U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM

211 posts, read 219,327 times

Advertisements

Israel is the largest recipient of foreign aid.

Their population is approximately seven million and their living standard is comparable to Western Europe (ie: A First World Country).

They currently occupy the West Bank and control Gaza. They make huge settlements in the West Bank in hope of eventually displacing the Palestinians and becoming a majority in that region.

So, Israel is a first world nation with a small population but receives the most US Aid.

According to this chart: http://shelby.senate.gov/legislation/ForeignAid.pdf (broken link)

The Second biggest recipient of foreign aid is Egypt, an impoverished nation of almost 80 million.

Israel: 7 million, First World Living Standard.
Egypt: 77 Million, Third World Living Standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 01:34 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,896,703 times
China has 1,400,000,000 people, most of whom live in poverty. Should we be giving them the foreign aide instead?
I'm not sure I see what you're getting at...though I have an inkling that what you're trying to say is something you don't want to openly say...is that right?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:38 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,000,415 times
Israel should have our support and continue getting our support enough said!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Israel should have our support and continue getting our support enough said!
Why? Is there a reason? It wasn't exactly an answer to the question either.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:48 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,000,415 times
Your question was should Israel be the largest recipient of foreign aid...

My response is they should get our support and continue getting our support...

I really do not want to get into my beliefs on this forum about the way the Palestinians became the front line for other Terrorist states but I think you get the point.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:47 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,468,746 times
Here's an excellent link to the whys, hows, and where's of foreign aid.

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp

If you have some time and look deeply enough your question is answered in spades

Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,896,703 times
TNlove in his drive to smear Israel conveniently fails to mention that of the $2.6 billion U.S. that comprises U.S. foreign aide to Israel, only about $240 million goes for economic purposes, or approximately 1/9 of the total received. The rest is military assistance and cash which the U.S. gives Israel and which Israel then uses to purchase American weaponry. What this has to do with Egypt's impoverished 80 million I have no idea, but it sure sounds like an issue until one checks the facts and sees the author of this thread conveniently bases his argument on a surface fact, omits the pertinent factors in it, and fails to tell the actual story!
Now one could also open a debate and say that military aide to the tune of approx. $2.3 billion U.S. is not fair to U.S. taxpayers and make an argument for or against that and one could have a valid thread, but when one uses the figure to mislead to support another statement (in this case the false economic one), then it points to the author as being either a firestarter using false facts to manipulate debate, or to that person's ignorance of what is actually happening and drawing false conclusions based on incorrect assumptions. In this case, it's grasping to support anti-Semitic views which pepper nearly ever comment made by this person.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-17-2006 at 07:11 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
but it sure sounds like an issue until one checks the facts and sees the author of this thread conveniently bases his argument on a false fact and fails to tell the actual story!
What false fact have I based my post on? I cited and sourced by statements above, there are no "false facts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
In this case, it's grasping to support anti-Semetic views which pepper nearly ever comment made by this person.
You continue this slander yet refuse to back it up -- as you do with most of your statements. If you're going to call me an Anti-Semite for criticizing Israel, pull out some quotes, or otherwise you're just a baffon who can't debate properly without pulling out insults to make up for your shortcomings.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:50 PM

481 posts, read 808,463 times
Default Sorry for the LONG post

I, too, feel that Israel is not deserving of aid, but I believe it will be a very long time before anything on that front changes. I don't believe they need that money and I do, in fact, believe we only pay them for 1 reason: to maintain our foothold in a "loyal" West-friendly nation in the Middle East. We all know Israel would soon cease to exist without sustained support from the US.

Now, to address one person's remark as to Israel having to fight off the Palestinian "front of terrorism", you should consider the fact that that land was for a long period of time under the control of Arabs. In fact, the land belonged to the Arabs way back in time to the Roman Empire and before. Then, the United Nations steps in and says to the Arabs, "Hey! We took your land away from you through our Imperialism and now we're going to split it in half and give one half to your bitter enemies, the Jews. And you have to like it because the rest of the world feels guilty over that whole Holocaust thing. Sorry, but can't we all get along?"

Well, like any group of people who consider themselves the rightful owners and residents of a piece of land, the Arabs fought and still are fighting for their country to be returned to them. And, in the process, they are walled up into a giant concentration camp aka the Gaza strip. They're bombed without provocation on their beaches by, according to a CIA analyst, Israeli missiles during "PEACETIME", and then are blamed for the actions of Israel.

They are forced every day to either sit back and do nothing, allowing the Israelis to lord over them and hope the world will help them, or to fight and then suffer the label of terrorists. They're fighting for their right to have their own country back! In this way they are very similar to the tactics used by American Reolutionaries. They are using guerilla tactics to accomplish their goals just as we did.

Now I do not necessarily agree with how they go about things, but I know that if Darfur can rage for 3+ years with nothing happening, world reaction-wise, then it would be pointless, and fatal, to sit back and hope for some nation to help them out. They are doing what they feel is their only choice. The rest of the world is just angry they won't just sit down, shut up, and be subjugated like good little inferior Arabs. It's funny, we were "freedom fighters" and they're "terrorists."

Now, I'm not saying that every terrorist group is fighting the good fight. I am merely protesting the use of the word terrorists to describe Palestinians. And before anyone posts back about the Native Americans in the US, I'll tell you that I don't believe the actions of the Pilgrims were correct or moral.

Now, let us examine Israel and it's actions. Let's look at, say, Lebanon. Hm. Interesting. Lebanon: a government which is a religiously based Democratic nation (I think it's called confessionalism?). This past "conflict" (read act of war) by Israel is a good example of the tyranny and rampant Imperialism by Israel. Hezbollah, a terrorist group (not like Palestinians), fired on Israeli MILITARY positions and then captured two soldiers. Now, how does Israel respond? Does it respond like a civilized nation? Or does it follow in ol' Dubya's shoes?

For shame, for shame, it chose the latter option. Israel promptly moves in the troops and, rather than working with the Lebanese to capture Hezbollah, proceed to yet again level Lebanon. Flashback to 1982, much? Oh yea, did I mention they targeted CIVILIAN areas? 1,400 people dead, most of whom were Lebanese, and 900,000 internally displaced Lebanese persons. Sounds to me like this whole affair was an attack on Lebanon and not Hezbollah.

Oh yea, and the southern part of Lebanon? UNINHABITABLE due to the cluster bombs the Israelis conveniently left behind. A mistake? Or an attempt to gain more "lebensraum", German for living space and the excuse Hitler made for the invasion of, well, everything? You decide.

Of course, the whole thing dragged on and in the process Bush used the whole thing as a way to slander more Arab nations. I think it's pretty clear that today, the US uses Israel as a foothold and uses Israels actions as a way to influence the Middle East and US opinion. Israel uses us for money and weapons and as a protector. It's a feedback loop.

And just to be clear, being Anti-Israel is not the same as being Anti-Semitic. If someone were Anti-American, are they Anti-White? Black? Hispanic? Race/religious persuasion does and should NOT have anything to do with opposing politcal actions. I mean to upset no one with my words, only to express my opinion as we yet still can in this nation. I look forward to your responses.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,537,131 times
I think we should be worrying about replentishing out military planes and troops first before giving out foreign aid to ANYONE.

Our tanks are getting blown up and damaged faster than they can be repaired, our aircraft fleet is aging and we STILL cannot afford to fully fund the Joint Strike Fighter - which is ESSENTIAL to our nation's air superiority and our workhorse F-16 fighter fleet is aging and other nations like Singapore and Israel have the latest and greatest while the majority of our 16's were built in the 1980s and 90's. Our planes are aging, our troops are tired and morale is low. Send over some of that $$ to defense spending and raise those 18 year old army boy's salaries a bit while you are at it. Stop paying them poverty level salaries for risking their lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or