Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Sigh.

Dawes roll.
Dawes roll.
Dawes roll.
Dawes roll.
Dawes roll.
Dawes roll.

Looking like something means nothing.
Being something also means nothing.

Warren's crime is deceit and fraud. Her method (claiming Cherokee) is just the apparatus in which to mock her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Being something also means nothing.

Warren's crime is deceit and fraud. Her method (claiming Cherokee) is just the apparatus in which to mock her.
And it is so easily disproven. Her ancestry has been traced. NO INDIANS after 1820. It is doubtful the 1/1024 is even true. The NA part is background noise.

I might be around 1/1024 Creek. I have ancestors in the GA frontier in the late 1700s complete with a mystery female ancestor whose family name does not appear in white records. Ya know what that will get me? Absolutely nothing because it is a maximum of less than 1/10th of 1%.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I have red hair and freckles and I have more Native American ancestry than she does. Difference is I know it isn’t enough to list it down on official documents to try to get the benefits afforded to them.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:46 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
I would imagine the question of "What Makes Someone American Indian?" can be similarly asked in countries with other indigenous populations, like Australia and the Aborigines. I think it is using family lineage, DNA tests when applicable, and tribal citizenship histories that are key.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:39 AM

322 posts, read 707,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
A white person, black person, Asian, "Latino" etc. can marry into the Cherokee nation and become a member.
This is completely untrue and spoken from a place of ignorance that needs to be swiftly addressed. In order to be a "member" of a federally recognized tribe, *lineage* needs to be documented to the appropriate rolls to obtain a certified degree of Indian blood issued by the IBA. This states your "tribal" connection to a tribe(s). Only then can they go through the enrollment process with the tribe. Most tribes, enrollment is closed and open for only children under the age of 18.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:03 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Warren lied, a Native American somewhere was denied an opportunity because of her lie.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:46 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Another angry far leftist activist that spent years in higher education was Ward Churchill. He too claimed to be NA (with varying degrees of "purity" over the years) , but was denounced by the actual NA tribes he claimed he belonged to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Churchill

Last edited by snebarekim; 02-29-2020 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Throughout most of Trump’s adult life he claimed to be Swedish based on his family’s oral history. He claimed so in print in the Art of the Deal.

His father made it up because being German did not go over well with Jewish immigrant tenants living in his tenement apartments.

There are reasons to like or dislike Warren. A belief in her family’s oral history is not one of them.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:20 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
[quote=Eumaois;54464982]I would imagine the question of "What Makes Someone American Indian?" can be similarly asked in countries with other indigenous populations, like Australia and the Aborigines. I think it is using family lineage, DNA tests when applicable, and tribal citizenship histories that are key.[/QUOT

The terminology Native AMERICAN is wrong. Indigenous Peoples is more accurate. DIL did her DNA and was shocked to get 15% Native American. Her family did not come to the States from Puerto Rico until the 1950's, and never left NYC.

Indigenous Peoples (Taino Tribe) of Puerto Rico; similar to what you said about Australian Aborigines.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:25 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
To me the most curious aspect of the fakeahontas saga is/was her efforts to subordinate herself to the 'tribal elders'. She would say that only the Tribal Elders can say whether or not someone is native american. This may in fact be true from some legal standpoint (I assume it is even though I don't know the law here), but it is a ridiculous state of affairs. Current inexpensive DNA testing can provide an accurate and precise calculation of how much native american DNA you have, that should be the sole metric for claiming native american heritage. Her affirmation of the power of Tribal Elders in this regard shows that both EW and Tribal Elders understand the power that being an "oppressed minority" conveys upon not only the holder, but also the grantor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies