Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The theory behind why some sports organizations developed their policies were, even though trans female athletes have advantages when it comes to bone density and muscle mass, they have disadvantages when it comes to speed and stamina from the constant dosing of Testosterone Suppression. In many sports bone density and muscle mass are not always key factors in being successful in those sports.
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If you have a physical advantage over others in your chosen sport due to your biology then you should not be able to participate in that sport. Especially when there is money, scholarships, other benefits to winners. It is shameful that these trans athletes would even consider this to be fair play.
Well - that would also eliminate Michael Phelps who had incredible wingspan and other things due to his inherent biology.

Per the post above - are we sure this is actually happening?

Because if the stats bear it out - I agree with you. But I do want to see the stats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
This focuses on how Martina is choosing to respond... will she "walk away" or not?

Martina Navratilova is at a political change crossroads, whether she realizes it or not

She said...

Well, I certainly stumbled into a hornets’ nest. The support I normally get from ‘my people’, the LGBT community, was replaced by a barrage of quite nasty personal attacks and I was dropped (jettisoned is a better word) as an ambassador for Athlete Ally.

Conversely, some publications and people that I am at odds with on most issues, such as the Washington Examiner (gasp) and James Woods (double gasp), were strongly supportive of my opinions. Those are unwelcome bedfellows. So where did I go wrong? Or did I go wrong?

The author responds...

Navratilova is experiencing the struggle between emotions and logic. She didn’t think there would be such a disagreement between the two. Her friends are leading with emotion, and she wanted to lead with logic. People like James Woods are defending her out of logic, too, not because they love her. And she is discovering the viciousness of the left towards someone who violates the rules of groupthink.

I think this represents much of what is occurring today in America in various areas... groupthink and peer pressure vs. logic and truth.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:13 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Interesting.

Well - that would also eliminate Michael Phelps who had incredible wingspan and other things due to his inherent biology.

Per the post above - are we sure this is actually happening?

Because if the stats bear it out - I agree with you. But I do want to see the stats
You may find these thoughts interesting with regards to the Phelps argument.
From post #74 of a similar thread.
Transgender Sprinters Finish 1st, 2nd at Girls Indoor Track Championships

"Ok, let's look at that empirically.

2018 world swimming championships, 200m free.

Mens times 141.49-142.71 was the range from 1st to 8th place

Womens times 151.38 to 154.82

While there can be other factors like foot size, arm length etc. giving advantage to one swimmer over the other, here you can see a 10 second differential due to gender among the worlds elite and a 1-3 second spread due to everything else.

That's the very reason why they created two separate competition classes in the first place.

Just something to think about. The numbers above prove the magnitude of the difference isn't remotely comparable to other factors."

Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Hilarious seeing Feminists and Trans getting at each other's throats. Martina is right and this will only turn off normal people from LGBT. A rare win for sanity.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lgbtq...trans-athletes

Diversity, Diversity, Diversity. It's that diversity of opinion that is so important. Oh wait.......

Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Athlete Ally is a powerful organization when it comes to LGBT inclusion in sports, however not as powerful as the organization that I am part of "You Can Play Project". Athlete Ally is made up of mostly current and former athletes.
When Martina first spoke out against trans athletes, AA reached out to her to discuss the issue. She never responded, only to further issue negative statements. Such as,
Quote;
" a man can decide to be female, take hormones if required by whatever sporting organisation is concerned, win everything in sight and perhaps earn a small fortune, and then reverse his decision and go back to making babies if he so desires. It’s insane and it’s cheating".

She refuses to discuss the fact that trans athletes are not "winning everything in site", and men are not becoming women just to compete as women and later in life going back to being a man as implied.

The thing that set Martina off was the cyclist Rachel Mckinnon that recently placed first in a cycling championship. Evidebntly she ignores the fact that Mckinnon has competed 86 times, winning 26 times, placing in the top 50 percent 51 times while placing in the bottom 50 percent 34 times. Far from displaying "clear advantages".
https://www.road-results.com/racer/113669

Martina does defend her friend, former coach and trans tennis player Renee Richards, only because she did not have a penis while competing. A little inconsistency in her belief.

Now Martina has every right to voice her opinion and become an advocate against trans athletes, but certainly can not blame an organization that advocates for trans athletes to allow her to keep her seat on it's advisory board.
You don't know anything about the sport of cycling if you think winning 26 out of 86 times isn't "dominating" and if you think placing in the "top 50%" (no one in the sport or who follows the sport ever speaks in those terms) or the "bottom 50%" is a useful data point in isolation.

I really wish ideologues who try to weigh in on issues they don't understand would first attempt to gain some knowledge.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:25 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The bottom line in all of this to me is that the genders were separated in the first place because of physical differences that would make competition for females nearly impossible. After that came, a long fight leading up to title IX, which I also agree with. There are many proven societal advantages for girls to be involved in sports.

If someone is going to make the case that you allow trans men, whom I fully support in almost every other way, to turn womens sports on it's ear then an argument could be made that there should be no gender delineation thus unraveling decades of progress in women's equality.

Martina Navratilova was right in the first place. She's not banning anyone or keeping anyone out, she just wants them to compete along established biological delineations that were established specifically because men had too big of an advantage.

She isn't keeping them from competing but rather holding that the inherent advantage that they have was the entire precedent for dividing sports in the first place. Frankly, allowing this would in my mind open up to legal challenge the removal of all gender barriers in sports and no longer having a separation of men and women.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:27 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The bottom line in all of this to me is that the genders were separated in the first place because of physical differences that would make competition for females nearly impossible. After that came, a long fight leading up to title IX, which I also agree with. There are many proven societal advantages for girls to be involved in sports.

If someone is going to make the case that you allow trans men, whom I fully support in almost every other way, to turn womens sports on it's ear then an argument could be made that there should be no gender delineation thus unraveling decades of progress in women's equality.

Martina Navratilova was right in the first place. She's not banning anyone or keeping anyone out, she just wants them to compete along established biological delineations that were established specifically because men had too big of an advantage.

She isn't keeping them from competing but rather holding that the inherent advantage that they have was the entire precedent for dividing sports in the first place. Frankly, allowing this would in my mind open up to legal challenge the removal of all gender barriers in sports and no longer having a separation of men and women.
The problem for many (not me) is that the recognition of the bold may stray into other areas of the culture.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Tow the party line or be ousted....simple concept!

Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You don't know anything about the sport of cycling if you think winning 26 out of 86 times isn't "dominating" and if you think placing in the "top 50%" (no one in the sport or who follows the sport ever speaks in those terms) or the "bottom 50%" is a useful data point in isolation.

I really wish ideologues who try to weigh in on issues they don't understand would first attempt to gain some knowledge.
The point is Mckinnon is not winning everything just like all other trans females who have under gone Testosterone Suppresion Therapy.
And what exactly are issues I do not understand, and whats up with the ideologue BS?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
The point is Mckinnon is not winning everything just like all other trans females who have under gone Testosterone Suppresion Therapy.
And what exactly are issues I do not understand, and whats up with the ideologue BS?
No, the point is that McKinnon is indeed dominant in cycling but the ideologues know nothing about the sport and figure that since 26 divided by 86 is 30%, 30% can't possibly be dominant. They would conclude the same about a trans baseball player who "only" gets a hit 30% of the time.

They have no idea what constitutes dominance in these sports but that's irrelevant, anyways, because even if it's conclusively established that one of these trans athletes is dominating, they'll simply move onto a different argument to rationalize why they should still be able to compete as women. These are the sorts of tactics that true believing ideologues routinely make. And that's all across the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies