Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:14 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Or, stated differently, half a million gave their lives trying to free slaves, and half a million died trying to keep slaves.
Nobody was fighting for or against slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 05:17 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I will sell DC to the highest bidder!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I think most of us are just having fun with this, at least I am. We all know that's not going to happen, so just have a little fun with it.
True, it's never going to happen, but perhaps someone should tell those signing the petition

Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
How did you know they were lesbians? And so what if they were? And what's wrong with a Subaru? It's not as if they are Bentley's or something. Many Coloradans like Subarus because they're good in the snow.

Good thing you now live in Florida where the lesbians drive Chevy's.
Shoot. Every 4th car in Idaho is a Suby for the same reason!

The fact is, the Subaru was the first car that was always good to go in the winter, was cheap to drive, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. Subies were never fashion-forward. At best, they went from ugly to bland, but they sure can do good on black ice or plowing through 3 feet of snow. For years and years, before they finally wear out.

That was over 30 years ago, and Subaru only got better at doing their thing over that time. All the other car companies are only playing catch-up. Subies are still one of the best cars anyone can own in snow country, and you had better not be calling some old grizzled guys who swear by them here lesbians!

Or in Montana, either, where they are just as popular. Or in Canada, where they're just as popular.

I'm no lesbian, and the last car I bought was a Subaru. I'm the guy on the block who pulls the SUVs out of the snowbank this winter with it.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I agree with the above, suburus are practical and popular in snow country in Canada too.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Hmmmm... That just gave me an idea. I wonder if Mexico is in the market for a nice, large piece of ocean-front property.
Hell yeah!!

Old 02-22-2019, 07:39 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Shoot. Every 4th car in Idaho is a Suby for the same reason!

The fact is, the Subaru was the first car that was always good to go in the winter, was cheap to drive, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. Subies were never fashion-forward. At best, they went from ugly to bland, but they sure can do good on black ice or plowing through 3 feet of snow. For years and years, before they finally wear out.

That was over 30 years ago, and Subaru only got better at doing their thing over that time. All the other car companies are only playing catch-up. Subies are still one of the best cars anyone can own in snow country, and you had better not be calling some old grizzled guys who swear by them here lesbians!

Or in Montana, either, where they are just as popular. Or in Canada, where they're just as popular.

I'm no lesbian, and the last car I bought was a Subaru. I'm the guy on the block who pulls the SUVs out of the snowbank this winter with it.
Yeah, that wouldn't go over well in Alaska, either. I never really paid much attention to them until I spent a couple of years up there and saw them all over the place. Now I'd kind of like to have one someday. When people are as loyal to a brand as Subaru folks are, there's usually a reason.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It would get control of the water. Think about that for a moment.

Think about what? Very little water flows North. Most rivers in Montana East of the Divide flow East and South. West of the Divide, most rivers flow West into the Columbia River. It would be nearly impossible to shut those rivers off or "control" the water.

Our Subaru Outback Sedan and Station wagons were nice in snow, to be sure. However, the AMC Eagle sedans, station wagons and SX/4s from 1980 through 1986 were actually better IMO. But, they suffer from rust at the welds where the stub frames are attached to the unit body. If it wasn't for that, I would be looking for one to rebuild and use for a daily driver in the winter!
Then again, our PT Cruiser does just fine on snow and ice, with M&S rated tires. I really do not need AWD in snow. I don't really need 4X4, either, except for the ATVs with snow plows on them.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:07 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Hmmmm... That just gave me an idea. I wonder if Mexico is in the market for a nice, large piece of ocean-front property.

Of course, places like California stand in the way of your dream to turn our democracy into a hard-right, totalitarian nightmare. But I'll let you in on a little secret-----you wouldn't like living in such a place, any more than I would. Everyone except the ruling class would be in poverty and in constant jeopardy of being sent to our version of the Siberian labor camps. All autocratic regimes end up the same, regardless of whether they start out claiming to be right-wing or left-wing.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 02-22-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
NEWS 5 - Cleveland

I think this is a great idea. Why not help pay off the deficit incurred by the republicans with their tax cuts for billionaires by selling off sparsely populated republican states which have nothing to offer other than landscapes which have been destroyed by fracking activities and strip mining? Wyoming would be another great state to get rid of. It's about time that its 550,000 republicans are prevented from having the same clout in the electoral college as New York and California, We could give Canada a package deal by throwing in North and South Dakota, as well. Have you ever been to N. Dakota? I have and believe me, no one will miss it.

People keep on saying that the US should become two different countries. I think this idea is better yet. Let the US remain one country and sucker Canada into taking our rejects. I bet the folks in Gillette and Fargo would never even notice the difference.
Uhhhh... let’s just call it a dumb idea. Montana provides 10% of global wheat just from ONE area called the Golden Triangle.

Talk about cutting off one’s nose to spite their face.

I’d say sell AL,LA,SC back to France or even Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies