Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,000,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
No, life is up to society to decide. We should not trivialize life, whether it be a baby that can live one day or a convict that is facing the death penalty. I am opposed to killing both. Life for the sake of life is worth it and when we trivialize life, we belittle ourselves.
I disagree and insist that the woman has the right to make this decision. Society has nothing to say about it.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,361,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No. All life is not worth living. Sometimes “all we have” is not enough. This is a value judgment for the family to make, not outside interlopers.
I can see we will have to agree to disagree. I disagree with your thinking, just as you disagree with mine. We all face challenges, but life for the sake of life is all we have, indeed. I am not a religious person, so I understand that this life is all there is. A baby, a person, deserves to live and you and I should not be able to determine that we arrogantly can control that.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:19 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,869,481 times
Quote:
I can see we will have to agree to disagree. I disagree with your thinking, just as you disagree with mine. We all face challenges, but life for the sake of life is all we have, indeed. I am not a religious person, so I understand that this life is all there is. A baby, a person, deserves to live and you and I should not be able to determine that we arrogantly can control that.
Those ruled by emotion rather than logic shall always disagree.

What does "deserves" to live even mean?

They "deserve" to live even if they are miserable?
They "deserve" to live even if their existence destroys those around them?

The term deserve is easily tossed around with little thought to its actual (quite ambiguous and subjective) meaning.

In my opinion those who deserve to live are those whose existence promotes the species as a whole, who do no harm by existing, who are beneficial in some quantifiable (not emotional) way and who require no "extra" care to survive.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-19-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,678,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I applaud her brutal honesty.

Who are we to judge others in regards to this.
Well, she could have killed her after birth. After all, "who are we to judge others in regards to this"

Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,361,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post

What does "deserves" to live even mean?

They "deserve" to live even if they are miserable?
They "deserve" to live even if their existence destroys those around them?

The term deserve is easily tossed around with little thought to its actual (quite ambiguous and subjective) meaning.

In my opinion those who deserve to live are those whose existence promotes the species as a whole, who do no harm by existing, who are beneficial in some quantifiable (not emotional) way and who require no "extra" care to survive.
I'd disagree. Life is precious and we all deserve to live and we should not be able to decide that people should die.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,018,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
To murder this baby is just plain sick. Life hands us all very difficult situations to deal with . To believe that the best route was to murder this baby is wrong.
Which "baby" was "murdered", exactly?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:43 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,826,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Not everyone is robotic with no compassion for babies.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
No, life is up to society to decide. We should not trivialize life, whether it be a baby that can live one day or a convict that is facing the death penalty. I am opposed to killing both. Life for the sake of life is worth it and when we trivialize life, we belittle ourselves.

Goodness, I hope you don't have pets who develop severe illness.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Not everyone is robotic with no compassion for babies.
How many babies are you fostering right now?

Old 02-19-2019, 07:46 AM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I am not sure that would be true. Canada allows abortion at any point I believe. Having been to Canada many times, I don’t think they are too different than we are ethically speaking.
Well now I am not sure what you mean. The existing laws on the books in America allow for abortion on demand to a certain point of gestation, correct?
So if we are allowing pregnancies to go full term, then it is well beyond the legal definition of when someone can have one, except in extreme circumstances, correct?

To me the life of the mother would be an obvious reason to have an abortion at any time. However if you have gone that far into the pregnancy, I doubt most people would say any other reason would be justified.

My point was that if we get to the point of allowing human beings to be killed after they are viable, that is a disturbing change, both legally and morally.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies