U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,901,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Many people throughout the history of mankind have rewrote the Bible to suit their own needs. Ever heard of Henry the 8th? If you are a Christian but not Roman Catholic, you are indeed practising a religion that was rewritten by a man so he could divorce his wife who could bear sons. Catholicism has also been rewritten and changed throughout time.
I say that there is plenty of stuff in the Bible that is utter crap. If you are a woman, I want pictures of you barefoot and pregnant in your kitchen. If you are a man I want to see your wife. I'm not being a stalker, I just want to know that you are following your religion before you use it as a reason for supporting a corrupt, terroristic, and expansionist nation. For that matter, what type of material are you wearing right now? If it is not full cotton, you are a sinner. What have you eaten lately? Any pork? Is so, you win again, you have sinned. Get the drift?
Careful with the generalizations and claims there Kiru. Henry VIII did no rewrite of the Bible, but he did break with the Roman Catholic Church for refusing him a divorce from Catherine of Aragon who was related to the Holy Roman Emperor and the King of Spain, both Catholic monarchs with great power and active armies in Europe. The decision was clearly politically motivated on the part of the Pope at that time (fear of angering the two most powerful monarchs in Europe), and mostly political and convenient for Henry VIII as the Catholic monasteries in England collected money the King wanted and interfered with the running of the country by taking the Pope as first authority over the King. Breaking with Rome involved no rewrite of the Holy Bible, Henry simply confiscated and looted all Catholic monasteries and church properties and declared himself Head of the Church of England which in actuality still follows a mostly Catholic liturgy, though calling itself protestant. Any study of the Papacy at that time and through most of its existence will show that although it was outwardly a religious institution, it functioned as a power broker and political entity, a function it still attempts to do. The Pope had standing armies and because the common peasant was illiterate, could depend on manipulating the peasants through its priests to support him and call it "God's Will". During this time period, the late Middle Ages, the Church, in an effort to raise cash and also more control over European politics, introduced the concept of erasing sin through "indulgences" where the sinner paid the church for indulgences which supposedly erased his sin. It was wholly political and manipulative with its fingers in every money pot in Europe and the ever present threat of excommunication to those who dared to oppose it-social stigma. Henry VIII was excommunicated and later so was Queen Elizabeth I. As you can see by reading history...they weren't particularly concerned and eventually because of England's rising power and their inability (Spanish Armada) to defeat her, they had to accept a break in the Catholic power monopoly.
Most churches which call themselves Protestant are based on a reawakening and reaffirmation of the authority of Scriptures over priests led by Martin Luther during the Reformation. The thing that makes them "protestant" isn't what Henry VIII did, but removing the priesthood from between God and man and treating the scriptures themselves as the only authority with Jesus recognized as the sole Savior and redemption possible only by grace through faith. That differentiates protestantism from Catholicism.
Also, if you study Christianity, the prohibition against certain foods and cloths was in pre-Christ times when the Israelites lived under strict food, clothing, religious, and behavioral codes. The Jewish religion was/is legalistic and depended on following the letter of the law as outlined in the Torah, or Abrahamic Code. That's why the nation had an annual sacrifice in the Temple and the priesthood was so precise in its actions. It had to follow the exact legal standards to a 't', or be invalid. No error was tolerated, and still isn't for example with Hasaidic/Orthodox Jews who will toss a copied Torah if there is the slightest error. It must be perfect on the first attempt, or it is destroyed. (Now you know why God trusted the Jews with protecting the Scriptures!). Christians believe God was making a point to the Israelites, that even if they followed the law, they could not humanly do it. Only Jesus managed. And Christians further believe that when Jesus died on the Cross, He fulfilled in Himself the penalty of death for sin forever, and that the old Abrahamic laws were no longer applicable because with the coming of God as man and then His sacrifice paying for mankind's sins, we moved to the Age of Grace based on faith. Christianity is not under the Abrahamic Code. That's why a Christian may eat pork, clams, cloven-hooved animals, non-kosher food, etc.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-19-2006 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,901,655 times
One other point too about the accuracy of the Scriptures. Although one may not believe them or may question them, the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls offers an almost complete biblical inventory and no significant changes have been found in these original texts written in ancient Hebrew versus the copies we use today.
They were written very near the lifetime of Jesus Himself and within the lifetimes of the Apostles and have proven to be dated to about the year 100AD.
One example is the "Isaiah Scroll". It's 23 ft. long and made of leather (remember they used scrolls then) and is a complete copy of the Book of Isaiah and completely accurate to the King James version of the Bible as presented to us today in modern English. Even without the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, comparing the later Greek texts which are still ancient (but not as old as the Hebrew versions found in the Dead Sea caves in jars)against the DSS's and which modern translations of the Bible are based on, show little to no change in text.
It is true that the Catholic Church accepts the Apocrypha as extra-Cannonical books, but these books are not accepted as original Scripture or included in the Old or New Testament.
The Catholic Church adds Church Tradition to equality with the Scriptures, so perhaps that is what was meant by the "religion being rewritten by man". Or maybe the Mormons adding "revealed" scripture in the Book of Mormon, or other sects which claim to be Christian and veer away from the sole authority of the Holy Bible...dunno. Whatever was meant, the Bible itself has remained uncannily pure to its original texts for 2000 years, since the days of the apostles who wrote the New Testament.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-19-2006 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 AM

327 posts, read 173,837 times
Thank you, MoMark, for writing in great detail what I was thinking! You da man!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM

211 posts, read 219,612 times
Quote:
Yes. In fact, I am in support of returning the US to the Native Americans, also known as the REAL Americans.
Yeah, just imagine how advanced this country would be if we suddenly plunged 4,000 years into the past.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,366 times
Quote:
Yes. In fact, I am in support of returning the US to the Native Americans, also known as the REAL Americans.
That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Well, I'm 1/8th Native, so what does that get me? That 1/8th is Cherokee and French Canadian Indian, so does that mean I get a small claim in Canada as well?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:45 PM

112 posts, read 51,250 times
Like it or not Israel will always be part of the USA. Just like the USA I will be willing to die for Israel and I know I'm not alone.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:01 PM

211 posts, read 219,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
Like it or not Israel will always be part of the USA. Just like the USA I will be willing to die for Israel and I know I'm not alone.
What other countries are you willing to die for and what makes Israel so special? Israel is certainly not part of the United States and many Americans are getting fed up with virtually doing whatever Israel tells us to do.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
What other countries are you willing to die for and what makes Israel so special? Israel is certainly not part of the United States and many Americans are getting fed up with virtually doing whatever Israel tells us to do.
Your numbers are small!! Sorry you feel that way.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
One other point too about the accuracy of the Scriptures. Although one may not believe them or may question them, the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls offers an almost complete biblical inventory and no significant changes have been found in these original texts written in ancient Hebrew versus the copies we use today.
They were written very near the lifetime of Jesus Himself and within the lifetimes of the Apostles and have proven to be dated to about the year 100AD.
One example is the "Isaiah Scroll". It's 23 ft. long and made of leather (remember they used scrolls then) and is a complete copy of the Book of Isaiah and completely accurate to the King James version of the Bible as presented to us today in modern English. Even without the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, comparing the later Greek texts which are still ancient (but not as old as the Hebrew versions found in the Dead Sea caves in jars)against the DSS's and which modern translations of the Bible are based on, show little to no change in text.
It is true that the Catholic Church accepts the Apocrypha as extra-Cannonical books, but these books are not accepted as original Scripture or included in the Old or New Testament.
The Catholic Church adds Church Tradition to equality with the Scriptures, so perhaps that is what was meant by the "religion being rewritten by man". Or maybe the Mormons adding "revealed" scripture in the Book of Mormon, or other sects which claim to be Christian and veer away from the sole authority of the Holy Bible...dunno. Whatever was meant, the Bible itself has remained uncannily pure to its original texts for 2000 years, since the days of the apostles who wrote the New Testament.

Great post!!! I am in total agreement.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 PM

421 posts, read 243,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
Your numbers are small!! Sorry you feel that way.

I agree the numbers are small but their are a few kooks mainly KKK types. It's very disturbing, it's almost like they are trying to fan a flame for another holocaust because they deny the previous one existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or