Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 AM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
ABS is for safety reasons. A silencer is to conceal murder and nothing else. If there were any safety aspects to it, police would be using it.

Think of it. If a shooter in a classroom is not heard in the next classroom over, more unsuspecting victims await him.
OMG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Suppressors are legal to purchase in Europe without any kind of extra licensing or fees because they are safety devices and are encouraged to be used. They don't make guns silent, nor can you secretly assassinate someone without them knowing. The "poot poot" sound you hear in movies is a total Hollywood fabrication.

It's like a muffler for a car. You can still hear the car, it just lowers the sound to safer levels.

The $200 tax stamp requirement was designed to prevent anyone except for rich people from buying them. When the law was enacted in 1934 (because of gangsters who don't follow laws anyways), $200 in 2019 was equivalent to about $3500.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:39 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
Quote:
ABS is for safety reasons. A silencer is to conceal murder and nothing else. If there were any safety aspects to it, police would be using it.

Think of it. If a shooter in a classroom is not heard in the next classroom over, more unsuspecting victims await him.
This is what happens when you get all of your gun “knowledge” from movies. Dear god, this is just embarrassing.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:53 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Suppressors are legal to purchase in Europe without any kind of extra licensing or fees because they are safety devices and are encouraged to be used.
It depends on the country, but it is true in some European countries.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Says the man who thinks hearing protectors are called "head phones". And range officers yelling commands to shooters is the default norm without any other alert system at all.
You have obviously not used an outdoor range in a rural area. There are ONLY voice commands. And they call them head phones to differentiate from ear plugs which are not allowed as the only thing for ear protection.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:

They don't silence a gun, read and learn something.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You have obviously not used an outdoor range in a rural area. There are ONLY voice commands. And they call them head phones to differentiate from ear plugs which are not allowed as the only thing for ear protection.
And you have obviously missed my point entirely. I've shot at ranges all over North America from private property "farm" ranges through military and club ranges to your garden variety range you're now speaking of and the point I was making was that no range with multiple shooters all firing at same time should be reliant upon voice commands only. Just because the U.S. has routinely allowed such stuff to go on does not equate to common sense.

Nowhere I've shot were they ever referred to by the locals as headphones to differentiate them from insertable ear plugs. I've heard them called "muffs" but never headphones as headphones implies sound "transmission", NOT cancelling.

Oh, and as to suppressor effectiveness I knew there had to be some info out there to counter the silliness that suppressors do not "significantly" cancel noise:

A Glock 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBofwiYwGho

Note he removes his hearing protectors? Note also his target hits are louder than his firearm's reports.

Note also in the comments section; "Scary how silent that thing is".

Another method also proven effective for the 'snappy' little .22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Old 02-23-2019, 04:00 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Suppressors are simply mufflers for a rifle/pistol. I think in Europe, some country's requires them for hunting, for safety etc.
The government has used the ATF to extract more money from the US Citizen for almost 80 years. Think what 200 dollars was in 1950. It was a lot of money then.
It does suppress the noise, thats all.
Politicians really need to step back and stop regulating/controlling people. Its getting old.
Going to buy another damn suppressor I guess......
Always good having extra fingerprint cards and pics laying around in safe...

Old 02-23-2019, 04:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see that addressing silencers is wide sweeping and claims that ammunition are just an accessory are absurd. They can live without silencers, this is an argument about minutia. Go make your case that silencers are critical to the second amendment, this is where gun rights advocates look foolish and petty.
Kind of like the “oh my god, it has a pistol grip” or “oh my god, it has a flash suppressor” or “oh my god, it has a bayonet lug” or my favourite “oh my god, it can shoot more than ten bullets”.

You mean that kind of foolish and petty?

Old 02-23-2019, 06:03 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't see that addressing silencers is wide sweeping and claims that ammunition are just an accessory are absurd. They can live without silencers, this is an argument about minutia. Go make your case that silencers are critical to the second amendment, this is where gun rights advocates look foolish and petty.
We can all live with silencers/supressors as well.

Not wide sweeping????

Liberal great slippery slope begins with statements like, 'not wide sweeping'.

If a 15 round mag is 'safer' than a 10 round mag, then a 5 round mag is safer than a 10 round mag. A three round mag stands to reason to be safer than a 5 round mag..... any firearm that has a detachable magazine is an 'assault weapon'... so goes the liberal slippery slope argument that starts with the statement, 'not wide sweeping..'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies