such, no?

While Tagalog is hard to come by, I have studied French, Spanish, German, Latin (albeit not spoken), Mandarin and in school (focusing on German, Spanish, and Latin in my high school). Now with all the travel we do, It's nice to be able to understand the languages. Especially in the U.S.

Yea I've studied a couple other languages. But not to the point of any fluency like I had with Tagalog. These days I have more time on my hands and there is a class in Tagalog offered at the community college here I think I will take in. It's still in there somewhere. There are a lot of Filipina nurses in the hospital here and I've spent some time over the last couple years laid up there. I listen to them talk and I can still pick up on conversational topics by words and phrases I find I still recognize here and there.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yea I've studied a couple other languages. But not to the point of any fluency like I had with Tagalog. These days I have more time on my hands and there is a class in Tagalog offered at the community college here I think I will take in. It's still in there somewhere. There are a lot of Filipina nurses in the hospital here and I've spent some time over the last couple years laid up there. I listen to them talk and I can still pick up on conversational topics by words and phrases I find I still recognize here and there.
If you don't use it you lose it especially if you don't travel outside of this country much. Most employers require English to be spoken on the job while on the clock for safety reasons so why would a bunch of nurses be speaking a foreign language while working? Breaks of course can be the exception.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If you don't use it you lose it especially if you don't travel outside of this country much. Most employers require English to be spoken on the job while on the clock for safety reasons so why would a bunch of nurses be speaking a foreign language while working? Breaks of course can be the exception.

These were hallway banters I could just overhear. They actually aren't supposed to speak anything but English while on the floor even in the hallway, but they do.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
These were hallway banters I could just overhear. They actually aren't supposed to speak anything but English while on the floor even in the hallway, but they do.
I know all about these rule breakers. My wife once worked with a bunch of Hispanics (who knew how to speak English) and they did the same thing. A complaint was filed and a note put on the bulletin board reminding them that they had to speak English while on the clock breaks and lunches were the exception. A Hispanic employee ripped it off the board and threw it into the trash. Such arrogance!

Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know all about these rule breakers. My wife once worked with a bunch of Hispanics (who knew how to speak English) and they did the same thing. A complaint was filed and a note put on the bulletin board reminding them that they had to speak English while on the clock breaks and lunches were the exception. A Hispanic employee ripped it off the board and threw it into the trash. Such arrogance!

Yes, that is the intentional disrespect I spoke of earlier that there is an issue with. It's one of the reasons I want to get my Tagalog back since we have a large Filipino population here that I seem to be constantly butting up against in my medical care. I wouldn't mind a functional knowledge of Spanish so I know when they're talking about me or being intentionally disrespectful in public.

Just for giggles I wouldn't mind knowing Russian and I've always wanted to learn Japanese.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is the intentional disrespect I spoke of earlier that there is an issue with. It's one of the reasons I want to get my Tagalog back since we have a large Filipino population here that I seem to be constantly butting up against in my medical care. I wouldn't mind a functional knowledge of Spanish so I know when they're talking about me or being intentionally disrespectful in public.

Just for giggles I wouldn't mind knowing Russian and I've always wanted to learn Japanese.
I'm not the least bit interested in knowing what foreigners are talking about in a foreign language out in public to me it's about disrespect of our national de facto language when they know how to speak English but refuse to out in public. I couldn't care less what language they speak in their own homes. I have no interest in learning several different languages that I most likely would hardly ever use. We already have the common language of English to communicate in so I don't understand why we'd need to learn a foreign language in our own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies