Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

I suspect this question has been posed by way of another thread in the past, but I've not seen it yet...

This forum often touches upon what is racist, and of course no one admits to being a racist even though their comments seem to suggest they are. Observing this for so long has me wondering how we can actually determine if we have racist beliefs and/or tendencies. What questions might help us know whether we are racist, or xenophobic or mysogynist, white supremacist, etc?

Especially with Trump's wall and all accusations along these lines supposedly behind what drives many people to be for or against, would be nice if we could truly know how much support is truly free of any racist or xenophobic influence. What questions can we pose? What questionnaires?

Anyone who thinks these problems are not alive and well in America is a fool, but to what extent Americans are racist, how many, this is the question (of interest to me anyway). In part brought to mind upon reading this article this morning...

Coast Guard officer accused of wanting to kill Democrats and journalists was inspired by Norwegian mass shooting, feds say

Court documents say Hasson espoused extremist and white supremacist views and allege that he relied on the manifesto of Anders Breivik, a Norwegian who was convicted in 2011 of two terror attacks that killed 77 people.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/polit...ist/index.html

Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
No.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Aren't we all "racist" when we dig down deep ? I'm not saying overtly racist, but just something that comes out when we see something we don't like.

For example, there are some black people I do not care for, BUT, there are some white people I do not care for either. I tend to judge each person on their own merits. If a person, of any race, does dishonest or other bad acts, I have to say they are on my **** list.

That being said, there are tons of people of other races that I truly admire and look up to.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Groups like the Black Hebrew Israelites... The Nation of Islam.... And the blacks who have been attacking and beating up Orthodox Jews in New York City comes to mind. Lots of racism from every ethnicity in America doesn't matter what color. This appears to be another liberal thread out to paint all whites as racist... And that only whites can be racist. This is an obvious symptom of liberal white guilt and liberal political correctness.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:13 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect this question has been posed by way of another thread in the past, but I've not seen it yet...

This forum often touches upon what is racist, and of course no one admits to being a racist even though their comments seem to suggest they are. Observing this for so long has me wondering how we can actually determine if we have racist beliefs and/or tendencies. What questions might help us know whether we are racist, or xenophobic or mysogynist, white supremacist, etc?

Especially with Trump's wall and all accusations along these lines supposedly behind what drives many people to be for or against, would be nice if we could truly know how much support is truly free of any racist or xenophobic influence. What questions can we pose? What questionnaires?

Anyone who thinks these problems are not alive and well in America is a fool, but to what extent Americans are racist, how many, this is the question (of interest to me anyway). In part brought to mind upon reading this article this morning...

Coast Guard officer accused of wanting to kill Democrats and journalists was inspired by Norwegian mass shooting, feds say

Court documents say Hasson espoused extremist and white supremacist views and allege that he relied on the manifesto of Anders Breivik, a Norwegian who was convicted in 2011 of two terror attacks that killed 77 people.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/polit...ist/index.html
We all have racists thoughts once in a while, the point is to recognize them as such, challenge your own preconceptions, and don't act upon them.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:25 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I consider myself a "classist", but not a racist because I consider the 'Jerry Springer' guests and wealthy exploiters of the poor to be worse than the great majority of those of us in the middle and working poor classes.

A person's race, color and/or ancestry is irrelevant to my opinion of him or her, as I firmly believe there are good and bad people in almost every category. (The exceptions being such categories as mass murderers, child rapists, etc.).

However, that being said, I do admit that I also judge people based on such things as whether or not they smoke cigarettes, if they dress in a "trashy" way (imo), If they knowingly and proudly make racist remarks, etc.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:27 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
No, I disagree with "we all have racist thoughts" rhetoric. Absolutely, not true.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Racist believe in equal outcome, while everyone else believes in equal opportunity.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Aren't we all "racist" when we dig down deep ? I'm not saying overtly racist, but just something that comes out when we see something we don't like.

For example, there are some black people I do not care for, BUT, there are some white people I do not care for either. I tend to judge each person on their own merits. If a person, of any race, does dishonest or other bad acts, I have to say they are on my **** list.

That being said, there are tons of people of other races that I truly admire and look up to.
I have to wonder, but although we might all sense a bit of what you are explaining, I think the real question is to what extent some of us are racist vs others. There are obviously wide degrees or varied levels of how we feel about "something we don't like."

Speaking strictly about how we feel about people with different skin color, do you have a different reaction when someone approaches you on the street with skin color different from yours? Or if they are your waiter? Or driving your taxi? Or doing your medical exam? Or speaking with an accent...?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:34 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I have to wonder, but although we might all sense a bit of what you are explaining, I think the real question is to what extent some of us are racist vs others. There are obviously wide degrees or varied levels of how we feel about "something we don't like."

Speaking strictly about how we feel about people with different skin color, do you have a different reaction when someone approaches you on the street with skin color different from yours? Or if they are your waiter? Or driving your taxi? Or doing your medical exam? Or speaking with an accent...?
There is a difference between racist and prejudice. Many people have prejudices but not racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies