Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You must not get out much...

I'll leave it at that to keep this response civil.

At least you have probably never worked at a soup kitchen or a place like the Food Bank, or walked through a homeless camp, but if you do ever venture to do so, please do yourself a favor and don't ask anyone taking that bag of groceries why they CHOOSE to be poor.
It would be enormously helpful if you could provide one specific representative example.

Would the question be insulting because people can’t handle the truth or because it’s wrong?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 03-02-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Always someone thinking topics like this need to be driven off the rails with paranoia about communism...

Sometimes you seem to offer something worthwhile to consider, to add to the discussion. Other times I really have to wonder about these "contributions" probably best to just ignore, but just FYI, I'm a business person! I've done well competing in the private sector. I'm not a communist. I'm a capitalist. Please don't try to make this argument that anything related to the topic of this thread needs to involve communism!

You're like Trump now trying to promote the same sort of propaganda. Works for numb skulls, but for those who know better, it's just plain dumb and shameful!
Confiscating people’s money and giving to the poor is precisely communism.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 03-02-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-02-2019, 10:12 AM

I challenge everyone to name one person who does the following but remains poor even according to the American poverty standard:
1. Obey the law and stay away from drugs or execcsive alcohol
2. Focus on useful education such as STEM
3. Don’t have children until having the financial and mental capacity to support the children through college
4. Show up at work in time and do what’s been told without an attitude
5. Live below his means

Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
"Possibly true?" Ignoring facts that don't suit you again?
The facts are that 7 of the bottom 10 school districts are in blue state NE US, with many of them squandering HUGE per pupil spending as the article specifically stated. /shrug

Old 03-02-2019, 11:34 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I see little reason for optimism in closing the effort gap, which is vast in America.
Sadly, 100% correct.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:24 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
I tend to see the same, but if/when a country as wealthy as ours decides we should not concern ourselves with those dealing with poverty and/or not try to mitigate the challenges of poverty in the ways that we can, that's the day we stop being the Americans I'd like to think we strive to be. .
I would be happy to help non achievers overcome their effort gap.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Listen, please. It is not rocket science to understand that poor parenting -- or no parenting -- is a big part of the problem, but teaching a bad parent how to be a good parent is not as easy as you also seem to insist.
Giving them more money, which is what you want to do, is not going to solve the problem.

And, you can't solve the problem of poor parenting by allowing poor parents to blatantly refuse to attend the free tax-payer funded parenting classes.

You have to start somewhere.

Since they have no intention of attending the free tax-payer funded parenting classes of their own free-will, you have to compel their attendance, and you do that by cutting their benefits if they refuse to attend weekly classes so long as minors are living in their household.

Some will become better parents, some it may take 10 years of attending weekly classes to be better parents and some never will, but the point is that at least some will become better parents, and you're now better off than you ever possibly could be otherwise.

Your method of giving them more money without holding them responsible or accountable will always result in failure and perpetuate poverty.

Quote:
Smaller classrooms and better teachers for starters maybe?
It was common for a single teacher to teach 40-60 students in grades K-12, and that's how it was for two centuries.

America did just fine.

So, why can't a single teacher teach 35 students in a single grade level today?

Many teachers never even attended college. It was only later that Teacher's Colleges arose, and then even later before the States started mandating requirements to be a teacher. Unions came after that.

The obvious conclusion is the States and unions have made things worse, not better.

Quote:
I tend to see the same, but if/when a country as wealthy as ours decides we should not concern ourselves with those dealing with poverty and/or not try to mitigate the challenges of poverty in the ways that we can, that's the day we stop being the Americans I'd like to think we strive to be.
You're never going to do that by throwing money at the problem.

That's the difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Democrats refuse to hold individuals accountable for their actions or lack of action, blame everyone but those people for their plight, then lavish those people with money as bribes for votes.

The only real effective solution rests with hold them accountable and demanding they take action to improve their plight.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times
Deleted until I learn howto convey want I want to say without an aggressive tone.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 03-02-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I challenge everyone to name one person who does the following but remains poor even according to the American poverty standard:
1. Obey the law and stay away from drugs or execcsive alcohol
2. Focus on useful education such as STEM
3. Don’t have children until having the financial and mental capacity to support the children through college
4. Show up at work in time and do what’s been told without an attitude
5. Live below his means
Anybody? Nobody?

I was told people didn’t choose to be poor in America.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Deleted until I learn howto convey want I want to say without an aggressive tone.
As long as you back it up with facts, I have no problem with the tone.

Truth is often offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies