Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

The royal family is supposed to stay out of politics. She is not allowed to voice any political opinions anymore. She thinks the tutors are too male and too white--well, too bad.

She's going to lose favor in the UK if she keeps up with nonsense like this. People need to be hired by merit not by being male or female, not by the color or their skin. If she had wanted to stand up for politics, she never should have married into the royal family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
She never said ANY of that.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 PM

She reportedly said “Oh my God” when shown figures showing that UK professors were mainly white men.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ation-14013503

I assume the UK still hires according to merit and not by skin color or male or female. And that's the way it should be. As a woman, I still think the most qualified person should be hired and by hiring according to quotas is responsible for the dumbing down of our system. We can't hire the most qualified. It is not racist to hire the most qualified and it's the smartest way to go.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How daft can one be? How many sources do you require?
One would be enough, if it actually quoted her. But the best poor Absolom can do are cites that she was reported to say "Oh my God".

Sources are good. Sources that support your stance are better.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
She reportedly said “Oh my God” when shown figures showing that UK professors were mainly white men.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ation-14013503

I assume the UK still hires according to merit and not by skin color or male or female. And that's the way it should be. As a woman, I still think the most qualified person should be hired and by hiring according to quotas is responsible for the dumbing down of our system. We can't hire the most qualified. It is not racist to hire the most qualified and it's the smartest way to go.
We can’t hire the most qualified in this country, huh?

So you weren’t the best qualified candidate for YOUR job, huh? They only hired you because you’re a woman?

Do you feel guilty about that?

Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
who cares what she says other than she is a once divorced gold digger Canadian B-Actress

then again as Canadian my view on Royals may be diffrent

Old 02-20-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We can’t hire the most qualified in this country, huh?

So you weren’t the best qualified candidate for YOUR job, huh? They only hired you because you’re a woman?

Do you feel guilty about that?
What's that got to do with anything. This is about Meghan Markle. I didn't get hired because I was a woman--there wasn't much male competition in the field of elementary school teachers.

But when my husband was trying to find a job they kept hiring women to fill a quota. We had to move away for him to get a job. Time to read the OP and get back on topic.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What's that got to do with anything. This is about Meghan Markle. I didn't get hired because I was a woman--there wasn't much male competition in the field of elementary school teachers.

But when my husband was trying to find a job they kept hiring women to fill a quota. We had to move away for him to get a job. Time to read the OP and get back on topic.
But you said that we can’t hire the most qualified people in this country. Well you can’t say that and exclude yourself from that critique. Right? That’s a very profound statement

So maybe you should make your statement a lot less general and make it a lot more specific.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But you said that we can’t hire the most qualified people in this country. Well you can’t say that and exclude yourself from that critique. Right? That’s a very profound statement

So maybe you should make your statement a lot less general and make it a lot more specific.
You know exactly what I mean. But since it's possible that you can't figure it out, there are these things called quotas. They exist for getting into some universities and they exist for getting some jobs, some exist for immigration.

In the case of women, many times if a man and a woman are equally qualified, the job is required to go to the woman. The original intent was good but it's gone too far and isn't necessary now. I think more could be done to assure equality by women suing for equal pay for equal work instead of employers not being allowed to hire the person who is most qualified.

I already made it specific when I described how my husband had to move away because even though he was very qualified, there were quotas to be filled so the jobs always went to women. These women usually didn't last more than a few months because they couldn't handle the jobs--the qualifications were equal on paper, that was all.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
So - it's acceptable to put a lie in a headline, but not to call out the liar for doing so? This board really does not like to operate in a fact-based reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies