Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Did Worse In The Eyes of The Court of Public Opinion
Roseanne Joke? 11 7.53%
Or Jussie Smollet Hoax? 135 92.47%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,976,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I think both situations stand alone by themselves are legitimate problems.

Roseanne Barr shows us that there are still plenty of racists out there. Jussie shows us that, in this day and age, we are so conditioned to believe a victim before we know the facts.

And both Roseanne and Jussie will face consequences. Roseanne was kicked off her show and all but blackballed from Hollywood, her acting career is probably over. Jussie, if it is proven he lied about the attack, will probably serve time in jail.
Jussie will serve jail time, but he won't have his career ruined? Are you sure you are netruel? I'm sure you voted for Roseanne over jussie smollet?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:51 PM

999 posts, read 550,485 times
I don't see how you could even compare these two situations as they are completely different.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I don't see how you could even compare these two situations as they are completely different.
Of course they cna be compared. Both incidents obtained attraction by msm. Both people had their careers ruined. One person is pro trump, while the other is anti trump. It didn't matter what their position was or is, both actors got their lives ruined. However jussie smollett situation is worse due to his actions VS Roseanne only using word that was comical.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 AM

29,192 posts, read 22,240,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's a pretty horrible mis-characterization of the severity of bringing false hate crime charges.

Do you even know WHY they differentiate a hate crime from just a regular murder or assault etc?

Well, it's the same damage to society caused by the false charge.

I'm betting that if police showed up at your highschool and started questioning people, taking evidence etc. because a girl from a rival school said your basketball team tried to murder her but got caught lying about it because she didn't like your school....you'd remember.

All you're doing here is trying to minimize the severity of what he did because of your political stance and it's ugly to watch.
No.
I'm minimizing the damage Jussie did because his plan backfired and blew him up. It never caused any damages to anyone else but him.And once the damage to him was done, he hasn't tried to repeat it again differently.

Roseanne has damaged herself and other people's reputations repeatedly and persistently, and continued on even after she was warned, and then punished, for continuing the slander.

The Roseanne Show was her last chance at redemption, and she knew it from the start, but she couldn't stop herself from continuing to slander others. So, in my view, she's the worse of the two.

To me, Roseanne is exactly like a guy who is warned not to whip the dog because the dog bites when whipped. So just to see if the dog does bite, she whips the dog and gets bitten hard. Then because she was bitten, she whips the dog again for getting bitten and the dog bites her again, even harder.

That's not political. That's some folk's twisted behavior and mentality. Some people are simply habitually defiant. I believe Roseanne is one of them.

Right now, at the moment. None of us know yet whether Jussie will be as persistent as Roseanne in his weirdness. If he shows any evidence that he's also habitually defiant, I'll change my mind if he does damage himself more than Roseanne damaged herself.

We aren't talking about hate crime here, nor murder, nor assault. Or course I would remember something like that, but you're only deflecting your reply away from the reality of what actually happened.

Neither of the people we are discussing went to those areas. We are talking about slander, half-truths and lies, attempts to deceive, and the self-damage that came from the people's words and actions.

You're right- a hate crime does damage others. Only if it it's a real hate crime that did actual damage. If it if it wasn't and it didn't, then it only damages the perpetrator.

You're also correct that watching it is ugly, no matter whether it's real or not. Most of us aren't crazy enough to go to the extremes both Jussie and Roseanne went to to try to gain some vague and meaningless victory over something we can't understand.

Both were acting in insane ways. One was like listening to a schizophrenic, and the other was acting like a half-wit. If you think Jussie was worse than Roseanne, that's fine with me.

The self-damage almost a 50/50 deal in my view, but as I mentioned, Jussie is younger, so he has more time left to regain some sanity, and once sane, he may find some redemption. Roseanne is older, and she has less time left to regain both her sanity and her former career.

If you think differently, that okey-dokey.

Both were fools for what they said and did. They were just marching in different ways down the same dead end street. But you aren't such a fool, and neither am I.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,062,885 times
Let me guess - is the point of this thread to make a comparison between two incomparable events to give the impression that being anti-racist or anti-Trump is worse than being racist or pro-Trump? Because I can see through that nonsense a mile away.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,908,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Let me guess - is the point of this thread to make a comparison between two incomparable events to give the impression that being anti-racist or anti-Trump is worse than being racist or pro-Trump? Because I can see through that nonsense a mile away.
in a nut shell -- this is it.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
So far you must be a jussie supporter?

Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 AM

24,422 posts, read 9,287,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
She didn't break any law and he likely has broken several, both state and fed.
Bingo. Lock it up. He broke actual laws.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,557,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No.
I'm minimizing the damage Jussie did because his plan backfired and blew him up. It never caused any damages to anyone else but him.And once the damage to him was done, he hasn't tried to repeat it again differently.

Roseanne has damaged herself and other people's reputations repeatedly and persistently, and continued on even after she was warned, and then punished, for continuing the slander.

The Roseanne Show was her last chance at redemption, and she knew it from the start, but she couldn't stop herself from continuing to slander others. So, in my view, she's the worse of the two.

To me, Roseanne is exactly like a guy who is warned not to whip the dog because the dog bites when whipped. So just to see if the dog does bite, she whips the dog and gets bitten hard. Then because she was bitten, she whips the dog again for getting bitten and the dog bites her again, even harder.

That's not political. That's some folk's twisted behavior and mentality. Some people are simply habitually defiant. I believe Roseanne is one of them.

Right now, at the moment. None of us know yet whether Jussie will be as persistent as Roseanne in his weirdness. If he shows any evidence that he's also habitually defiant, I'll change my mind if he does damage himself more than Roseanne damaged herself.

We aren't talking about hate crime here, nor murder, nor assault. Or course I would remember something like that, but you're only deflecting your reply away from the reality of what actually happened.

Neither of the people we are discussing went to those areas. We are talking about slander, half-truths and lies, attempts to deceive, and the self-damage that came from the people's words and actions.

You're right- a hate crime does damage others. Only if it it's a real hate crime that did actual damage. If it if it wasn't and it didn't, then it only damages the perpetrator.

You're also correct that watching it is ugly, no matter whether it's real or not. Most of us aren't crazy enough to go to the extremes both Jussie and Roseanne went to to try to gain some vague and meaningless victory over something we can't understand.

Both were acting in insane ways. One was like listening to a schizophrenic, and the other was acting like a half-wit. If you think Jussie was worse than Roseanne, that's fine with me.

The self-damage almost a 50/50 deal in my view, but as I mentioned, Jussie is younger, so he has more time left to regain some sanity, and once sane, he may find some redemption. Roseanne is older, and she has less time left to regain both her sanity and her former career.

If you think differently, that okey-dokey.

Both were fools for what they said and did. They were just marching in different ways down the same dead end street. But you aren't such a fool, and neither am I.
I usually agree with you, but this time I do not.

If it turns out that Jussie lied (I'm withholding judgment on that, because he, like everyone, is entitled to a fair trial, although it doesn't look good for him), he has not hurt only himself. He has hurt everyone who actually has been the victim of a hate crime, by giving providing ammunition to those inclined to dismiss them all as hoaxes. There are many such people already, as I am sure you have seen here. There is no excuse for increasing their number.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:00 AM

24,365 posts, read 22,967,222 times
Smollett might be able to cop a plea saying he was on Ambien or some other drug and had no idea what he was doing. Its saved some others from jail.
But I think he knew what he was doing and he's going to be crucified by the left as much as the right. He's done damage to them and they are an unforgiving bunch. They need to make an example of him to clean up their reputations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies