Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

Trump should not have ignored the health care issue. Dismantling ACA is going to leave many uninsured and uninsurable, it will have an effect. Most Americans want at least a basic safety net. Yet starting this year poor people are being kicked off of Medicaid, their only lifeline to healthcare other than going back to use the ER. When we have another recession we are screwed without any safety net as people lose jobs and health insurance.

Some states are doing the right thing and keeping a system in place at least for the poor, but this is a patchwork win/lose, life/death, based on what state border you cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you can blame that on the unions themselves, as they are the ones that have priced themselves out of the labor markets, for the most part. you want union labor in this country with all the attendant perks that go along with it, but then you buy crap from china, vietnam, india, mexico, and every other country with low labor costs, and then complain that you dont have a job making things anymore.

if you want american products, then buy only american products. buy an american TV instead of one from china, oh wait its nerly impossible to find american made tvs. ok then buy only american made computers. oh wait those are made in china as well for the most part.

its your precious unions that caused labor rates to skyrocket, and forced american companies to relocate their manufacturing overseas. and it doesnt help when government keeps adding on regulations that cost businesses money in huge amounts. which is why the economy took off when trump started cutting regulations across the board.

As I may have mentioned earlier, there has been a concerted effort to destroy American unions. Your writings indicate that you've been well conditioned by those forces.

Can you recommend an American TV brand?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Trump should not have ignored the health care issue. Dismantling ACA is going to leave many uninsured and uninsurable, it will have an effect. Most Americans want at least a basic safety net. Yet starting this year poor people are being kicked off of Medicaid, their only lifeline to healthcare other than going back to use the ER. When we have another recession we are screwed without any safety net as people lose jobs and health insurance.

Some states are doing the right thing and keeping a system in place at least for the poor, but this is a patchwork win/lose, life/death, based on what state border you cross.

I admire your ability to accurately sort through the propaganda to find the truth. Thanks for the new information.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Up until recent years union membership in the private sector comprised 33%. The rest of the private sector attempted to keep up so that they wouldn't lose their best to union shops. Globalization and a determined effort by private sector owners to rid themselves of unions brought private sector unions below 10%. Benefits eroded with the decline in union membership.

Almost all of Europe enjoys 20 days of vacation or more, a dozen holidays, paid family leave, paid sick leave, pensions,and other benefits. Yes, America is exceptional. now that the unions have been knocked on their heels, we have nothing. Most of us can't afford to retire. It's not something to be proud of.
Not sure what your rambling has to do with my comment. If you hate it, why not leave?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Over 60% of Americans want Medicare for all. Hopefully, this means something. Medicare for All: Chart of Americans Support

Nobody can afford our for-profit healthcare system anymore, even if we are forced into it by gunpoint mandates like Obamacare. We can no longer afford to be a profit center for drug companies and medical equipment. We have to move forward, or we will go backward.

We are either going to find a real solution or we are going to continue to slip down in ratings as a country. Already a third of our country rates along side of 3rd world companions. I thought we were making America great, not making America poor and sick.

O.P., scaring people won't work anymore. We need an affordable solution, and I do believe we will vote for it in masses come 2020.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Over 60% of Americans want Medicare for all. Hopefully, this means something. Medicare for All: Chart of Americans Support

Nobody can afford our for-profit healthcare system anymore, even if we are forced into it by gunpoint mandates like Obamacare. We can no longer afford to be a profit center for drug companies and medical equipment. We have to move forward, or we will go backward.

We are either going to find a real solution or we are going to continue to slip down in ratings as a country. Already a third of our country rates along side of 3rd world companions. I thought we were making America great, not making America poor and sick.

O.P., scaring people won't work anymore. We need an affordable solution, and I do believe we will vote for it in masses come 2020.
i can guarantee most of those people i have no idea what it would cost

Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Like I've said 10000000000000 times: if you really want a canadian or european style welfare state - please move there. You will have much better luck than trying to turn the US into that.
The majority of Americans want this, if it doesn't come to be it will be because of lobbyists, but it's not because America doesn't want to progress to a non-profit healthcare system for all. America is a young country, a baby really. If we cannot progress to adulthood we will fail.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Not sure what your rambling has to do with my comment. If you hate it, why not leave?

I could leave but my family is here and I'm now too old.
If I remember your your post, it says "maybe America does it different". It seems to me that Europe does it better, and many Americans would like to see America more responsive to Americans.
Many Americans would like to see better health care, benefits by law, but to people who see my earlier post as a rant, I'm just farting in a wind storm.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...e-obesity-laws

39% of American adults are obese according to the CDC, while only 3% of Japanese are obese.

They could likely have "Medicare for All" but healthcare rationing would be a reality, physicians and nurses would have to take massive paycuts to the point it would be a volunteer position almost with a small stipend and obesity rates would have to go way down with massive amounts of food policing that most processed food manufacturing companies would not agree to.

Another reason why Medicare for all won't work is because the American diet is toxic. I went out to eat for the first time in a very long time and I have to say I could feel the difference after what I typical make for my meals.

Democrats Medicare for All will bankrupt the country if they implement it without policies to police the American food supply to get the obesity rates down to Japan or South Korea levels.

Most Americans, including myself would not want food police dictating what we can and can not eat.

Medicare for All would also require massive amounts of health-care rationing which a vast majority of American's would not approve.

Doctors, nurses and surgeons would have to have massive pay cuts also which would never happen. Doctors in Hungary only make about 700 dollars a month.

Nurses, doctors and surgeons would have to nearly volunteer their skills with paychecks a fraction of what they make now if the Democrats successfully implemented "Medicare for All"

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

https://mic.com/articles/84521/japan...ica#.WcHsLqsOc
What is considered "obese" or "fat" in Japan can be considered "thin", "average", or "normal" weight in America, depending on the conditions.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Like I've said 10000000000000 times: if you really want a canadian or european style welfare state - please move there. You will have much better luck than trying to turn the US into that.

This is not 100 years ago. Europe doesn't want us back. I'm one of a few Americans who has the right to move back to Europe but I won't abandon my family, I don't speak fluent Italian, and I'm getting too old to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies