Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:01 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I didn't see the movie, so maybe I am missing your point. Do you think people should not be able to wear political hats, have bumper stickers, etc. without fear of some type of attack?

`
I think his point was that the tattoo itself was making a fairly far reaching statement that transmitted a message that made it that no words needed to be spoken, and that the character knew that when he got the tattoo.

Even with abhorrent content, from a quality of performance perspective, you might want to see that movie someday. Edward Norton was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor for his role and, IMO, he was robbed...he should have won (Roberto Benigni won for Life Is Beautiful, beating out Sir Ian McKellen for Gods and Monsters, Tom Hanks for Saving Private Ryan, Nick Nolte for Affliction, and Edward Norton for American History X).

Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I said one way to eradicate hatred is through education. Do you have other ideas you'd like to share? I don't believe in violence (even if my words are violent). Again, there are certain ideologies that are not compatible with a fair and just society. Since nobody here is actually saying they do NOT support the hatred spewed by the people wearing this hat, I can only conclude that you indeed believe slogans like, "Jew will not replace us." Is this not a troubling statement or do you all agree with it?

Anyway, to the poster that thinks I am not over Hillary. HUH??? That was over 2 years ago. If it weren't for AOC, the right wing here would still be droning on and on about her. Everyone else has moved on but people like you keep bringing her up for some reason.
I just went to look at the pictures from that night. The tiki torch guys aren’t wearing MAGA hats.

That is connection that only exists in your mind. Maybe someone with a political objective put it there for you, or maybe you put it there yourself.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:10 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
No, there are certain ideologies that are incompatible with a decent and just society. MAGA hats are more than hats, they are symbols of a cancer that must be removed from society. Education is one positive thing we can use to kill this cancer from spreading. Anyone have other ideas?
wow.
therapy is way too late for this one.
maybe industrial-strength sedatives?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:17 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Hell, it's the reason I've never put a campaign bumper sticker on my car, or worn any politcal clothing. I'm not a hypocrite after all
I haven't either...except maybe only inside a ballroom at a couple of victory parties 30+ years ago. No matter how one feels, IMO, it isn't worth the hassle.

The only thing I've seen in my area since Trump got elected is some middle aged people (and late teens -- early 20's people...both without their parents) wearing old, saved, over 35 year old Reagan/Bush t-shirts...but then my house is in one of the most Republican counties in Texas (going back many decades), and the only county in the country where Trump beat Hillary by more than 100,000 votes (Montgomery County). Bush 41's Presidential Library is a little over an hour away.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:39 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Kind of like the right attacked Ahmed Mohamed or "Clock Boy" as you all called him. Or, what about the survivors of Parkland?
No, nothing like that at all. That kid actually did something wrong (staging a fake anti-Muslim incident), and no one "attacked" him face to face.

And NO ONE attacked Parkland survivors.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
he will soon be an 'analyst' on CNN!

Old 02-18-2019, 01:48 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
I wonder if Chicago police have interrogated this 14-year-old in relation to the attack on the Empire actor.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:51 PM

234 posts, read 161,928 times
I work with kids 13-17 years old during the summer, and although I can't stand Trump or his policies, I'd never ever cuss a kid out or any other adult customer for that matter. Especially at a place of business. Even though I don't agree with them, it is their right to wear/believe what they want. It was right of Vans to fire the guy. End of story

Old 02-18-2019, 01:55 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
I said one way to eradicate hatred is through education.
That is silly. The way to eliminate hatred is separation, not education. You and I should not be living in the same society.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:55 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I think his point was that the tattoo itself was making a fairly far reaching statement that transmitted a message that made it that no words needed to be spoken, and that the character knew that when he got the tattoo.

Even with abhorrent content, from a quality of performance perspective, you might want to see that movie someday. Edward Norton was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor for his role and, IMO, he was robbed...he should have won (Roberto Benigni won for Life Is Beautiful, beating out Sir Ian McKellen for Gods and Monsters, Tom Hanks for Saving Private Ryan, Nick Nolte for Affliction, and Edward Norton for American History X).
Are you agreeing with the equivalence of the MAGA hat and the tattoo then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies