Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:32 AM

19,399 posts, read 12,053,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Or we could examine our food supply and cost of vegetables due to reduction in production to accommodate corn grown for filler, fuel, and sugar.

We could change what we subsidize in the farm bill to push production and cost of fresh vegetables and fruits instead of soy bean and corn.

We could examine the impact of removing physical education in school and exercise or national fitness rates.

We could increase access to nutritionist and dietitians, currently most do not see someone for their diet until diagnosed with a disease such as diabetes or heart failure.

We could do a lot of things, but we choose to do nothing, stay sedentary, and complain that no one is getting off their big butts.

Leaky roofs don't fix themselves, neither will a national health emergency.
Phys ed? Parents would get their kids out of gym class because it hurt their self esteem. So why bother.

Yep, I had gym class and "home ec", where we did learn about nutrition and cooking from scratch. Learned how to budget for a household too. Also Health class (not the sex ed part) but learning about actual health and hygiene. I remember we had to record everything we ate for a week and read it to the class. I realized I was eating too much ice cream.

It was practical stuff that everyone should learn. Then that went out of fashion and kids started getting apathetic and fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Phys ed? Parents would get their kids out of gym class because it hurt their self esteem. So why bother.
No they don't. You take a story pushed by some click bait sight as gospel for the country as a whole. You should know better.

Quote:
Yep, I had gym class and "home ec", where we did learn about nutrition and cooking from scratch.
My daughter still has both. She has eggs over easy down to a science.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 AM

26,941 posts, read 13,180,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Why don't you buy good quality food now? It's not like it doesn't exist.

From an analysis of crazy Bernie's medicare plan.

https://www.mercatus.org/publication...lthcare-system

What makes you think the government is capable of running such a massive program when they have proven they can't even run the VA?

Here's how the British version of "Medicare for all" is working.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2016/09/04/british-government-hospitals-to-ban-smokers-the-obese-from-surgery-due-to-budget-constraints/#224c6d803b99

https://www.dailywire.com/news/14470...-aaron-bandler
Actually the Liverpool Pathway was done away with a long time ago, most cancer treatments are available on the NHS or an alternative treatment is available where a treatment has not yet been evaluated.

UK end-of-life care 'best in world' - BBC News

The NHS has a much improved cancer survival rates, and is investing even more in treatments and research.

Cancer survival statistics | Cancer Research UK

Care Quality Commission

As for dying following surgery, that report was heavily criticised for being misleading and in relation to the fact that figures are collected differently in the US.

Comparisons between the countries were difficult. One potential error can lie in the way hospitals in the two countries code their treatments.

Ben Dean, a doctor in Oxford, sent a tweet saying: "In the UK many people with underlying diagnosis of cancer are coded as 'pneumonia' or 'sepsis' death, while in US this doesn't happen."

There is an additional issue that could affect the UK-US comparisons. In America people with insurance are often discharged to die at home or in a hospice as it is less expensive for the insurer. US hospital mortality data would not capture these cases.

Nick Black, professor of health services research at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, was hired by the NHS to devise a new measure. He described death rates as a nonsense.

The UK is also not held hostage by drug companies, as it can bypass drugs companies that are seen as being unreeasonable and extortionate in their demands in order to protect the patients and taxpayers, it's known as Crown Use, and is something that is being discussed in relation to Cystic Fybrosis drug Orkambi, which most countries are having trouble affording whilst the pharma company who have bought patents make a vast profit. The UK Govverment offered a record £500 million over five years for Orkambi which they rejected, however if Parliament deem the drug Crown Use, the don't have to pay the greddy pharma company a penny.

I think you will find this is the opposite to insurance company small print and so called iodtic terms such as death panels.

That's the real difference, the UK Government and NHS have a strong negotiating hand, unlike the US which doesn't have a national systems with individual hospital groups having to negotiate seperateply with pharma companies.

Help NHS obtain cystic fibrosis drug, ministers urged | Science | The Guardian

Campaigners urge NHS to ignore patents on Vertex's CF drug

It also should be noted that you can take out private health insurance in the UK, indeed it's fairly cheap for young people but becomes ever more expensve the more elderly you become. Furthermore only 10% of people take out or have private health insurance as part of their job in the UK, a figure that has not changed much over the decades.

Best UK Health Insurance 2019

The NHS: even more cherished than the monarchy and the army - The New Statesman

In terms of Sanders camaign they posted this video last year about the NHS.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-18-2019 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,589,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is my understanding regarding the Medicare for All proponents. They just want free stuff, paid for by others.

The Urban Institute (left-wing think tank) has analyzed the extra cost to the Fed Gov for Medicare for All (in addition to what the Fed Gov already spends on health care) at $3.2 trillion/year ($32 trillion over 10 years). How will that be funded? Total federal tax revenue is currently $3.4 trillion/year. So where does that extra $3.2 trillion/year to fund Medicare for All come from?

Tax income over $10 million at 70%, as AOC suggests? Only 16,000 1040 filers earn over $10 million. Tax experts consulted by the Washington Post say that a 70% tax on income over $10 million could theoretically bring in an additional $72 billion per year in taxes.

Oops! We'd still be short $3.128 trillion/year to pay for Medicare for All. Now what?
We are already short many TRILLIONS of dollars to pay for! We've know that since the 1990's. At 10K per person per year, do you think we can afford what we have now? (that's 40K for a family of four...where do they get it?).....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._cost_rise.svg

and this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_country.svg

If we spent what others spent and covered everyone - we'd have better lives, no debt or deficit and longer lives. But you don't want that. So you are crowing about dollars we are already spending.....which go to waste and corporate profits.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,589,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

It was practical stuff that everyone should learn. Then that went out of fashion and kids started getting apathetic and fat.
You forgot the part about both parents having to work forever, lack of pensions and security for later...etc....which obviously doesn't give parents and children as much time together as previously.

There are so many canaries that have singing for decades. This country used to have a number of small businesses that made boats - boats for the middle class. Sailboats, cruisers, etc.

No more. The average family doesn't have the money for even a shack on a lake, etc. and they surely don't have the time for boating.

We get what we ask for. Any solution in the USA must entail more costs and spending. An unfit population keeps the Medical Establishment purring...let alone the fast food sector, the cattle industry, etc.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM

46,834 posts, read 25,751,383 times
Why is is that the rest of the civilized world can run universal healthcare systems without obesity laws and and bans on extreme sports? Are Americans just too stupid? Or is the Washington Examiner out to scare you?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM

13,773 posts, read 5,502,312 times
Eventual reality with Mediwelfare for all:

Winston's morning exercise

Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 AM

29,965 posts, read 18,525,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There was a time back when mechanical transportation was crowding the horse and buggy market that the public was warned that the human body could not survive speeds over 35 miles per hour. Fear tactics will not stop the inevitable.

The Washington Examiner, BTW, is on par with the National Enquirer as a news source - a tabloid always good for a laugh, but never to be taken seriously.

If there is "medicare for all", as a physician, I will have to quit practicing, as my practice would go bankrupt. I could simply do legal work, which I do already, and still be employed in a capacity as a physician, but not practicing clinically. Currently I can make more money working two weekends a month doing legal work than I can full time at my practice.

As I am approaching medicare age, I am conflicted about medicare. I know that physicians and hospitals put medicare patients "behind" commercial insurance; I have a few medical problems for which I want to be "first in line" and will thus never go on medicare. With better paying commercial insurance, I am assured of getting better treatment.

The problem with the commercial insurance is that I am uninsureable, due to previous conditions, such that I cannot buy a commercial policy on my own and must be employed by a larger group.

I think some form of universal healthcare would be nice for patients, but I personally would want private insurance as well to get better care.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:52 AM

19,399 posts, read 12,053,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they don't. You take a story pushed by some click bait sight as gospel for the country as a whole. You should know better.

My daughter still has both. She has eggs over easy down to a science.
I swear, the gym thing used to happen at our high school. More than once. The kids who didn't want to go would get notes from their shrinks to excuse them, they would get to go sit somewhere and veg out.

Glad they did not get rid of home ec classes (not sure if they still call it that) everywhere but many schools have none of that anymore, no phys ed, no vocational courses.

Need healthy minded kids with practical thinking and skills, so many don't have it anymore.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM

46,834 posts, read 25,751,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Eventual reality with Mediwelfare for all...
I just had to ask, didn't I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies