Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The conclusions is pretty obvious. Just go back to the old law which fully covered the circumstances of non viability and/or risk to the life of the mother.
In your emotion you seemed to have missed the bit where I said; "Will this happen at all, or even often. Probably not".
Oh and no physicians are required for this in NY. Makes you shake your head doesn't it.
The facts don't change. NY now has a law where a mother can choose to terminate the life of a full term healthy baby without the need for a physician to be involved. Who would do that? Not many or no one.
So why the need for the law?
Because the old law did not allow abortions after 24 weeks to preserve a woman’s health or in cases of fetal non-viability, which was inconsistent with Casey which held that in no case may states ban abortions that help preserve the life or health of the mother. https://www.thirteen.org/wnet/suprem...ark_casey.html

And yes, licensed nurse practitioners and physicians assistants can perform abortions, so what? They have to abide by the same ethics standards as a physician.

Once again, my issue with your post is that you seem to believe that there are women out there who will kill healthy babies, and that medical professionals will go along with that and I find that deeply disturbing. We shouldn't need laws regarding what women do with their bodies if we can't trust women to do the right thing, then maybe they should all be locked up and kept under surveillance until they give birth.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, God, the right to lifers will be out in full force on this one. Hang onto your hats.
What kind of hats?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Again anything can be designated "health of the mother". She gets an unexpected promotion at work and can't do it AND take care of a child so she wants a late term abortion, forcing her to hinder her career would be psychologically damaging to her mental health.

or she's 2 weeks from giving birth, even 1 day from giving birth and discovers her husband is cheating on her, the way Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary. She is full of rage and wants to punish her husband by killing their child. Not doing so would cause her mental distress.....remember in the Godfather how Michael Corleone's wife had an abortion and told him she had killed his child out of spite and anger.
Then let's pass a law that calls for locking all women up until they give birth since they are homicidal and want to kill their babies when they get a promotion at work

Old 02-17-2019, 12:14 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The old law did not cover non viability of the fetus. Until this year, it was a crime in NY for an abortion to be performed past 24 weeks unless the mother's life was in immediate danger. NY had outdated laws. This article is great, to read entirely, at explaining NY's old and new law and late-term abortion in general.

A woman highlighted in the article had to travel from NY to CO a few years ago and spend $10k for an abortion at 31 weeks, when she found out her baby had a condition that was incompatible with life. NY clearly did not have the same laws before 2019.
Thanks for that correction, my mistake.

So my solution would be the current law with the exception of the "Health" component. That is the problematic section.

Again, the facts don't change. NY now has a law where a mother can choose to terminate the life of a full term healthy baby without the need for a physician to be involved. Who would do that? Not many or no one.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Again anything can be designated "health of the mother". She gets an unexpected promotion at work and can't do it AND take care of a child so she wants a late term abortion, forcing her to hinder her career would be psychologically damaging to her mental health.

or she's 2 weeks from giving birth, even 1 day from giving birth and discovers her husband is cheating on her, the way Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary. She is full of rage and wants to punish her husband by killing their child. Not doing so would cause her mental distress.....remember in the Godfather how Michael Corleone's wife had an abortion and told him she had killed his child out of spite and anger.
This is a classic slippery slope argument and is misconstruing the actual purpose of the law, which is explained well in the article I shared in my previous post.

These situations are not going to happen. People who think women carrying wanted babies, who did not abort before 24 weeks, will wake up one day at 25, 30, 35, 40 weeks and arbitrarily decide to abort do not understand women or pregnancy. The vast majority of abortions occur in the first trimester. That isn't because most women can't get them in the third due to restrictive state laws, but because no one who really doesn't want a baby is actually going to carry it for that long due to the physical and emotional toll being pregnant takes. If they find out they're pregnant and do not want it, want to abort, they will abort asap. The vast majority of the time, asap is still first trimester. Late-term abortions will always be reserved for extreme, relatively rare (and often very sad) circumstances.

It is just misogynistic to think that a heavily pregnant woman will wake up one day and abort her baby just to spite a man, please. Classic "women (especially pregnant ones) are unstable and crazy" stereotype. And a movie is cited as the example.

From the article I posted btw: "The vast majority of abortions take place in the first trimester. Fewer than ten per cent of abortions occur at fourteen weeks or later, and, according to the Guttmacher Institute, only slightly more than one per cent of abortions are performed at twenty-one weeks or later."

Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Thanks for that correction, my mistake.

So my solution would be the current law with the exception of the "Health" component. That is the problematic section.

Again, the facts don't change. NY now has a law where a mother can choose to terminate the life of a full term healthy baby without the need for a physician to be involved. Who would do that? Not many or no one.

It wasn't some conspiracy to be problematic, it clearly was just intended to expand on the old law to include an exception for non viable fetuses. Your premise that the word "health" is intentionally vague to allow for any arbitrary late term abortion if it can be loosely tied to the mother's "health" was based on your thought that the law was the same prior, but it wasn't. The viability of the fetus was added, a very important add that was lacking before.

Clearly the law simply removed the crime of performing abortion on a woman past 24 weeks (with the exception of immediate danger to her life). I don't have the old law in front of me but I would assume that "health" was added with life because it is more broad, because perhaps a woman's life shouldn't have to just be in immediate danger as the old law required, but her health could be at risk if she carries to term and she doesn't want to take that gamble. It happens, pregnancy is extremely rough on a woman's body, it's not a walk in the park like it's often portrayed and viewed. It can be quite dangerous, and unexpectedly so. It is a law that gives mothers more freedom, but it certainly does not allow for late-term abortions for arbitrary reasons, nor would the vast majority of women opt to abort for such reasons, nor would the vast majority medical professionals be comfortable with it.

You also harp on "no physician being involved," but the law refers you to title 8 of the education code of NY, which defines various professionals in various professions, including medical professionals, and lays out requirement for licensure and other requirements to work in the state. So medical professionals ARE involved, per the statute, maybe not MDs but other professionals are authorized and perfectly capable, there is no real issue with say a PA or NP or even RN advising. It's not like you have random people off the street helping women get abortions, they are in the medical field and likely working in women's healthcare even if they are not MDs. The law says "health care practitioners," "licensed" and whatever else, under title 8.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:46 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No witness to the unreported alleged rape?

She didn't understand why she was sick, and also, apparently, didn't notice she stopped having periods.

Mother doesn't notice her cheer leader daughter is knocked-up?

Doesn't seem like anything associated with this story warranted action until the child was discovered to be damaged goods.

As for the child, she was a person.

We don't euthanize people that suffer brain damage in auto accidents, so why is this different?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/aktion-t4-program
I'm not even going to have the "was it a real rape" conversation with you. Let's talk about the baby, since you don't seem to give a rat's butt about the mother.

Yes. A person. A person who could not see, hear, communicate, regulate her own body temperature, experience a single moment of joy, and who had one illness after another for her year on this earth. A person whose entire existence was one of suffering I can't begin to imagine, and, lacking any portion of a functioning brain but the stem that kept her heart beating, couldn't even understand why she was suffering.

That's not life. That's torture, and people like you think it's just fine because, OMG, abortion.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:54 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
"Her heart could have been stopped when she was warm and safe inside me".

Huh? What twisted rotten perversion this sentence is. Your daughter wouldn't have been 'safe' in your womb if you had killed her.

Leave it to the Soros-financed Huffington Post to come up with this garbage.
Did you ever read how difficult that baby was to care for? She knows a lot more than you can imagine how the baby suffered, too.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How could the mother know how her child would develop?
She did know. Read the article.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not even going to have the "was it a real rape" conversation with you. Let's talk about the baby, since you don't seem to give a rat's butt about the mother.

Yes. A person. A person who could not see, hear, communicate, regulate her own body temperature, experience a single moment of joy, and who had one illness after another for her year on this earth. A person whose entire existence was one of suffering I can't begin to imagine, and, lacking any portion of a functioning brain but the stem that kept her heart beating, couldn't even understand why she was suffering.

That's not life. That's torture, and people like you think it's just fine because, OMG, abortion.

OK, so which condition or combination of conditions would justify killing an auto accident victim with sever brain damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies