Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The process is already underway. It starts by us demanding for reparations. Any politician who does not support this, will not get the black vote.

And people wonder why race relationships are still problematic in the US with this type of attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
How exactly would that money be put to use?

Let’s not just say oh no one cares. Yes, investing in ourselves is great. HOW though? How goes America not believe in the black community?
It is exactly about the application of funds. When one of the branches of GM is suffering and money is to be invested, the money isn’t simply handed over by the governing corporation and here you go. There has to be a plan.

You are saying reparations are needed. I am asking what would be done? You say invest. I ask for the details of the invested funds.

How do we repair socioeconomic inequality by throwing money at the problem? How will it be spent?

Don't ask ME how the money would be put to use. You KNOW that is simply deflection. The idea of reparation does not necessarily mean handing money over to individuals. There are many, many different ways it can be applied. However, I am not the arbiter of how it will be applied....so why ask me? One is either for or against the ideal of working to bring blacks up to economic parity in a way that blacks can and would be able to sustain it themselves after the effort, minus a regression in racism.

Businesses use money to solve problems all the time. How can you solve problems in a capitalistic construct......without spending money. That is the question.

You are simply against the idea.....PERIOD. Stop making it seem like you don't understand how it can be made to work. You are not SEEKING ways for it to work in your mind. Even if I told you...you would reject it because you are against it. You will only allow yourself to see it not being feasible....regardless of what I say.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:30 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
The process is already underway. It starts by us demanding for reparations. Any politician who does not support this, will not get the black vote.
I mean this without malice or trying to be mean but it's never gonna happen. There are too many logistical problems and issues for something like to actually be put into place.

I wonder how many black people in 2019 actually think that they are owed a reparation.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I mean this without malice or trying to be mean but it's never gonna happen. There are too many logistical problems and issues for something like to actually be put into place.

I wonder how many black people in 2019 actually think that they are owed a reparation.
Only the lazy ones with their hands out. Most that I know are hard working individuals who are contributors to society. The ones with their hands out are freeloaders looking to wade through life offering nothing and expecting a free ride in return. Most end up dead or in jail.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:35 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
As I said, let that happen. We need to know the true face of America. It is not a post racial place. Let all the true feelings come to the front.
Yeah, I know what you said. Basically, that whites who vote against forcing people who had nothing to do with slavery giving $1 trillion to people who were never slaves are racist!

The way to a lower-middle class life or better isn't that difficult.....get a marketable education and don't have babies until you are married and able to support them.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:46 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yeah, I know what you said. Basically, that whites who vote against forcing people who had nothing to do with slavery giving $1 trillion to people who were never slaves are racist!

The way to a lower-middle class life or better isn't that difficult.....get a marketable education and don't have babies until you are married and able to support them.
It may be saying that Americans in general don't know enough concerning our history and present day. I hear a lot of comments on here that makes me think that way. Ever since the end of slavery, black Americans have worked their tails off. To say we have to do this, do that, and everything will be alright shows you don't fully understand our history. We've done everything and more, but this country has put us in a hole. Reparations will bring us out. That's why I say it's something that is owed. People want to erase all that history for their own reasons.

None of that matters now of course. Black Americans aren't backing down from this. So it's going to come to a head.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:46 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Don't ask ME how the money would be put to use. You KNOW that is simply deflection. The idea of reparation does not necessarily mean handing money over to individuals. There are many, many different ways it can be applied. However, I am not the arbiter of how it will be applied....so why ask me? One is either for or against the ideal of working to bring blacks up to economic parity in a way that blacks can and would be able to sustain it themselves after the effort, minus a regression in racism.

Businesses use money to solve problems all the time. How can you solve problems in a capitalistic construct......without spending money. That is the question.

You are simply against the idea.....PERIOD. Stop making it seem like you don't understand how it can be made to work. You are not SEEKING ways for it to work in your mind. Even if I told you...you would reject it because you are against it. You will only allow yourself to see it not being feasible....regardless of what I say.
You have me totally wrong. I am genuinely curious about how it would work. I do not see handing over money to people as helping them. Read: Lottery winners.

I’m against that completely.

I’ve seen community investment and it does work. But there’s a plan.

Do not think you know who I am. You don’t.

I don’t think it’s not feasible. I think it’s pointless to start a new program when there are so many in place already.

You just believe everyone is racist and that’s why the black community is held back. Keep thinking that way and it will stay that way. Is that a fair assumption? No?

There are so many opportunities and resources available to everyone. Use them.

If you want something new, brainstorm it and come in with a plan. I’m all ears.

I hate giving money to programs that don’t work. I’d much rather it go to one that does, not simply add on to what we already have.

I have my own business. I only spend on what will work. I don’t add something to it that I’m already spending money on. I will, however, replace something if it’s a better fit. If the outcome will be better and provide greater results.

It’s fine if you don’t know and perfectly ok if you think what’s currently in place isn’t working. But we can’t just say oh we need reparations.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
It may be saying that Americans in general don't know enough concerning our history and present day. I hear a lot of comments on here that makes me think that way. Ever since the end of slavery, black Americans have worked their tails off. To say we have to do this, do that, and everything will be alright shows you don't fully understand our history. We've done everything and more, but this country has put us in a hole. Reparations will bring us out. That's why I say it's something that is owed. People want to erase all that history for their own reasons.

None of that matters now of course. Black Americans aren't backing down from this. So it's going to come to a head.

You're 12% of the population. Who do you actually think you control?

Delusions of grandeur

Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Only the lazy ones with their hands out. Most that I know are hard working individuals who are contributors to society. The ones with their hands out are freeloaders looking to wade through life offering nothing and expecting a free ride in return. Most end up dead or in jail.
Yeah, I was going to say something similar. The black people I know are just people working and doing their thing. I doubt that this type of thinking is on the minds of the average middle class black person.

I could be wrong, I don't know.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:

What do you mean "black Americans aren't backing down"? That sounds like some sort of threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies