Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM

662 posts, read 313,311 times

Advertisements

With Colin Kaepernick getting a settlement, I see lots of conservatives commenting about how its unacceptable for him to disrespect police and military, followed by rants about what a low life, self serving piece of crap he is.

Why is okay for Trump to trash the FBI, throw the CIA under the bus beside Putin and in front of the world, and blow off recommendations from military generals as if they are ignorant?

You really can't have it both ways without being total hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 11:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
When did family values folks ever care about Irony or Hypocrisy?

As Humans, our ability to reason allows us to see all the good and bad in various situations. The minute anyone starts pushing just one end of that, it's suspect. People like Mueller and Comey, despite being human, are the types of people who hold up Civil Society.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:05 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
What a strange comparison you are trying to make.

Kaepernick came on the scene as a hot quarterback but then he started to slide like so many do to the point where he was not a starter and then he started his kneeling. I can understand why no team would want such a controversial character in their locker room because he really did take attention away from the game.

I guess he has had the final laugh with his lucrative Nike ads and now this settlement. I wonder how much of the money he will funnel back to poor black communities and groups like Black Lives Matter. I guess we will see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

I don't think it is right for Trump to "trash" the generals and other advisors but the FBI under Comey where agents were actively trying to keep him from being elected..?

There is nothing hypocritical about the 2 men. Colin saw an issue that he was concerned about so he brought attention to it. The Don also sees an issue with a biased FBI and others and he has brought attention to it.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Imo, its perfectly acceptable to trash law enforcement, if they are enforcing laws that are wrong.

Drug laws come to mind first, police today have NO business enforcing these laws, as they were created as a tool of racism, to control certain minorities, once we found out why those laws were written and enacted, they should have been redacted immediately, the fact that LE fights SO aggressively to keep these laws in place, just makes it that much more clear what their intentions truly are.

Drug laws should have went the way of drinking fountain laws, lunch counter laws, bus seat laws, etc. Its a real shame laws like this are still on the books and enforced so aggressively.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Imo, its perfectly acceptable to trash law enforcement, if they are enforcing laws that are wrong.
Blame the game, not the players....in this particular case.

But, if like many, those Police are stealing money and drugs from the "till", then they deserve critique.

LE is only the last gear or cog in a LONG chain.

I think most people in LE are very decent. But it's MUCH more than a percent or two who aren't...or who are corruptible. Taken against millions in the trade, that ends up being a lot of people so we can't help but notice it.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Blame the game, not the players....in this particular case.

But, if like many, those Police are stealing money and drugs from the "till", then they deserve critique.

LE is only the last gear or cog in a LONG chain.

I think most people in LE are very decent. But it's MUCH more than a percent or two who aren't...or who are corruptible. Taken against millions in the trade, that ends up being a lot of people so we can't help but notice it.
Nah you also blame the ones who do the hands on dirty work.
"just doing my job" isn't an excuse for bad behavior. See Nuremberg trials for proof.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What a strange comparison you are trying to make.

Kaepernick came on the scene as a hot quarterback but then he started to slide like so many do to the point where he was not a starter and then he started his kneeling. I can understand why no team would want such a controversial character in their locker room because he really did take attention away from the game.

I guess he has had the final laugh with his lucrative Nike ads and now this settlement. I wonder how much of the money he will funnel back to poor black communities and groups like Black Lives Matter. I guess we will see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

I don't think it is right for Trump to "trash" the generals and other advisors but the FBI under Comey where agents were actively trying to keep him from being elected..?

There is nothing hypocritical about the 2 men. Colin saw an issue that he was concerned about so he brought attention to it. The Don also sees an issue with a biased FBI and others and he has brought attention to it.
Kap came from a very wealthy family and did nothing with the money he already had.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
FBI, CIA, military, police...they all suck.

Brevity unlocked.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nah you also blame the ones who do the hands on dirty work.
"just doing my job" isn't an excuse for bad behavior. See Nuremberg trials for proof.
Well...there comes a point where that is like blaming the Burger flipper for the vast pollution caused by Cattle Industrial operations.

I know quite a bit about those trials - certainly you know that only a tiny percentage of "criminals" in Germany and elsewhere were ever called to the carpet?

"only 6,656 were convicted of Nazi crimes. And “the vast majority of sentences — just under five thousand (4,993) — were relatively lenient, with terms of imprisonment of up to two years,” Fulbrook writes."

So that makes less than 2,000 at the level of, say, a Paul Manafort. Not many.....

Sure, if Rank and File do bad things...then they are wrong. The job does bring power with it (guns and the law/society behind you) and power corrupts.

The only time people seem to like LE is when they badly need help themselves.

I agree we could cut WAY down on the amounts....without all the BS (petty offenses, traffic tickets, etc.) they could spend more time on real stuff...like Domestic Violence, Dirty Priests and other crimes against persons.

In a perfect world, sure, I'd love it for people not to be addicted to meth and heroin, etc. - but, unfortunately, putting them in chains does not appear to be the solution. Besides that it's very costly.

The system can be vastly improved. I think there is more corruption and bad behavior at the local and county levels. Most of the Fed and State orgs have stricter standards in testing and training.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
With Colin Kaepernick getting a settlement, I see lots of conservatives commenting about how its unacceptable for him to disrespect police and military, followed by rants about what a low life, self serving piece of crap he is.

Police brutality/incompetence/corruption is an issue for everyone, the black community and the media seizing on cases like Ferguson for example is not helping things.

Quote:
Why is okay for Trump to trash the FBI, throw the CIA
I don't think it's OK but there is clearly issues in these agencies.

Quote:

and blow off recommendations from military generals as if they are ignorant?
Politicians set policies, Generals carry them out. e.g When the politician decides to invade Iraq and his top general says I want 400K troops you probably should give it to him -OR- when you decide to pull out of Iraq for your own political purposes and are advised not to because the situation is not stabilized perhaps you should listen.

Trump is not the first politician to ignore the advice of military leaders and he won't be the last. That said if pulling out Syria is mistake it won't be anywhere near as big a mistake as the two listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies