Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol, you just don't get it, do you. I quoted a ridiculous loophole in the tax law which allows certain people to pay capital gains tax on their earned compensation.
Um... They pay capital gains tax on it because they actually ARE capital gains. If you can't comprehend that, no one can help you.
Quote:
Irrelevant. When there is a risk that this compensation can become negative 1 billion than let me know.
You remind me of Obama who insisted that health insurance premiums were going to fall by 3,000%.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
That is correct, HOWEVER, as your income increase, your effective rate converges with your marginal rate. You can agree on that, no?
Yes, but it would take a hell of a high salary/wage income to get to the convergence point (I ran the numbers and it's over $20 million for the 37% bracket). And when you get to that amount, it's frequently not paid in straight salary/wages but paid in methods which do not drain so much of the business's cash flow, some or all of which may be a share of the capital gains.

My point still stands. The vast majority of taxpayers, 99.9%, will have a lower effective federal income tax rate than that of their top marginal income tax bracket.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 AM

8,116 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... They pay capital gains tax on it because they actually ARE capital gains. If you can't comprehend that, no one can help you.
You remind me of Obama who insisted that health insurance premiums were going to fall by 3,000%.

No, it is a fee for work performed. How this fee is paid for is irrelevant. Work wages are supposed to be taxed at regular income tax rates.

Removing this loophole would not change anything in regards to the capital gains tax rates.

Why are we talking about healthcare premiums now, another distraction/diversion?

Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
losers never want to pay their share, familiar story

Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
No, it is a fee for work performed. How this fee is paid for is irrelevant.
Capital gains are capital gains. Congress concurs.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The ultra rich and ultra poor have the lowest effective tax rates, while the middle and merely rich take it on the chin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...axes-for-real/

The Ultrarich's dirty secret: not paying taxes - Wes McKinney

I agree with this.

But FWIW I also agree that EITC should be removed or revised - I'd prefer it be removed.

Most poor parents don't understand that their "refund" really isn't a refund in my experience. They really think they are paying a lot of taxes (lol but they do) or are getting something back they are paying when they are not.

Note, the last few years I actually have gotten a tax refund mostly due to the credits for repairs/maintenance and management of my rental properties. I've never gotten a "refund" though like I used to get when my son was preschool aged and I'd get $6-10k back every year during his toddler years to kindergarten. I got EITC at that time since I wasn't married even though I lived with my current spouse. I used the "refund" to partially pay his taxes. But the EITC and daycare credits is what caused me to get back a lot. I used to spend $8-$10k per year on daycare for him and so that would reduce my income enough to qualify for EITC. I understood this and took the money but most people/parents don't understand that or care about it and honestly I didn't care either. You want to give someone $8-$10k or more for free and they're going to take it lol. I do think it needs to be removed since it is just something leftover from welfare reform in the 1990s. I also remember Obama took away the huge credits I used to get for daycare expenses. After he became president, I no longer got those large tax refunds. It is a reason why I loved GW Bush - I got big tax refunds and stimulus checks from Bush. Will always have a fondness for him because of the good memories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies