Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Can a random person walk into your home and tell you how to rearrange your furniture or how to discipline your kids? Can they tell you what color to paint your walls?

Nope.
Because of property rights. It's a cornerstone of our foundation.

Quote:
You’re a random person in this case. You can’t tell me **** in reference to being black or pretty much anything else. You give directions to the Indians, Asians or Hispanics? Hell no you don’t.
Because you don't see the individual. For some reason you think human beings have different basic needs based on skin color when they don't. That's on you.

Quote:
So you can’t come over here and start chirping either.
lol As if you get to tell me what to do? Why in the world would someone listen to you since you are ignorant on this subject? Why would a white person listen to you? You hate whitey.

I get it. You were raised by 1 parent and weren't taught right from wrong like you would have been if you had 2 parents. That's just the breaks and has nothing to do with skin color. Granted government and democrats treat people like children and give them handouts. I'm sure you grew up with multiple handouts.
Adults learn and progress by accomplishing, not by being given things like they are children.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Still doesn't make sense. Just saying "OK, slavery was horrific (which of course it was) and the way blacks were treated until 1965 in the southern states particularly was despicable" is NOT going to help blacks. Blacks are clearly asking for more special programs to help blacks advance, and I'm asking WHAT, since we already have affirmative action. We already have aid for food, housing, medical, etc.

What else can whites do? And don't say reparations, since that will never happen.
The entire discussion is rent seeking. So what else can be done is more rent paid out to more people demanding it via these absurd cultural narratives. Inside every single "legacy of slavery" complaint is some privilege/money demand, and you don't need to drill real deep to find it.

So as I have said and will maintain as long as I still draw breath - the whole thing is a rent seeking scam. What does it ask of whites, you wonder? To feel more guilt about something not one single "white" person alive had anything to do with such that they will volunteer more rent to be paid to those who are demanding their increased feelings of guilt. Period. It isn't some noble genuflection before the altar of history or anything so lofty. It is simply "people in the past who look like you did bad stuff to people in the past who look like me, so you should compensate me on their behalf." Nothing more complicated than that, no matter what all those channeling heir inner-MLK like to think.

And no matter what you do, it will never be enough because nobody can erase history. If someone wants to hold a grudge about something from 50, 150 or 1,500 years ago, there's not much anyone in the present can do to help them out with that particular mentality. But they don't really want to be over that grudge, since it profits them to hold it. Thus, there's noting "whites can do" to settle the problem. It is not about solving the problem to begin with, since once solved, it would cease payments.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:00 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,233,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, so what else can white people do? We have affirmative action that helps blacks (and now Latinos) with preferential treatment for college admissions, and general programs that help low-income blacks with housing costs, food stamps, education expenses, medical care, and so forth, although of course that applies to low-income whites too.

It sounds to me that blacks (and some liberal whites) want programs that help ONLY needy blacks and ignore the needy whites - and run a campaign on just that very thing. That is not going to win elections - as we've seen - from the working-class whites who bristle at the idea that we should come up with another program designed to help ONLY blacks.
There needs to be a attitude change in America. No policy or hap hazard reparations bill will fix the issue as its a mental disorder we are dealing with here (the country not one group in particular). Honestly the issue is slowly working its way out. There is a delay because the process couldn't start in 1865, it was delayed 100+ years. It looks ugly now because we focus on the ugly, I am confident that things are getting better by the day, my kids have more white and Asian friends than black, and I have never had a bad experience with a parent or family member. I know I feel safe walking in "white parts of town" at night now compared to the 1980's, it still needs to improve though.

As a black man the Republican party infuriates me because they have only given lip service to bringing in black people to the party. I thought Michael Steele was a good pick, Republicans did great in 2010 mid term, then the RNC fired him because he said there was a recruiting problem in the black community. He was just telling the truth, you don't put a house fire out by spraying water in the pool, you have to address the fire.

There many blacks that are conservative in economic views, we have strong church ties, and we are moving up economically, folks we don't live in the "hood" anymore. But I cannot vote for the same party that gives passes to guys like Steve King. I also understand white folks frustration with democrats and Farrakhan, I cannot expect you to condemn racism while I kiss the ring of a racist myself.

I don't think the Democrats have all the solutions but only 1 party campaigns for the black vote. You need to throw a black parade, just a campaign stop in a black community would help, we don't even get the photo OP visits. . If I and a fiscal conservative got into a debate on tax policy or the "Green Deal" I guarantee we are a lot closer than you might think. We have nut jobs just like every other race. We have people that want to live off the system just like every other race. In fact I would argue social-economic status factors more than race when determining policy positions, if you leave party affiliation out of the equation.

Its easy to flame every comment on here that I don't like, but I am honest I believe things are better today. The constant bombardment of stuff from 24 hour news and social media makes the current times "feel" like we are going backward. I also believe that people that trash "black people" on this forum are completely different in person otherwise you would be living in middle of no-where Montana and would not be online responding to me.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 02-26-2019 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
So what good does it do anyone to dwell on something that no one living has any direct experience with? How are African Americans helped by focusing on something that is not part of any of their life experiences or even the experience of their grandparents? Should we also say that the Israelis should focus on the slavery of their ancestors under the Egyptians? To what end?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...213605922.html
It isn't about "being helped". No one asks Jews to forget about the pogroms and the Holocaust, and we should not. No one asks Japanese Americans to forget out the internment during WWII (while ironically, many Japanese-Americans fought against Japan in WWII). And where I live, there are some people flying Confederate flags, and probably have that "the South shall rise" mentality. That and the Lost Cause narrative. Sounds like some people never got over the South losing the Civil War. I will not forget about slavery. Slavery is pretty much the entire reason I'm in America. You can't tell me to "get over it" when it's literally the reason I'm here in the first place. I won't "get over it" because of the stuff that happened after slavery ended. Jim Crow, all kinds of human rights abuses than took place between the 1870s and 1960s. Tucker Carlson can shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I'm never forgetting about anything that happened to Black people up to the 1960s (and stuff that still happens). Got a problem with it? Too bad.

Some people want me to "shut up and get over it", not because of what it does to me. It is about them not wanting to hear about it. I don't care who doesn't want to hear about it.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM

8,330 posts, read 2,960,093 times
Whites were slaves. I moved on. Don't waste my time or energy on it. Much more important things to deal with.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Whites were slaves. I moved on. Don't waste my time or energy on it. Much more important things to deal with.
White people came to America as INDENTURED SERVANTS, not slaves. Indentured servitude involved a contract of around 7 years. Once the indentured servant's contract was up, he was free and got same land in the process. He voluntarily entered a contract. For Black slaves, it wasn't voluntary. Blacks did ask to come to America. They were captured and brought to the USA prisoners basically. Slavery was permanent and for life and it was hereditary. The children of slaves were also slaves for life, owned, bought and sold no different from cattle and houses.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
I don't see how a candidate can win if he or she makes his or her PRIMARY issue that involving the problems blacks are having. It's just a matter of statistics.

It is especially obvious when it is brought to the extreme - such as this bit with reparations. The vast majority of whites, who are still the majority of voters, are opposed to it, as are 1/3 of blacks themselves.

It would be far better for a candidate to run on solutions that will help ALL people, and thus blacks as well, as opposed to developing a program that specifically helps blacks only, and to the expense of whites to boot.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Mark Steyn is a very witty guy, who I enjoy listing to. He has the British bluntness that is satisfying to hear in these PC times. I agree with what he said.

If I were descended from slaves, I’d be thankful for their sacrifices, just as I’m thankful for the sacrifices of my ancestors who were poor farmers. I’d also be thankful that I live in this country instead of a mud hut in Africa. I would not be sitting around complaining, I’d be taking advantage of my opportunities, just like KamalaHarris and Corey Booker, and others like them have done.
What’s this “mud hut” bull****? People in Africa actually live in homes like everyone else. There’s squalor and bad conditions in many places, and some traditional tribes live in huts, but the notion that all Africans live in mud huts is a goddamn racial insult and I’m calling it out for what it is.

Bottom line is that YOUR ancestors came from conditions that were just as crappy or even worse than anything in Africa. They were dirt poor, had few if any skills, couldn’t make a living, and were among the losers in Europe. That’s why they left. The winners didn’t leave Europe. So you’re just as fortunate to be here as any African American...more even. Your ancestors saved your family from perpetual war torn squalor.

Furthermore, NONE of us African Americans would’ve even existed if our ancestors weren’t brought here because we’re a uniquely American creation. We’re descended from tribes that would’ve NEVER comingled and reproduced offspring. So no, we WOULD NOT be in mud huts because we wouldn’t be alive to begin with.

Matter of fact, you’re an American creation too unless your parents met in Europe.

So don’t tell us what we can or can’t complain about when this country denied African Americans the American Dream for most of our existence here while they gave white people fresh off the boat a full slate of opportunities and put them in line ahead of black people who’d already been here for centuries.

We will complain as much as we damn well please and you can do absolutely nothing about it.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because of property rights. It's a cornerstone of our foundation.

Because you don't see the individual. For some reason you think human beings have different basic needs based on skin color when they don't. That's on you.

lol As if you get to tell me what to do? Why in the world would someone listen to you since you are ignorant on this subject? Why would a white person listen to you? You hate whitey.

I get it. You were raised by 1 parent and weren't taught right from wrong like you would have been if you had 2 parents. That's just the breaks and has nothing to do with skin color. Granted government and democrats treat people like children and give them handouts. I'm sure you grew up with multiple handouts.
Adults learn and progress by accomplishing, not by being given things like they are children.
Exactly. I’m telling you what you can’t do and you’re not gonna do it either. You’re just talking on a laptop.

If you’re around a group of blacks, you know better than to bump ya gums. You wouldn’t DARE start spitting out your silly opinions because you know the consequences and don’t want it.

But go ahead and pretend as if you can get all slick mouthed with us like you do with your own folks. You and I know better. That’ll be our little secret though. Lol

Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What doesn't make sense & is not helpful is for folks to state they would've opposed the Civil Rights Acts if they could go back to that time. ( an ideology based on 'time travel' is particularly impotent. )

Equally nonsensical is for US to celebrate defend legitimize rationalize etc. the Confederate States of America in the present day.

Personally I think we 'need to move on from' that nonsensical stance. How much longer?
I'll be honest. I wish I didn't come from slavery. If I didn't come from slavery, I would likely be much happier. Now, the Civil War, whenever I see the Confederate flag flown, I see people who never got over losing the Civil War. Ironically, those are people who would tell me to "get over slavery".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media